Anyone use their bugle tube to amplify cow calls?

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed Remi Warren using his tube to amplify basic cow calls when I was watching one of his hunts the other day.

Anyone ever done this? Seems like it could be a decent tactic when youre trying to get the attention of a little more distant bull.

ElkNut1

WKR
Sure, why not! As soon as I do my Son looks at me & laughs! He says why are you doing that, good question because it's really not necessary unless you are trying to use it for location purposes. When that's the case I get loud, whiny & will use Contact Buzzes on high volume. Now you got something there that can cause a reaction out of other elk. Outside of that many hunters just do it because they saw someone else do it! (grin) Have fun out there!

ElkNut

CJF

WKR
Also to “throw” the sound behind me. (Bull and cow sounds).

Not sure if this works scientifically, but in my mind I’m definitely tricking them.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep all the time but how about using it to stir and splash in a wallow🤣 thought it was a good idea decades ago until I went it use it again🤣…excitement of the moment….the more variety you can create the better the realism affect….never want to get into the same tone and sound endlessly that is not real elk….thus the reason the hoochie ran its course 🤙…been using reeds since the 80s but may try the new ez sukr by Phelps that just came out for cow calls it sounds very sweet check it out on line has that little nasal soft reality sound

Gerbdog

WKR
I used to run cow calls through the bugle tube but i never had any results from it over the years in the areas i hunt. I use the tube for bull noises and i tend to keep my cow sounds quiet and subdued these days.

ElkNut1

WKR
Why have we done it, heck who knows. Do the Elk care, I mean seriously speaking here do the elk really care!

Do we think we fool them for a 2nd if we cast our sounds left or right that we can redirect their approach with any real world significant results. If so I sure haven't seen it. Elk can come from great distances no matter which way or which direction I faced myself or my bugle tube & walk right to the spot, time & time again & year after year!

No doubt in our minds we want to think it's redirecting traffic but with over 60 elk down between my Son & I & near that many more we've called in over the years for friends & family elk come to the caller & sometimes circles a bit to get the wind of the caller; not in the direction the caller or which way his bugle is facing. -- If we want to redirect their approach in a setup the Caller needs to actually move to a different position to direct their approach to get the bull to pass by us or the shooter.

P.S. -- Not a single Elk has ever been called in because we cow called through our bugle, but boy the bulls we've called in with it is off the charts! food for thought! Use what works for you!

ElkNut

Marble

WKR
Also to “throw” the sound behind me. (Bull and cow sounds).

Not sure if this works scientifically, but in my mind I’m definitely tricking them.
It's worked for me. Anecdotally I called facing behind me and a cow stood up out of her bed at 20 yards and looked in the direction I called. She died...

Doesn't prove anything, but it seems to work for me for predator calling.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

EVD

FNG
No doubt in our minds we want to think it's redirecting traffic but with over 60 elk down between my Son & I & near that many more we've called in over the years for friends & family

ElkNut
Paul out of all those successful encounters, how many times would you guess that glunking made a difference?

I'm never quite sure if and when to use it, and wonder do I even need to keep carrying the 'glunker'. I know the thought is it's a bull scent checking a hot cow and slapping his tongue, but how & when is it best used?

Thanks

ElkNut1

WKR
EVD, not that many, probably count them on two hands! When I glunk I also pant & moan a bit sometimes with a short growly bugle if the situation calls for it. I also will glunk in the Breeding Sequence & Slow Play Sequence.

At times I will cow call & rake, no bugles but I will pant 3-4 times & give a couple series of a 1/2 doz glunks portraying a bull in the presence of a cow in estrus. I don't bugle giving away my size or state of maturity. Of course it's situational but this works well when a bull slips in silent. This will play on his curiosity.

All this is in video form & lots more in the New ElkNut Mobile App coming out this month.

ElkNut