anyone try the Salewa Mountain Trainer Lites?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ordered a pair of Crispi Attiva's from gohunt and they were a 1/2 to full size too long, unfortunately they didn't have size I needed (and in fact won't be carrying Crispi any longer.) They suggested trying the Salewa Mtn Trainer Lite, so I have a pair coming to give a whirl.

These are the non-gore-tex, low ones- look like beefy trail runners (ditto on the Attivas)

Was wondering if anyone else had given these a go?

ChrisAU

WKR
I tried a pair last year and thought they were extremely comfortable out of the box, but weren't as stiff as what I was looking for for elk hunting in some super steep nasty areas, wound up going with Crispi Thors. I was actually looking at the Salewas again today for an upcoming antelope hunt.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a pair of Thor’s that I really like (elk hunting), especially with a load. One of the reasons I was so surprised that the Attiva was so long- same size.

These I’m hoping will make for basically a more robust trail runner. Hoping they fit :)

matthewmt

WKR
Not related but I just got a pair of the hanwag makra treks and have been really happy with them, worth a look at least.

Curious why they're not gonna carry crispi anymore?
Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the Salewa don’t work out, I’ll check those out

Sounds like they wanted to, but was told they couldn’t by Crispi US, they said they were making $100,000 orders, so I don’t think it was sales volume??!!!

three5x5s

WKR
How's the Salewa's working?? I love the Alps trainer and the flow, but read somewhere the Mountain trainer is on a different last than the Alps. Cant find where I read that at.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How's the Salewa's working?? I love the Alps trainer and the flow, but read somewhere the Mountain trainer is on a different last than the Alps. Cant find where I read that at.

Well I ordered a 11 as that’s what my LaSportiva and Crispi shoes/boots are. Tried them around the house and they were simply too long. Exchanged them for a 10.5 and again wore them around the house. The didn’t seem too long, but I was getting heel slip. The toe box felt really good (and usually that’s the thing that nixes most shoes.

I liked the outsole and liked that it had a protective toe cap, most trail runners are lacking here.

I liked the shoe well enough that I started wearing them outside. My heel just didn’t feel locked in like I wanted. I tried different insoles and a lacing technique that helps lock the heel in. I also read that with stiffer shoes it’s common to have some heel slip until they are broken in. Soooo I’ve put about a 100 miles on them and they are definitely better, but not perfect in that regard.

I think if you have a higher volume/wider foot, the fit would be better.

I’ll keep putting miles on them and see if they don’t get better yet.

I don’t think my feet are overly narrow, but maybe they are???

I really like this shoe, but thus far the fit is not as good as I’d like it to be.

I had the Attiva Mids, same thing, 1/2 size too big. Have to agree with the above, the Makra Treks are less stiff and more durable than the Combi. Still stiffer than the Attivas, but they break in and feel perfect. Zamberlan just released a slightly more cost effective boot in the 700 Sierra GTX that might be worth a look as well.

Im running the Salewa “Alps” Trainer 2. Holy smokes, most comfortable boot I have ever worn. Its more of a “trainer” and less of a “boot” than the mountain trainer I believe (softer sole). But seem to be much beefier/durable than other trainers I have worn. I would highly recommend them to a friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well after a 100+ miles the Salewa's are relegated to bopping around town shoes. I tried a few different insoles and lace tying techniques, but they are too loose in the midfoot and heel area- for my foot anyways.

If they were just for hiking local single track trails, they would probably do, but I wanted a relatively lightweight shoe for more rugged terrain.

The shoe is very well designed and everything I was looking for- sticky outsole, roomy toe box, protective toe at a relatively light weight, they just don't fit precise enough at the mid-foot and heel

I'll look for a good deal on the Crispi Attiva's and give them a go.

Storm

FNG
Well after a 100+ miles the Salewa's are relegated to bopping around town shoes. I tried a few different insoles and lace tying techniques, but they are too loose in the midfoot and heel area- for my foot anyways.

If they were just for hiking local single track trails, they would probably do, but I wanted a relatively lightweight shoe for more rugged terrain.

The shoe is very well designed and everything I was looking for- sticky outsole, roomy toe box, protective toe at a relatively light weight, they just don't fit precise enough at the mid-foot and heel

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but throwing my 2 cents in for what it's worth. I bought the Mt trainer lite mids last March for my Sept elk hunt. Trained in them all summer and loved them. They hugged my foot perfect and were very comfortable. Then on the elk hunt they failed me. The fold created when you step tore on the outside of each boot. Making a slight hole, and for wet feet. These boots are extremely comfortable (for me at least) but are not (in my opinion) durable enough for a backcouthunt.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Zamberlan has a few new boots coming out for this summer, couple of lightweight hikers, a mid and a low. The Anabasis GTX . There's some videos on YT about them.
b81543af88d6b753be9e923ebfe47d75.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk