Anyone use a Kuiu Pack for backcountry bow hunting?

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Kuiu gear and have been looking at some of their Backpacks for a 3-4 day backcountry hunt. Just wondering if any of you hunt with a Kuiu backpack for Archery and which pack you can secure you’re bow to? Pics, models and features would be great. Thanks a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the pro 2300 and it works excellent for everything you describe. If you need more room you can simply put stuff in a dry sack and put it in between the bag and the frame. They also have a pro 3200 that is money.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I would take a close look at kifaru and stone glacier. Kifaru has quite a few bag and attachments options for bows. You may want to take a look at kuiu pack reviews. Kuiu packs really aren’t designed for hefty/bulky loads. For multi-day hunts my preference is a frame capable of 100+ lb loads that is around 6,000 cu inches or larger.

TBHasler

WKR
Yes, I’m a medium athletic build and the kuiu packs seems to fit my hips better than any others I’ve tried. I just used their standard straps for about a year for lashing the bow to the pack when I needed hands free or sticks in my hands. Finally got the bow carrier from kuiu it is a huge improvement on strapping the bow to the pack. Much more secure with no slippage. A bit slower to get out and in hand, but I never have it on the pack if I’m going to need it in my hand in 3 secs

Venom One

WKR
I believe all of the Kuiu packs have straps that run across the front of the pack. You can use those straps to lash your bow to the pack by weaving the strap through your riser, but you run the risk of damaging a cam when you pickup/put down your pack (unless you mount your bow high so it's not hanging below the bottom of the pack). The best option would be to buy their bow holder as TBHasler mentioned.

Firestone

WKR
I have used one for quite a few years and it can handle more weight then I can. I use the 3200 for 3-4 day trips. It has been one of my most abused pieces of gear I currently use and I don't see myself switching.

OP
L

lacofdfireman

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I’m a medium athletic build and the kuiu packs seems to fit my hips better than any others I’ve tried. I just used their standard straps for about a year for lashing the bow to the pack when I needed hands free or sticks in my hands. Finally got the bow carrier from kuiu it is a huge improvement on strapping the bow to the pack. Much more secure with no slippage. A bit slower to get out and in hand, but I never have it on the pack if I’m going to need it in my hand in 3 secs

Do you happen to have a pic of the Kuiu pack and bow holder with your bow mounted on it? I’d love to see it. Post it up if you do. Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I would take a close look at kifaru and stone glacier. Kifaru has quite a few bag and attachments options for bows. You may want to take a look at kuiu pack reviews. Kuiu packs really aren’t designed for hefty/bulky loads. For multi-day hunts my preference is a frame capable of 100+ lb loads that is around 6,000 cu inches or larger.
First of all backpacks are a personal fit/choice. But if you want an unbiased review read the “Backpack Showdown” performed by Zack Herold of Battle Mountain Media https://www.rokslide.com/the-backpack-showdown-part-1/ He contradicts your claims and says that the Kuiu is one of the top 2 performers and addressed all of your “concerns“ above. What didn’t work for you can work for others. Same as hiking boots. They all fit differently and attempt to accomplish the same by different methods, materials, & designs. Even after reading the review you have to try them for yourself. I have owned nearly every top bag brand. Pros and cons to all of them. Kuiu‘s works for me currently but I am not naive that there couldn’t be something better down the road. The key point is what works for someone will NOT work for everyone.

To answer the OPs question, I use the Pro 3200 bag compressed down with the bow attached via their bow sling system. If you need more gear space to hike in and out with camp, throw a dry bag in between the frame and the bag for stuff that stays in camp. I have also used the extra straps/buckles and lashed it down to the outside of the pack, as well. Very easy to use and can be setup almost anywhere on the bag to your liking. Sorry, I don’t have pics of my setup.

Last edited: