Anyone use a tarp in the alpine?

Lawnboi

WKR
I have a tangential question on tarps. I've got the materials to make one for use this summer but I'm curious how often you have to re-rig them? I'd see myself getting it setup picture perfect for say a west wind and then a few hours later it would be blowing out of the north or east and I'd be SOL. :(

Easy enough. I'll preface by saying that I typically use the tarp if I'm going to be moving often. If I know I'll be camped in 1 spot, I'll eat he weight penalty of a tipi style shelter, for 360* coverage, especially when I'm not around camp.

The paratarp, tacked tight to the ground gives wind protection from 3 directions as is. Even with it raised a little, it still provides good coverage. The wind would have to switch 180* to be blowing into my tarp, and even then, it's not bad unless directly blowing in the door side. Typically I try to setup with my door toward a wind break, be it a rock, cliff, trees, back side of a mountain, whatever you can find. For this reason I really like the paratarp shape over a typical flat tarp. It can be raised in nice weather and provides great coverage tacked tight to the ground. That said, a tarp IMO is not suitable for all conditions, and if I know it's going to get nasty I'll likely take more shelter.

I also always run a bivy of some kind under the tarp.

I have a tangential question on tarps. I've got the materials to make one for use this summer but I'm curious how often you have to re-rig them? I'd see myself getting it setup picture perfect for say a west wind and then a few hours later it would be blowing out of the north or east and I'd be SOL. :(

This is one reason I chose a Mid over a tarp. I don't have to worry too much about which direction the prevailing winds are coming from, Mids shed winds equally well from all directions. I really like the ability of being able to pick up and go whenever I want and not have to go back for my base camp. My entire sleep system (shelter, quilt, bivy, and pad) weighs 46oz., so I don't mind carrying it around on my back all the time. This gives me about a 60 ft.² footprint and with a normal pitch it's about 51"-53" tall. Way more than enough room for me and all my gear or two people and minimal gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is one reason I chose a Mid over a tarp. I don't have to worry too much about which direction the prevailing winds are coming from, Mids shed winds equally well from all directions. I really like the ability of being able to pick up and go whenever I want and not have to go back for my base camp. My entire sleep system (shelter, quilt, bivy, and pad) weighs 46oz., so I don't mind carrying it around on my back all the time. This gives me about a 60 ft.² footprint and with a normal pitch it's about 51"-53" tall. Way more than enough room for me and all my gear or two people and minimal gear.

Hey Greg........what exactly do you have in your equipment that comes in at 46 oz? That is mighty appealing.

Randy

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
My ultralight system is under 3 lbs as well. There was a long thread going about it a while back.

Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus tarp
Zpacks 30 quilt
Thermarest Xtherm
Tigoat Omni Raven Bivy

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
My ultralight system is under 3 lbs as well. There was a long thread going about it a while back.

Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus tarp
Zpacks 30 quilt
Thermarest Xtherm
Tigoat Omni Raven Bivy

Just curious what Greg is using as I trust his experience in a nasty environment.

Randy

Hey Greg........what exactly do you have in your equipment that comes in at 46 oz? That is mighty appealing.

Randy

The Mid I was referring to Randy is that new Mid that I just purchased from Locus Gear, but the one I used last year was a MLD Solomid at 16 oz. all in, EE 35° 850 fill treated down, wide/regular at 14 oz. Borah Gear bivy at 6 oz. and small Thermarest XLite pad at 8 oz. then I figured another couple ounces at the most for cuben fiber dry bags.

The LG Mid is about an ounce heavier than the MLD but it's also quite a bit bigger.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Mid I was referring to Randy is that new Mid that I just purchased from Locus Gear, but the one I used last year was a MLD Solomid at 16 oz. all in, EE 35° 850 fill treated down, wide/regular at 14 oz. Borah Gear bivy at 6 oz. and small Thermarest XLite pad at 8 oz. then I figured another couple ounces at the most for cuben fiber dry bags.

The LG Mid is about an ounce heavier than the MLD but it's also quite a bit bigger.

Thanks Greg. So........what is the coldest you slept in that quilt? (Not to derail the thread)

Randy

MtnOyster

WKR
How do you tarp and TP guys keep keep your stuff dry after a 2 or 3 day rain? figure the ground under it would finally get soaked,

Bulldawg

WKR
How do you tarp and TP guys keep keep your stuff dry after a 2 or 3 day rain? figure the ground under it would finally get soaked,

Everything stays dry ground only gets wet about 2 inches from the edge of the tarp. In a bad rain, I'll pitch my paratarp right to the ground and I'll be dry in there along with my gear.

suchee

FNG
I'm a tarp guy, the versatility is the real winner, and i cant afford a hexamid! ALOT of climbers around here turned me on to them but in a SQUARE design(supposedly better pitch options/less folds) mine is 8.5x8.5 cuben, with stakes and full guy lines I'm at 10oz, and its HUGE for two in a "open cave" pitch like the paratarp.

I had a paratarp, way too small width wise when pitched low and really unusably long for me. I'm way lighter with way more space with pitch options. When its knarly out, i can pitch mine into a pyramid mode with pole in center(cut tennis ball to protect cuben) with full 3 side enclosure, and at 5'10" I can fit with gear. That pitch is one man only

I run a hammock for 3 seasons, the square tarp works great for that too
The Best Ultralight Tents, Tarps and Shelters | OutdoorGearLab reviews them, they got it figured out,
if you can afford both... add a Zpacks hexamid twin for full 3+season bomber, the tarp does make a compromise when its nasty, but i put up with if im solo, it works

Last edited:
I'm a tarp guy, the versatility is the real winner, and i cant afford a hexamid! ALOT of climbers around here turned me on to them but in a SQUARE design(supposedly better pitch options/less folds) mine is 8.5x8.5 cuben, with stakes and full guy lines I'm at 10oz, and its HUGE for two in a "open cave" pitch like the paratarp.

I had a paratarp, way too small width wise when pitched low and really unusably long for me. I'm way lighter with way more space with pitch options. When its knarly out, i can pitch mine into a pyramid mode with pole in center(cut tennis ball to protect cuben) with full 3 side enclosure, and at 5'10" I can fit with gear. That pitch is one man only

I run a hammock for 3 seasons, the square tarp works great for that too
The Best Ultralight Tents, Tarps and Shelters | OutdoorGearLab reviews them, they got it figured out,
if you can afford both... add a Zpacks hexamid twin for full 3+season bomber, the tarp does make a compromise when its nasty, but i put up with if im solo, it works

I've been really close, on several occasions, to pulling the trigger on a CF flat/square tarp but I eventually talk myself out of it. My biggest concern is that I have no experience with them and they kind of intimidate me. If I found myself on an exposed mountain without any natural coverage or decent wind brake and had a severe storm moving in, I feel pretty confident that I could pitch my solo mid and be able to take cover relatively fast and I could weather just about anything. I know that if I had the same confidence in a flat tarp as I do my mid, I would have no problem carrying one and using it as my sole means of shelter.

Akicita

WKR
thinking of going smaller and more dynamic and obviously lighter.

What size? I tried the Walmart outdoor gear 5x7, that didn't work so well.

Below treeline I will not hesitate to bivy under my Kifaru Sheep Tarp pitched against a leeward downfall or rock cropping or my Redcliff Tipi. Anything above treeline where my life may depend on sheltering from severe weather I am taking any one of my Hillebergs. . . I don't even think twice about that. . .

JannuSkiTour_zpsiibzeoiw.png