Anyone used chemical bodywarmers in their bag?

*zap*

WKR
Wondering if anyone has experience using the chemical body warmers in their bag to add to the warmth?

Appreciate any insight on this subject, thanks.

Works pretty well I have thrown in a couple on a really cold night. They will normally last through the night

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure your careful. I got a weird chemical burn on my nutsack from one. Sleeping in just boxers, then I got cold so I threw in a body pad. Somehow ended up in my boxers, must have split open. True story.

jhm2023

WKR
My favorite thing to do is heat water up just shy of boiling then pour it in my Nalgene. Screw the lid on tight, give it a shake test for leaks, then throw it in the foot of your bag. It keeps your feet nice and warm all night and makes a surprising difference in the overall warmth of the bag. Plus you have warm water to brush your teeth with in the morning.

tlkaetz

WKR
I have done it many times. Just throw in a few near your feet and you are set. They make a big difference in my opinion.

Make sure your careful. I got a weird chemical burn on my nutsack from one. Sleeping in just boxers, then I got cold so I threw in a body pad. Somehow ended up in my boxers, must have split open. True story.

Thanks for sharing.

Bbqed nut sacks aside, I have used them for my wife. The body warmers have a weight penalty but they work. Foot warmers on the socks are good too.

That boiled water in a Nalgene bottle rocks. Make sure you don’t have leaks. A gallon ziplock is good insurance and some after market caps will warp with hot water and leak so test. Put it in before you get in The bag to prewam it. It not last all night but you will be toasty for a few hours. I get up first and give the ole lady another warm bottle before she gets out of the bag.

NDGuy

WKR
My favorite thing to do is heat water up just shy of boiling then pour it in my Nalgene. Screw the lid on tight, give it a shake test for leaks, then throw it in the foot of your bag. It keeps your feet nice and warm all night and makes a surprising difference in the overall warmth of the bag. Plus you have warm water to brush your teeth with in the morning.
That's a neat idea, especially not having to brush your teeth with 10 degree ice water in the AM lol

I've used hand warmers in my bag a few times. It's really nice when you are cold and a little damp, to be able to crawl into your bag and have things nice and warm for you.

Never had any issues like others have. I use the Hot Hands brand

I use one of the big hot hands body warmers in the foot of my bag when it's real cold out. My feet are always the first thing to get cold and it helps a lot.

JMF

Lil-Rokslider
I've done it as well. I use the big ones and they are still very warm in the morning. They actually saved a hunt one time when the temp got down to 5 degrees and I only had a 20 degree bag. They are worth the weight when you can get by with a 20 degree bag over bringing a 0 degree bag.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
The big warmers last up to 14 hours and can be reused if you seal them in a zip lock after the first use.

rayporter

WKR
i have done it and they do last a long time. put them in a zip lock in the morning and have some heat ready for sitting. at 10,000ft I have had them almost quit putting out heat. but they last a long time then.

rbljack

WKR
I used this trick last fall and it worked great. The only thing I did in addition to this was put that Nalgene into a my lightweight dry bag as an added precaution. Worked great!

isu22andy

WKR
The large body size you can start about 8:30 and run all night into the morning till about 8:00 I found out the other day.