Anyone use 8x32’s for everything?

ChrisAU

WKR
I got a pair of Leupold BX-4 8x32’s in today and I am impressed. The FOV is crazy big compared to my my Diamondback 10x42’s and Leupold BX-4 10x50’s, and I didn’t feel like I lost much low low light performance over either during testing at dusk tonight. I’ll have a Kowa 20-40x50 in the pack for long looks this fall out West, and there were times here in the whitetail woods this past fall I noticed the narrow FOV of the 10x in the thick woods. These 8x32’s are also super compact and super light.

I know there is better glass out there, but two main features I really want are a locking diopter (I have very different vision in both eyes and an inadvertent diopter turn can significantly degrade my view through binos) and a 1/4-20 adapter (love the Vortex Unidaptor on my KDC tripod), which the BX-4 has both. Anyone know of any binos with those that are under 20 oz?

Not for everything, but when I'm in the whitetail woods here in the Southeast my 8x32s are with me.

22lr

WKR
I never used anything more than a 8x in the whitetail woods of Indiana. They definitely have a place. I just prefer higher magnification now that im up in Alaska

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I got a cheap pair of vortex 8x32 last year. Boy are they handy and feel nice around the neck when hiking all day. I could see running a high end pair and never needing anything more.

prm

WKR
All I carry elk hunting are Swaro 8x30 CLs. For long range spotting I can add a small spotter.

For archery elk when I'm hunting areas with lots of dense timber that's all I carry. They're the perfect tool for scanning dense brush when there isn't much visibility. If I'm in big open country, or hunting mule deer, the big glass is a must have IMHO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
IMO 8x32 are the best size binoculars to have for use on everything. They are compact plenty of light gathering if you get good glass. I compared my Zen Ray 8x42's to my 8x32 EL at low light and could not tell any difference in sight picture or brightness. I will be doing the same comparison with the EL 10x42 and the 8x32 but I pick my 8x32's now all the time.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
The Nikon Monarch HG's come in a 30mm model, with locking diopter, tripod adaptable, and I believe the same monster FOV specs(iirc 435ft for the 8x) as the 42's, and under 16oz. I've got the 8x42's, and they feel super sleek and lightweight, but shaving another half pound is pretty significant.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
The Nikon Monarch HG's come in a 30mm model, with locking diopter, tripod adaptable, and I believe the same monster FOV specs(iirc 435ft for the 8x) as the 42's, and under 16oz. I've got the 8x42's, and they feel super sleek and lightweight, but shaving another half pound is pretty significant.

About to go to the google machine with this one, thanks!

slvrslngr

WKR
I’m having a hard time justifying replacing my 8x32 trinovids. If I need more magnification I use a spotter.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Cabela’s branded Meopta Meostar 8x32s, but I do stray from them... The 8x32 binos cover a lot of ground.

Love my maven b3 8x30. That with a good spotter is awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Glad i dont have to, however if i did...i dont think i would lack much if i was stuck with my 8x32 Els

I use a 25 year old pair of 8x30 swaros for everything. Larger fov, negligible magnification difference from 10x, lighter, easier to hold still, etc, etc, ....
Have an old meopta spotter for longer looks.

I don't think I'll ever change, but who knows.

I've got Leica 8x32 Ultravids (pre-HD) and Swarovision 10x42 ELs. I probably use each about 50/50 depending on what and where I am hunting over the course of the year. The Leicas get all the tight and thick country hunting (whitetails, elk, some black bears) including the bulk of tree stand or ground blind hunting for whitetails and Coues deer plus all my day hiking. The Swaros go sheep, mule deer, moose and caribou hunting where we have horn or antler restrictions on what is legal. I also like them for glassing for bears in big country too.

In a perfect world for hunting the west you need 3 good pair of binoculars just like hunting boots, pants, jackets and packs so you can match them to what you are doing. I didn't mention big glass up above....that is the 3rd need. Mine are Leica 15x56 Geovid HDs. If buying big binoculars for the tripod again I'd get Swaro 12x50ELs or 15x56SLCs. When I bought the Leicas my brother and I were shooting a lot of prairie dogs at long range and they were perfect for that with the rangefinder. They see a lot of use around the house looking at critters on the mountain behind us and for truck and quad glassing.

If I could only have one pair it would be the Swaro 10x42 ELs. They are optically great for my eyes and use, just a bit large, heavy and expensive.