Anyone using Hornady ELD Match for LR hunting?

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Somebody wants to try the 285's in their 338AI......
I'm contemplating running them through my norma this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will be running them this year in the 338 snipetac after piercing trough a cow 2 times at long range. Hope to hit a spring bear or two with it this year.

I too am interested in experience with these bullets on game.

Kotaman

WKR
I will be shooting the 180's out of a 7LRM for just about everything this fall. (Black Bear, Deer, and a couple sheep hunts where I could encounter a caribou and grizz) Will try to remember to post my results.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
Not exactly long range but my son and I used 147 eldm in 6.5 CM last year for deer and elk.

My son killed a buck at 400 yds one shot Landed kinda high shoulder bang flop.

My son killed a cow 425 yds quartered to us slightly, he put it on her shoulder, slipped between bones on onside shoulder, busted offside shoulder but didn’t exit.

I shot a buck at 550, hit a little high, had to give him a second round.

I killed a cow at 350, she stoved right up on the first shot, I gave her another one and she tipped over.

Again not exactly long range and not as detailed on exact damage but they seemed to do the trick pretty good for us.

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
I watched him shoot a 6 point at 510 yards with a 260 3 times. The bull humped up bad after the first shot and sucked up two more but never really took a step. Standing right next to that 6 point was a 6x7 that was getting shot 3 times by a 7mm remmy and a 28 nosler and they had the same effect on that one. Both bulls took 3 shots and dropped at the exact same time and rolled on top of each other. Pretty sweet to watch really. Hes told of cows hes shot out to 600-700 with them but I havent been there to watch.
im just wondering about footage of this!!

Sako300

WKR
My 6.5 with same eldx bullets required follow up shots on lung hits on deer and even on coyotes!??? I’m still confused

These animals were both within 125 yards👎
I’ve had several of my hunters use 143 ELDXs at close range (under 150 yds) in the last couple of years with mostly disappointing results! No problems with ELDMs at any range.....but only out to 400+ on whitetail so far.

mmw194287

WKR
Any thoughts/observations out there on the 168gr (30 cal)?

I know the best practice is heavy-for-caliber, but I'll be shooting them from my 20" .308 CTR--thinking of trying the Hornady Superformance Match.

Kotaman

WKR
Killed two black bears with the 180’s out of a 7LRM a couple weeks ago. First one was close (64 yards) frontal. Hit him in the chest, pencil hole in, no exit with major internal damage. He never even flinched as his chin hit the ground.

Second was a big bear at 254. Similar results with two quartering away hits. Dropped on first shot, got up and dropped him again. Both shots behind front shoulder. Bear was dead where he stood. With two cases in the books, I’m impressed. I’ve had similar results with the ELD X with a little larger entrance holes.

Good feedback. What do you estimate impact velocity was on the 64yd shot? Did it hit any bone?

I will be shooting the 180's out of a 7LRM for just about everything this fall. (Black Bear, Deer, and a couple sheep hunts where I could encounter a caribou and grizz) Will try to remember to post my results.

I’d maybe reconsider this. I’ve not been super impressed with the 180eldm out of my 7LRM. My buddy shot a gorgeous black bear this weekend using my rifle. We had the bear at 864 yards but opted for a closer shot since he’s not as skilled marksman. Snuck in close and Bear was 204 Yards. Perfectly quartering away shot. I was kneeling behind watching through the binos. He claims he aimed through mid body for off shoulder. He hit the bear so hard it pancaked him. I thought for sure it was a dead bear. The bear rolled down the hill about 100 yards hit his feet at the bottom and took off into the timber. We backed out and came back the next day. I found a little blood and painstakingly tracked the bear over a mile through the timber back to its den. He was still very much alive (24 hours later) he came out in a hurry and other than a slight limp he seemed fine. Watched him cross the canyon and go up through a bolder basin. Completely floored at this whole situation. I’m going back to the drawing board and throwing out all the 180eldm bullets I own.
7b490ba83519deec20a6212858a05089.jpg

d479d0cb56da7a6b8342a775664e2287.jpg

29b8e338fed6b1561884df9ec5e4462d.jpg

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry about your bear, they are notorious for internal bleeding only from the ones I've seen shot.

On another note: I will be doing a direct comparison of the 212 ELD-X and 225 ELD-M this fall on elk. Both running 3100 FPS from 2 X 300 Ultra Mags. Provided I get the opportunity to do so on GEN WY elk tags

WRO

WKR
I’d maybe reconsider this. I’ve not been super impressed with the 180eldm out of my 7LRM. My buddy shot a gorgeous black bear this weekend using my rifle. We had the bear at 864 yards but opted for a closer shot since he’s not as skilled marksman. Snuck in close and Bear was 204 Yards. Perfectly quartering away shot. I was kneeling behind watching through the binos. He claims he aimed through mid body for off shoulder. He hit the bear so hard it pancaked him. I thought for sure it was a dead bear. The bear rolled down the hill about 100 yards hit his feet at the bottom and took off into the timber. We backed out and came back the next day. I found a little blood and painstakingly tracked the bear over a mile through the timber back to its den. He was still very much alive (24 hours later) he came out in a hurry and other than a slight limp he seemed fine. Watched him cross the canyon and go up through a bolder basin. Completely floored at this whole situation. I’m going back to the drawing board and throwing out all the 180eldm bullets I own.

Sounds like he hit him too far forward honestly. Even if it just pencil holed through the lungs, that bear would be dead.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

You got .284:)

204guy

WKR
I also wasnt very impressed with the 180 M. DISCLAIMER: they are Midway 2nds so maybe the anatomy is different but they left gritty sand like lead particles everywhere. Similar results with a couple elk and mule deer. Only starting at 2700fps so not stressing them either. Everything died, but just wasn't impressed especially with young kids and all the lead. Ms for practice and Scenars for killing from now on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've used the 180 ELD'm for a couple years. MV of 3000 FPS. I think we've killed around 10 deer/antelope with it. Furthest was 550. Most have been in the 400-450 range. I'm not a very big fan of them. First year I shot an antelope buck quartering away at about 420 and couldn't find the bullet. No exit.

This last year my wife shot a buck in the snow at about 415 yards broadside. It ran 50-70 yards and I couldn't find any blood for the first 30 yards. I got up high and spotted it dead on the other side of the ravine. Walked around to it and even the 5 yards or so I walked its back trail I didn't see any blood. It had a small entrance and about a dollar sized exit.

We haven't lost anything yet. But I have never seen such a lack of blood or it take so long for animals to die.

WKR
What do you think is the lowest velocity that a 147 ELD would expand well at? Got some going out of a short barreled rig like Luke's and I am curious.