Anyone use knee sleeves in the mountains?

Has anyone here used neoprene knee sleeves for mountain hunting? I don't have any injuries but I know how sore my knees get with lots of steep descending. I use them for squatting and lunges and I love how they help stabilize the knee during the eccentric part of the movements so maybe they would help out with the rigors of mountain hunting. Anyone have experience with this idea?

I used a sleeve last year.... but I had an a knee injury I was dealing with. The sleeve definitely helped descending steep and uneven terrain. But it was hot and made sweat build up, combined with dirt and grime it made me thankful to take it off whenever I could.

My advice if your not battling an injury is to better strengthen the knees and all the tendons and muscles that go with it. Much better than having that aid I’ve found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone here used neoprene knee sleeves for mountain hunting? I don't have any injuries but I know how sore my knees get with lots of steep descending. I use them for squatting and lunges and I love how they help stabilize the knee during the eccentric part of the movements so maybe they would help out with the rigors of mountain hunting. Anyone have experience with this idea?
I use a knee brace on my bad knee now. It does stablize it better. My legs are the reason I don't solo bivy hunt anymore. Not scared of bears, BF or other critters, but bad weather and injuries do. Weather I can look out for, but when my old legs are going to give out is another thing.

Was crippled 2 yrs ago getting off the mtn. Downhill was near impossible. Had an MRI done and all the could come up with was superior displacement of my patella. Stretching was ordered but that seemed to make it worse. I use those copperfit sleeves and they seem to help. I get out a few days a week, but im still scared as my life revolves around up and down mountains.
Hopefully we get some good responses here. Im grateful for any helpful suggestions. Thanks for posting this.

My knees used to kill me in the mountains having two surgeries on one knee and the other one just aint no good. So I bought some cheap but highly rated compression sleeves from amazon and the difference is between night and day or pain and no pain. And I'm afraid of boyfriends!

rob86jeep

WKR
This will be my first hunting season after recovering from knee surgery but when I asked about using a compression sleeve I was told it's not necessary not a good idea. I was told that wearing a compression sleeve for working out (or all the time) actually prevents your knees from developing the needed stabilizing muscles and they're not supportive enough to prevent a future injury. If you already use them and they seem to work then I wouldn't change anything though.

One thing that really helps my knees (especially on descents) is trekking poles though. I've used them before my injury and they let me descent way faster and helped take some of the load of my legs when ascending. Going forward, I'll always have them with me to try and take some of the strain off my knees to hopefully prevent any future injury when I'm on the mountain.

MadeInTheRain

Lil-Rokslider
I used to wear a knee sleeve on one of me knees years ago. It was awful on the mountain. I would look forward to stopping every few hours to remove it for air. I have found that paying more attention to my posture and muscle engagement while exercising (Squats, Dead lifts, Lunges, etc) has helped me strengthen both knees. I would highly recommend strengthening your leg muscles over relying on a sleeve to prevent injury.

Not a sleeve but I used a neoprene that has the metal stabilizers on the sides. I have no ACL and meniscus tear in my left knee. I had zero issue in Idaho this past year. I don't work out with it on or daily use anything. I squat and deadlift with no issues. Just needed a little extra on the mountain for uneven terrain.

Had a buddy having issues with his IT band on the right side of his knee. Tired my brace and he reports it was a major improvement.

bozeman

WKR
to the OP, do you utilize trekking poles at all? That has been one of the biggest improvements for me, especially when descending......

I use neoprene with the metal sides on both knees. I don't use it all the time. I frequently have them on around my ankles and pull them up over my knees while descending. Makes a big difference for me.

*zap*

WKR
So, if your knees are weak and you want to strengthen them I would imagine avoiding sleeves, braces and the use of trekking poles as much as possible when training for fitness would be a good thing. Hunting trip of a few days it may be good to use/have available all the things that may help out.

From my experience bad knees take a lot of concerted work to get stronger if your older and you also should look @ what else you may be lacking in strength such as hips, lower core, glutes, abductors and lower back because I believe that stuff all works together....

USMC-40

WKR
Hunting this August in AK, had ACL replacement surgery in Dec, along with repairing a torn meniscus, MCL, and quad. I will be bringing a moderate level hinged knee brace. When your muscles get tired, your joints have a higher propensity for instability, so I am bringing it to wear on the days my legs are absolutely smoked.

Tag_Soup

WKR
Following...had a knee surgery for meniscus two years ago and i'm still not right. I have no forward stability on that knee and significant pain after a long hike. Not to hijack the thread but if anyone has suggestions i'm all ears!

This will be my first hunting season after recovering from knee surgery but when I asked about using a compression sleeve I was told it's not necessary not a good idea. I was told that wearing a compression sleeve for working out (or all the time) actually prevents your knees from developing the needed stabilizing muscles and they're not supportive enough to prevent a future injury. If you already use them and they seem to work then I wouldn't change anything though.

One thing that really helps my knees (especially on descents) is trekking poles though. I've used them before my injury and they let me descent way faster and helped take some of the load of my legs when ascending. Going forward, I'll always have them with me to try and take some of the strain off my knees to hopefully prevent any future injury when I'm on the mountain.

I was given the same advice back in college after my 3rd knee surgery in 3 summers. That being said in my late 30's I bought a patella sleeve neoprene brace and it helped with stability and mobility by getting my knee warmer so I could be more active in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

I also agree that trekking poles are a godsend. They kept me from tumbling down a 15 foot cliff last fall on my first elk hunt while making it easier to climb and descend a hill and increase my speed by easing some of the weight from my legs and moving it to my arms.

Felix40

WKR
I use KT tape on one of my knees for most of my big trips. I had acl replacement a long time ago but it seems like something else is still messed up. I have very very little lateral stability. The tape helps more than you would expect when you do a full tape up. Its good for blisters and stuff too.