Anyone use a tarp in the alpine?

thinking of going smaller and more dynamic and obviously lighter.

What size? I tried the Walmart outdoor gear 5x7, that didn't work so well.

Cbled

Lil-Rokslider
Tried this setup this last year....not great by any means. Trying a supertarp this year. IMG_0472.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
I did tarp a couple nights last season, it wasn't bad, but damn it was hard to get out of the warm sleeping bag in the morning as opposed being in a tent where I could start the stove or even my mini lantern to get the chill off. I bought a sub 2# tipi for solo trips this coming season.

I've considered a tarp but my current solo shelter weighs only 17 ounces, gives me full coverage (pyramid shelter), packs down to next to nothing, and is almost bombproof, so really no need for a tarp. I've been using a mid now for the past several years and l don't really see a reason to use anything else.

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Used a Jimmy tarp granite mtn last year and it worked like a champ in some brutal wind. Really light, relatively inexpensive, and super easy set up (which is great after a long day setting up In the dark). I would definitely use it again. However this year I am going to hammock and will use just the tarp if I have to go to ground.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

chasewild

WKR
Sold my tarp -- Duomid XL -- because it was a like sleeping in a trash bag in a hurricane. Had that thing guy'ed out as much as possible on several occasions and it never "shed" wind like I'd hoped.

Tipi/tarp/pyramid-style shelters with one pole to support are also a major pain in the ass in the alpine and trying to find a good place to pitch. One side sags, or the other side is 8" off the ground. Trying to find enough flat ground for two guys in one tarp -- good luck. Just get a Hille and run it with the rain fly and call it good.

Beendare

WKR
I used to use a tarp...but now my HS Tarptent is 2.4# complete....so why bother? The problem with tarps is not in bluebird weather but sideways rain and sleet will make you miserable.

If you do go the tarp route you need plenty of extra coverage....like 10x12, IMO.

• Banned
OP
N
Thanks for replies guys!

Been using a big Agnes seed house 1 for about 90 days above bushline over the last 2 years.

The thr biggest negative I have is that it requires a lot of stakes for being "freestanding" and it is very wind directional biased. Most times in fine weather i cowboy camp and in the shit I'd like something a wee bit more bomber.

Again thanks for real world input

Beendare

WKR
Mine is no longer made- a 2 man cloudburst, but there are other good options.

A tarp is a unique open air feel that i like... great in good weather but it sucks in bad.

Mine is no longer made- a 2 man cloudburst, but there are other good options.

A tarp is a unique open air feel that i like... great in good weather but it sucks in bad.

I am not saying that we have the same definition of bad weather but there are many ways to pitch a tarp. I find them to very versatile from nearly open air to the tetrahedron which I find dang resilient in heavy winds and rain.

I generally run with one in my day pack as a "just in case" and it has saved my butt several times when the mountain rains come passing through.

Jon Boy

WKR
thinking of going smaller and more dynamic and obviously lighter.

What size? I tried the Walmart outdoor gear 5x7, that didn't work so well.

I'm running an 8.5x10 tarp in conjunction with a bivvy, might upgrade to one made out of cuben soon. I can pitch it fully enclosed if the weather is nasty but the space is a little tight but I still have enough room to put my pack at the bottom of my feet. I haven't tested it in a nasty rain storm yet but I think I ill be fine in a good amount of presip.

welpro222

WKR
I did tarp a couple nights last season, it wasn't bad, but damn it was hard to get out of the warm sleeping bag in the morning as opposed being in a tent where I could start the stove or even my mini lantern to get the chill off. I bought a sub 2# tipi for solo trips this coming season.

I second this.

Lawnboi

WKR
Paratarp. Very versatile. Can be pitched tight to the ground and have great coverage, or pitched up for great ventilation/view and a ton of room. I'd suggest the super if your a bigger guy. But the para has served me very well, one shelter I will never part with

At a hair over a pound, and the size of a pair of socks..... Iv also got a cimmaron, but it Definetly dosnt replace the tarp for running and gunning.

Paratarp.
At a hair over a pound, and the size of a pair of socks..... Iv also got a cimmaron, but it Definetly dosnt replace the tarp for running and gunning.

What is the wt. of the Paratarp, all in including guy lines & stakes?

Lawnboi

WKR
Last time I weighted mine it was like 1lb 3oz with the one needed guy line and some some ground hogs. The tarp alone is under a pound. I put a picture in here long ago of a paratarp and 4 stakes running right at 16oz, that being the bare minimum.

I usually run my tarp with the back of it tacked down, and the 3 door mounting points elevated with cordage, this gives me good room and ventilation. Minimal weight penalty for a couple 5 foot sections of lengths of cord. I also usually carry 7 stakes with it.

Not the lightest of the bunch, but the shape is what makes it the perfect shelter for me. I'll likely be grabbing it this fall over the cimmaron.

Last edited:

Bulldawg

WKR
I use a paratarp as well, I'd like to go with the Supertarp but I'm realizing that I don't need to buy new gear every year when all the gear I had last year worked out just fine and I was comfortable. So I'll still run the paratarp for everything and maybe I'll sell some excess stuff so I can get new things that I want and slim down my gear pile.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tangential question on tarps. I've got the materials to make one for use this summer but I'm curious how often you have to re-rig them? I'd see myself getting it setup picture perfect for say a west wind and then a few hours later it would be blowing out of the north or east and I'd be SOL. :(