Anyone using energy gel shots? If so what’s good?

Dillon L

FNG
Just curious if there is anyone out there using energy gel shots? Which ones taste half descent? Any brands that support hunting? Any that are extra strength for when it hits the fan?

Jacack

WKR
they gross me out, tried them biking and just cant do it. the consistency gets me every time

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
I played with them on and off now only using them for last ditch effort if I tank out ! The GU upset my stomach (FYI) I do like the products made by Hammer Nutrition, the huckleberry gel is good 😉 And made in whitefish Montana
On a side note I think gummy bears work as good or better if I'm paying attention and don't get to far in the hole !

Trial153

WKR
Espresso Gu...Clif Shot blocks margarita
28561805a9790cb8155b2700fa4e9c26.jpg

mtnkid85

WKR
Ill occasionally use them on some long runs, but try to avoid them if I can.
Test them out for your self on some short runs, the only ones my gut can handle are from Hammer Nutrition. The Gus go right threw me!
Really there best benefit is being able to get calories on board when the physical act of chewing is too difficult, for general hiking I prefer other calorie sources.

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
As a road cyclist, I have used most all the brands when I was racing. I mostly use GU, Hammer Gel, and Cliff Blocks. I never had an issue with stomach upset. Try them out on your scouting or hiking trips, or even at home before you get into the field. Some flavors will have caffeine and some will not. So if that is an issue make sure you check the ingrediants on each flavor. The key to helping the Gels work properly is to drink fluid when you take them. This helps with getting the Gels absorbed quicker.

Ears

FNG
I ordered 3 cases of Clif Shot Blocks for a trip this fall...I love those things. I've tried a few of the gels and don't mind them, I just don't like getting my hands sticky from the packaging sometimes. I probably won't do much with them anymore. I have a friend that has her own small-scale honey operation. She makes me a bunch of honey-straws that I'll be using a lot of!

Austink47

WKR
I always keep a couple in my first aid kit. Cliff or GU whatever they are giving way at an event. Citrus of coffee seem to be pretty safe. NEVER vanilla! Mental thing, sorry. On several occasions I have given them to people that have totally bonked, and they have really helped. I recommend eating them a little at a time with lots of water. They also come in handy on a long stalk.

530Chukar

WKR
I ran my first ultra marathon a few weeks ago and brought some Cliff Blocks along. I had a noticeable increase in energy 10-15 minutes after eating a packet, lasted for 30 minutes or so. I tried one of the Muir gels and it was horrible. I think it was Vanilla Cashew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Hammer Montana huckleberry, best flavor period. Don’t do much hunting but do end up taking them for biking and running.

Usually if I’m biking I use honey stinger gummies, they are like fruit snacks. Clif shot blocks are a last resort.

Black Ovis has the honey stinger gummies, I buy cherry blossom, by the case and use them all the time for running, biking, skiing. Anytime I feel I need to take something in, usually after about an hour of hard activity, less for running.

I sorta gave up on gels a while back and do the bar thing.

I like single serve peanut butter and almond butter. With or without honey or chocolate they are all good. Justin’s is my go to brand.

Poser

WKR
I prefer the Honey Stinger gels, but don’t mind any of them really. I carry a couple as a backup for hunting, but I mostly use them for long days on the bike where I’m in and out of a anaerobic state and it’s less efficient to process carbs for energy. Hunting is usually more steady state aerobic so I find I can rely on real food more. It’s also easier to control my heart rate since I can often choose the pace vs. having the terrain dictate it while on a bike. Be sure to take care of your teeth if you eat them regularly. DIY dehydrated fruit will be much cheaper, slightly heavier and probably more enjoyable, but make sure you test whatever you intend to use and keep in mind that altitude can cause GI issues for many people.

The consistency gets me too... just never really warmed up to them. Maybe I tried the wrong ones lol.

The best - hands down.