Anyone using a BDC type scope?

If so how has the compensation calculator worked for you? I am looking at the Nikon Inline XR. On their calculator you click your powder charge but not your actual powder. Concerned the calculator won't be very accurate.

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
I'm asking specifically to muzzleloaders. With rifles I am sure they have the powder brand and weight available for each calculation. With the muzzleloader calculation in Nikons calculator they only ask for the powder measure and not type. I cannot imagine Pyrodex, T7 and BH209 at 100 grains or whatever will all create the same ballistics.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a nikon bdc scope on my TC Triumph and it is pretty nice. It is not as clear or sharp as my higher end scopes, but for the distance a muzzleloader should be shot, it is great. The bullet drops are spot on inside of 200 yards if you use their recommended loads.

muddydogs

WKR
I have a Vortex 3x9 BDC on my muzzy, once Utah lifted there 1x restriction I put the 3x9 off my 7mm on the muzzy and put a 4x16 on the 7mm.
My muzzy shoots 300 grain .45 XTP's out the muzzle at 1970 fps. The Vortex subtensions give me 133, 185, 228 and 272 yard range marks. Depending on how far your willing to shoot your muzzy the BDC will either benefit you or be wasted lines in the scope. I find that the marks are close enough for field work out to 200 yards, I haven't messed around with it past 200 put probably will in the near future as I'm going to hit the 1000 yard range to see how the 25-06 shoots out to 300 yards and plan to play with the muzzy a little just to see.

I have a Leupold Ultimate Slam on a T/C Pro Hunter FX. I discovered the marks aren't pin point accurate. I shoot the BH209. I have tried the pellets and various bullets all getting me mixed results.

Pretty sure you could find a system that would work out to 200-300 yrds

I will add I shoot the BH209 at 120 gr with a 250 gr Barnes sabot and the 100-200 yrd hold marks are decent. The 300 are off.
Now I have shot some pellets and other sabots, where My 100 yrd range varied over 5 inches, my 200 not on paper color.
That's kind of what I meant by you should be able to play with powder types, and amounts, as well as sabot sizes, styles and vendors to get what will work.
I have a deer muzzle loader tag this year so I will be dialing my rifle in and getting it set up better. If I remember I had to hold on at 100, in between at 200 and low at 300.
I may have been able to drop the powder down to 100 gr and been right on- so play with powders and amounts, as well as with sabots til you get really good 100 and 200 and 300 yrd shots.

If so how has the compensation calculator worked for you? I am looking at the Nikon Inline XR. On their calculator you click your powder charge but not your actual powder. Concerned the calculator won't be very accurate.

You might call Nikon and ask them what type of powder they used for their muzzleloading calculations. Also, since it is basically a tool that tells you what marks to use for your distances, you could just spend an afternoon at the range and make your own DOPE sheet for your preferred load and the BDC markings.

OP
MuleyFever
I imagine I will have to do something like make my own using their numbers as a starting point. I really don't care to shoot long distances. With a muzzleloader I am pretty sure you will run out of effective velocity before you run out of hold over marks on the scope.

I got out today with my T/C FX Pro Hunter
Leupold 3x9 Ultimate Slam
Barnes 250 gr EZ
Blackhorn 209
209 primer

I loaded my powder to 120 gr and the hold over clicks were spot on
I am zeroed out at 100 Yards
My 200 is right on
My 300 is right on

I did not bother with the 150 or 250 marks

For a muzzle loader scope- I think the Ultimate Slam is a winner.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
You might call Nikon and ask them what type of powder they used for their muzzleloading calculations. Also, since it is basically a tool that tells you what marks to use for your distances, you could just spend an afternoon at the range and make your own DOPE sheet for your preferred load and the BDC markings.
I have a Nikon BDC and use BH209 with Barnes 290 grain bullets. I use the Nikon Spot On program. I have my muzzle velocity at 1845 fps. Using this was about 8 in off dead center at 300 yards with a 100 yard zero.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ENCORE

WKR
IMO, you're better off learning to dial than to use a BDC reticle. Dots and circles cover small spots at longer ranges and task saturate scopes. Just an opinion ;)