Anyone using a Manfrotto 498rc2 head with their tripod?

todd kelly

Anyone using a Manfrotto 498rc2 head with their tripod? I'm looking for some feedback on how it handles a spotting scope. Thanks.

Yellowknife

Haven't tried the 498RC2, but am using the smaller 494RC2 and it handles an 85mm just fine. Can't imagine the 498 would have any problem.

Yk

OP
todd kelly

todd kelly

Thanks Yellowknife, How is the 494 to use without the panning of the 498? Do you wish you had the option? Ive never used a ball head so I don't really know how they are to use.

Yellowknife

I used a panning Benro ball head of my dads last year, and it was enough to convince me to avoid that option when I bought one for myself. It's just too many levers/knobs for me to try and manipulate by feel with my eye to the glass and it was really hard to control the panning tension.

I'm perfectly happy with a regular ball head, and the Manfrotto 494 is pretty smooth, but if I thought I wanted to do lots of panning I would go with a fluid pan head of some type. The advantage of a ball head in my mind is the ability to get them in a lighter weight and compact size. The 498 is both big and heavy, so not a direction I would go.

Yk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
blockfire76