Anyone use one of those scope brackets on shotgun?

boom

WKR
I want to put a red-dot on my shot gun. My eyes just are not that great in the morning light.

do these work?

C7B8BA26-7AEB-4B0E-8739-E6AA87C9FE51.jpeg

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use a Marlin 336 base for my Burris Fastfire 3 and Vortex Venom on my turkey guns and love it. It requires me to drill and tap my shotguns, but it's totally worth it.

The base is the same size as the sights.

Huge Red Dot Fan Here. Depending on what Shotgun you are running, you could always install a Burris SpeedBead and Red Dot that goes between your Stock and Receiver which puts the dot damn near co-witness with your front sight/bead. The top gun in the picture is my shotgun setup with a Burris Speedbead and a Trijicon RMR, with a little bit of modification. Deer Guns mind you.
IMG_3356.jpg

howl

WKR
If that is attached to the receiver, is the receiver solidly connected to the barrel? Some are. Most aren't. Cantilever barrel for scopes. Red dots go on the barrel. And be consistent with how tight the barrel is screwed to the magazine.

Reactions: CCH
If that is attached to the receiver, is the receiver solidly connected to the barrel? Some are. Most aren't. Cantilever barrel for scopes. Red dots go on the barrel. And be consistent with how tight the barrel is screwed to the magazine.

My $0.02 I am generally inline with howl on this. A cantilever barrel or pinning the barrel is the best way to get consistency out of a standard format shotgun for slug work. I built one up a few years back from an 870 just before slug bolt guns became a thing. Based on what I have read and observed, if you are looking for a highly accurate slug gun, then a bolt action is the way to go.

On the other hand, I built a turkey gun with a vortex red dot on one of those brackets from Mesa tactical. It is plenty accurate and consistent for Turkey work. I have also shot some slugs from it and it does fine a reasonable distances though the slugs PoI is different than turkey loads at the same distances. The only downside is that removing it for either cleaning or to use the gun with out it is a major pain in the ass.

robtattoo

WKR
Can't say I've ever shot groups with it, being a non-choked, cylinder bore & my shotty range being limited to 40yds (I'm perfectly fine with a 4" 40yd group. It's pigs......) But the bottom end, Field Sport red dot & Amazon's cheapest mount have worked a charm for me.
#1 (pig) & #4 buck (H/D) are near enough to poa at 20yds that I could give a rip that it's not sexy or tacticool. It works for me on this gun, with my loads.

Since I'm the new guy here and I'm not sure outside links are ok; I won't post a link....but Amazon sells the basic setup of what I run, but again; I modified it because I use a Trijicon RMR and not the Fastfire. Nothing wrong with the Fastfire, but being me, an ex .mil guy, I trust Trijicon sights more than something I've never used in the field.

Search Burris SpeedBead 1187, you'll find what I am talking about....if you choose to go that route....either way......Happy Hunting!

On another note, the bottom Gun in my picture is a Savage 220 .20 Guage.... with the Tarhunt treatment. Vortex Razor 2-10 X 40 G4 BDC. Ammo is Tarhunts 365 Gr., 62 Cal. Non-Sabot Schrifle Slugs.

Not Cheap, but plenty of punch!

rayporter

WKR
those saddle mounts are notoriously hard to keep steady. they rock up and down and if you try to tighten them you can impair the action. add to that the barrel junction [ which you can shim] and range is limited.

TauPhi111

WKR
the cheaper saddle mounts like the B-Square brand and similar are junk in my experience. I do have one on my 870 though made by Mesa Tactical and it is a great mount. It is very solidly attached to my receiver, which is key for any kind of accuracy. I'd highly recommend that mount to anyone looking for a saddle mount for a shotgun. I have a Burris fast fire 3 on mine and with the iron sighted rifled barrel that came with my 870 combo, i can shoot 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards

OP
B

boom

WKR
thanks for all the replies.

my gunsmith said he can drill and tap my receiver to take a picatinny rail system. i am going to go this route.

rayporter

WKR
i had an 1100 drilled and put a base on the receiver. i had him to drill into the barrel so 2 screws were holding the barrel solid.

worked for me.

howl

WKR
So much easier to just clamp it on the barrel. Aimtech, Aimpoint and Jpoint have products.

OP
B

boom

WKR
You doing a full rail?
no clue! at all.

i suppose first step is to measure the rail. i wish i had the sight already so can can hold it on the shotgun to firgure out eye relief.