Anyone try the Cotton Skout binocular harness? Also considering Marsupial & AGC.

Kushtekaa

FNG
I moose hunted this fall with a neck only bino strap & it was very uncomfortable. I'm intrigued by this Cotton Skout design, but I have two concerns with it: One it is not balanced & I fear with a heavy back pack on it would be annoying and two I'm not 100% confident in how it locks in place. We hunt a lot from canoe / jet boat & I can easily see "bino overboard"; of course you have the tether.

I'm just basically looking for something simple that can be worn with a large backpack and easily put on/off for possible use with a life jacket.

I'm also considering an AGC Kiss or Hybrid or a Marsupial enclosed No-mag. Either of these would have to be used with a rain cover as our hunting season around here is during the monsoon weather we get in the fall & early winter.

Last edited:
Looks ok for birding or tourist activity but doesnt look like something I would go with for hunting. Especially the hunting you describe. My binos live in my bino harness and they provide protection while hunting or tossed in the back seat of my truck. I have both the AGC and the marsupial. I like the Marsupial the best As it is more comfortable for me to wear. The AGC is bulletproof but is slightly bigger than I prefer Also it opens the wrong way for my preference. I think my AGC is A Kiss with the max pocket.
My marsupial has a the magnet closure and I am interested to hear how hunters like the new non-magnet closure system.

TN2shot07

WKR
I swapped from an AGC hybrid to the not enclosed Marsupial this season. They are both well made. I love the marsupial because once I get where I’m going I can flip the lid forward out of the way and no more movement.

Wapiti1

WKR
I've used the Cotton carrier system with camera gear a fair bit. The connection takes a 90 degree turn to release. It's hard for something to come out, but not impossible. The Skout doesn't work well with a backpack, it sits to the side of the chest where the strap is. I have the strapshot for use with my backpack, but I'm not hunting when I'm using that setup. Honestly, I would suggest an enclosed bino harness over this for anything hunting related. Especially the water logged hunting in Alaska.

My preference is the AGC Classic for general use.

Jeremy

OP
K

Kushtekaa

FNG
Thanks for the great & on topic responses. I can tell none of you are politicians. Next question - If I were to carry a 40 lb. backpack overtop with either the AGC or Marsupial, which one would you choose? Case would be mountain goat hunting w/ as light a gear for a spike camp.

On the AGC I've heard problems of the back patch riding up on ones neck & causing some discomfort. I'm curious to know if any have had this problem here on RS?

On the Marsupial I know they have both the padded & unpadded. I think going unpadded would make more sense under the backpack, but not sure? Also, I would have to put in a special request with Marsupial for an unpadded since I will most likely go with the Enclosed No-Mag small, which is only offered in the padded straps. Thoughts?

Thanks for the great & on topic responses. I can tell none of you are politicians. Next question - If I were to carry a 40 lb. backpack overtop with either the AGC or Marsupial, which one would you choose? Case would be mountain goat hunting w/ as light a gear for a spike camp.

On the AGC I've heard problems of the back patch riding up on ones neck & causing some discomfort. I'm curious to know if any have had this problem here on RS?

On the Marsupial I know they have both the padded & unpadded. I think going unpadded would make more sense under the backpack, but not sure? Also, I would have to put in a special request with Marsupial for an unpadded since I will most likely go with the Enclosed No-Mag small, which is only offered in the padded straps. Thoughts?
My experience with the AGC is that with a collared shirt or hood, the rising up is a non factor. In a t-shirt with a loaded bino harness, I get some neck chafing.

if you go AGC, consider the Max pocket. It’s really nice if you decide your hunt plan needs a couple cliff bars or something.

OP
K

Kushtekaa

FNG
Maybe I should just order both & see which one works the best. I guess it depends on their return policy & if both can ship about the same time. Both have 30 day money back guarantee from the purchase date. Problem around here is it often takes 30 days to get here.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kushtekaa

FNG
Would it be possible to use the Marsupial harness with the AGC pouches?

If so I believe I will go with the AGC Kodiak Cub as the side pockets on the smaller 2 pouches will get caught on brush for sure around here and I'll try the Marsupial harness along with their Pack Strap Kit, so I can attach to my large backpack.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Would it be possible to use the Marsupial harness with the AGC pouches?

If so I believe I will go with the AGC Kodiak Cub as the side pockets on the smaller 2 pouches will get caught on brush for sure around here and I'll try the Marsupial harness along with their Pack Strap Kit, so I can attach to my large backpack.

Kushtekaa—yes, to answer your question immediately above. The AGC pouches will work the Marsupial harness.

My favorite setup is the AGC Classic with Max pocket, however I use a Marsupial padded harness and replace all of the buckles with auto locks so it stays right where I tighten the harness to. When you size and fit the waist and shoulder straps properly you’ll never feel it on your pack, even when loaded down with a heavy backpack.

I use the AGC pack when bow hunting or when hunting more mild terrain, and I use the enclosed Marsupial pack with the same Marsupial harness (I just swap bino packs) when I rifle hunt or am up in the mountains. I have the Kuiu Pro harness, too. I’ve used it a few times and like it—it’s a good system and it’s actually quieter than the Marsupial pack because there are no magnets (sometimes, if you aren’t careful, the magnets on the Marsupial top flap can close with a pretty audible noise). I just like the AGC and Marsupial pouches a little more but have nothing against the Kuiu pack whatsoever.

If I had to pick one pack—had to—it would be the AGC pack. It just has the right layout and functions for me.

One last thing—I haven’t tried the pack strap kit. Maybe it would be surprisingly good, but I can’t for the life of me figure out a situation where I think that would be better than wearing the harness beneath the pack. If your bino pack and backpack are properly fit there shouldn’t be a fit or ride issue. I have hiked and hunted hundreds and hundreds of miles like this and it’s fine. Also, think twice before adding side pockets. The AGC pockets will mount fine to AGC or Marsupial harnesses, but they do make things a little bulky. You’ll go from wearing a bino pack to a chest rig. The Alaska Classic pack from AGC is all the pocketing I need, and then some.

OP
K

Kushtekaa

FNG
Thanks everyone for your help, especially scp. Your post cemented my decision. I'm going to go ahead and get the AGC Kodiak Cub maybe with Max & the Marsupial Padded Harness. I wish AGC would only sell their pouches, like Marsupial, but they are a good value.