anyone try the new SG Serac?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
They redesigned the Serac so it can be run on it's own (or attached to any of their frames)- has detachable shoulder straps and belt (you can run the bag with the shoulder straps and sans belt if you want). It also has an internal frame (that can also be removed), not intended for load hauling, but could help out with heavier day loads (optics/tripods/etc).

I haven't seen any feedback on it yet, but I have one on order so will post some pics and thoughts up when I get it.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
evidently not :D

I got mine and had some time to fool around with it.

The bag appears to be exactly as before

rLCCO5z.jpg

with a few key differences, the biggest is that it that it comes with removable shoulder straps (and a 1" web belt, also easily removable)

T6jUrOY.jpg

the shoulder straps are well padded and may be the exact same ones off their Avail, also there is a removable frame- ccf pad with V'd carbon stays- similar to the Avail (the Avail stays are crossed)

BTbV1aY.jpg

I had some 1/6" HDPE sheet and cut out a piece to the same shape and slipped it in with carbon frame to augment it

when I noticed that it had a pass through belt slot I broke out a ULA belt that I had from another project and slipped it through- it fit really well and gave me a nicely padded belt and two zipped belt pockets

BaEC1Jk.jpg

I keep a section of hunter orange on my packs and recently saw that Seek Outside offered their Talon pockets in hunter orange, so got one of those- it adds an additional 13 liters capacity and fulfills the role of hunter orange to my back. It has a full length zip pocket that fits most puffies and a lunch, the back side of is full length mesh pocket and easily handle a rain jacket.

ZJyC8VK.jpg

of course it mates to any SG frame (or larger bag for that matter) when you want to rig it up that way

7JK

Lil-Rokslider
That’s awesome thanks for sharing! Looks like a perfect day/scout pack. I really like the addition of the ULA belt 👍🏻

Bit late, but have you used it for travel too?

I like my 3300 for hunting but for simple hikes and overnight travel trips I’d like to get a small bag.

Still liking it?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well. I sold a shelter this spring and a guy offered a trade and $, the trade was an SG Avail- it was quite a fair deal, so I took it. Then I had two SG day packs and only needed one. I ended selling the Serac simply because of the extra volume of the Avail. Still contend the Serac is a solid day hiking pack though.