Anyone use a Hoopla?

bounds

WKR
Does anyone have a Hoopla 4 from Mountain Hardwear? I've been looking at them online a lot but haven't heard many reviews of in the field use.

muleman

WKR
On paper the Hoopla 4 has these advantages over the SL-3

• 5 sq ft bigger
  • Designed to be setup with one trekking pole
  • More usable head room
  • Better floor space (sleeps 4 vs sleeps 3, probably really sleeps 3 vs sleeps 2)
  • Clothesline tabs
The GoLITE Shangri-La 3 has these advantages

• Doesn't require hoop pole
  • Fly is 3 to 4 ounces lighter than the Hoopla fly and required hoop pole
  • Has a factory nest
  • More vents
  • Easier to setup
On paper I lean toward the Hoopla 4. If I pull the trigger on a Hoopla I'll do a side by side comparison.

Here are some reviews on the Hoopla 4.

http://equipped.outdoors.org/2012/04/floorless-pyramid-tents-mountain.html
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51423

Hoopla 4

hoopla-dimension.png

Shangri-La 3 and 5

attachment.php

Last edited:
I looked at the hoopla for a while but decided to get a Shargri-la 3 instead. I even had a $265 credit with Mountain Hardwear for a tent I turned in on a warranty. The reason why I decided to not get the hoopla is because it has no "nest", no center pole, and is more expensive. I got the Shagri-la 3 on sale for $199 and used the credit I had with mountain hardwear toward a nicer sleeping bag. I have been pretty impressed with the shangri-la so far but haven't got to use it much yet. Main reason was I wanted a "nest" to use depending on the situation. I think the flysheet in on the Shangri-la is pretty comparable in weight and size to the hoopla.

muleman

WKR
My obsession with gear has reared it's ugly head again. I couldn't pass up the Hoopla when it was on sale for less than I could get it on a pro deal. Should be here tomorrow. I guess I'll have to tell my wife that the SL3 mated with the SL5 and produced the Hoopla when she asks why in the !$%^&*#@ I have three "identical" shelters. I'm sure she will insist that I buy lamb skin stuff sacks for them in the future. ;)

The problem with the Shangri-La and similar pyramids / tipis / hexagons is that with the sloping wall usable space goes down about eight inches off the floor. So I'm hoping that for similar weight to the SL3; I will get 5 square feet more space to begin with and then the more vertical walls of the Hoopla will also help. The only thing I wonder about is the hoop pole and if it will be a PIA. I didn't buy a nest for my SL3 so for my purposes I'm just interested in the flys on the SL3 and Hoopla.

Don't get me wrong I really like my Shangri-Las. I'm just hoping that the Hoopla is an improvement on the SL3. When I get a chance I will setup all three and take some pictures and get actual weights.