Anyone use Venmo?

Brendan

WKR
Venmo is owned by PayPal. I have heard of Venmo payments being reversed. Buyer (scammer) pays via Venmo, then complains to them that the payment was unauthorized.

Only use it when you really know and trust the person. If you want something better (IMO), use Zelle. Many large banks use / support it now and you're getting away from PayPal.

Zelle, to my understanding, is not reversible, and offers zero buyer protection.

Either you or the other party in a Zelle transaction needs to have an account with one of the participating banks. Not like PayPal or Venmo that you can just sign up with any bank.

If you want buyer protection - use PayPal goods & Services, or a USPS Money Order. Someone defrauds you in the latter case, I believe it becomes a federal crime and you can get Postal Investigators involved.

Last edited:

T28w

WKR
I use it some, but they have taken to reporting some credit card purchases as cash advances which absolutely blows and ruins it.

I don’t pay for hobby items with bank transfers because I have needed my CCs fraud protection before.
This.

I pay for everything on here not friends and family because I’m charged a cash advance fee. Took me a couple purchases to figure it out and call the credit card. They see you giving money to a friend as a cash advance, which is fine.

I will second the fraud protection with cc’s. You will have a hard time getting money back once it leaves your bank account. The credit card people have systems to help you dispute claims and not hold fraudulent charges on you. Were just went through an ordeal this summer.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I wasnt aware Paypal does not allow firearms transactions, It would be nice if a better option that provided purchaser protection was available
Funny because on gunbroker Paypal is one of the preferred checkout methods for buyers and sellers. It only comes up if the buyer wants to be a crook/raise a stink......so as a seller I never sell to anyone who doesn't have a long list of positive feedback on purchasing.

I also make a point to attach tracking info to any Paypal transaction....I believe if you do that and Paypal can confirm through tracking that it was delivered, it makes it a much more uphill battle for the buyer to weasel their way out of it.

mvmnts

WKR
Just get your paypal account back dude. I know they are pure trash, but you ARE going to get burned using venmo, zelle, or cashapp. "I accept venmo, zelle, or cashapp" is practically the siren song of scammers. Once you send your money, it is gone for good and there is less than nothing you can do about it. Paypal owns venmo, so if you're trying to avoid doing business with them, that aint it either. And USPS money orders? If I'm trying to buy something online and get scammed, I don't want to launch a federal investigation, I just want my money back. Paypal does that. Just hold your nose and go get an account again.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Does not work for buying things, but for selling Square is an option.

fatlander

WKR
PayPal locked me out for selling a bow on eBay. I had to go through ridiculous hoops to get my money freed up and account unlocked. They never gave me a real reason why it was flagged. After reading this, now it’s starting to make sense. What else is one to do though? I’m not sending USPS money orders. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoopwse

FNG
Venmo is great for everyday stuff with people you know but for buying from a stranger across the country I would be skeptical

Jardo

WKR
paypal does not allow firearms or weapon transactions. if you use it or venmo (owned by paypal) to buy a firearm and they find out, they will lock your account and keep your money.

do not use it to buy weapons or ammo unless you are willing to gamble that they won’t find out what the goods are.

just because some have been lucky and have gotten away with it, doesn’t mean your lucky enough to get away with it.

trust me, i know this very well and let my mistake be a lesson for all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk