Anyone using HPG Umlindi

Smid

WKR
Looking for info on actual users and what you think. Thanks

I really like HPG stuff but ended up selling my bigger packs due to lack of organization. It is just one big compartment. I really like their shoulder straps though.

I use a decker and decker pocket with a Tara hanging off the back. Also kit bag with bino pouch. High quality stuff, really like the frame design. But no experience directly with the Umlindi.

Voyageur

WKR
Have used my Umlindi for several years now and really like it. During the summer and fall seasons it is my stand site preparation pack...hauls my Silky Saw, lures, pruning shears, tie wire, water, etc. In the winter months it switches over to serving as my predator calling pack....Crazy Creek chair, FoxPro call, shooting sticks, decoy, etc.
As others have mentioned the lack of pockets, dividers, organization etc is a turn off to some. I prefer it because I like simplicity. We've all got our different preferences. It is a pack that you will most likely never wear out nor will it likely fail you.
Hope this helps.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Have used my Umlindi for several years now and really like it. During the summer and fall seasons it is my stand site preparation pack...hauls my Silky Saw, lures, pruning shears, tie wire, water, etc. In the winter months it switches over to serving as my predator calling pack....Crazy Creek chair, FoxPro call, shooting sticks, decoy, etc.
As others have mentioned the lack of pockets, dividers, organization etc is a turn off to some. I prefer it because I like simplicity. We've all got our different preferences. It is a pack that you will most likely never wear out nor will it likely fail you.
Hope this helps.

Thank you

Size wise, how do you feel it carries? Think it would compress enough for practical EDC? The lack of pockets doesn’t bother me, I can use pullouts and I have a Kifaru admin sleeve for the work items I need.

I will also be using it for coyote hunting so that’s good to hear. I was looking at the pack bucket for my AR as well, and if it fits a caller to free up hands for my tripod, even better

Voyageur

WKR
Thank you

Size wise, how do you feel it carries? Think it would compress enough for practical EDC? The lack of pockets doesn’t bother me, I can use pullouts and I have a Kifaru admin sleeve for the work items I need.

I will also be using it for coyote hunting so that’s good to hear. I was looking at the pack bucket for my AR as well, and if it fits a caller to free up hands for my tripod, even better
I really like the way it carries. Along that line it is very much worth your time to watch their pack fitting videos to make sure you have things adjusted properly in order to get the most out of the HPG features. I did not do that at first thinking I knew enough about pack fitting to do it my own way. Eventually watched their videos and at that time started getting the most out of the Umlindi's features.
In my opinion it will compress as much as you want it to. To help with that you can use it with or without the waist belt. For my Umlindi I use the lighter HPG Recon belt. On my HPG Ute pack I use their Prairie belt as it is beefier and handles a heavier load better for me.
Edit:
One of the very best features (for me) of the HPG system is their yoke style shoulder harness. Once I got that adjusted properly the fit and carry of my pack moved up to a whole new level.

Last edited:

mcr-85

WKR
I have had a tara, a connor and now the AHBC. I like hill people gear stuff! The side pockets fit a tripod and spotter perfect on the AHBC. I'm sure I could use it for coyote hunting but I pack everything I need for that in my sly dog chair.

IMG_20191020_135129-01.jpeg

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a used Umlindi. Very comfortable with the aluminum stay bent to fit my back. High quality materials and build. Excellent compression straps. Kifaru organizer hangs inside at top like it was made for it. Sherman Pocket fits the outside like it was made for it also.

Hogyotedeer

Banned
I have used the Umlindi for a couple of years and for me is just the right size. The pack is super comfortable thanks to the harness system along with the prairie belt. In my opinion you can't go wrong with the Umlindi.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
I bought a used Umlindi. Very comfortable with the aluminum stay bent to fit my back. High quality materials and build. Excellent compression straps. Kifaru organizer hangs inside at top like it was made for it. Sherman Pocket fits the outside like it was made for it also.

Would you have a picture with the Sherman? I have a Sherman and shapecharge I was going to offload, but I might keep the Sherman knowing that

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
Would you have a picture with the Sherman? I have a Sherman and shapecharge I was going to offload, but I might keep the Sherman knowing that
Sorry, don't know how to post pics. If you pm me your cell#, I can text you some.
The Sherman Pocket has the webbing loops, just like the HPG pack pockets have. It is a perfect fit. You can run the Sherman loops through the Umlindi itw loop locks, and have it like it is sewed on, or just run it like a grabit if that is what you like.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
I had the HPG admin pocket on the Umlindi, but prefer the Sherman's layout better.

Hondo

WKR
My large day pack setup is a Prairie belt with my Umlindi as well as an Aston Panel and Pals Pocket. Very comfortable and versatile enough to be an overnighter.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I replaced my Stone Glacier Avail 2200 with an Umlindi a couple years ago and I like it wayy better. It is simple, durable, and useful for variety of tasks. I just pack thoughtfully (I also use FHF pullouts), so I don't miss built in pockets too much. It carries much more comfortably than the avail, and it seems to be able to hold a bit more, but thats probably because it's a top loader and I can just cram it full if need be. Love the side pockets, use them all the time for tripod/water bottle/etc. The recon belt paired with it is enough for me, I have no desire to get the Prairie belt, though I have never tried it. The newest gen umlindi looks very sweet with the bigger side pockets and large built in pocket. I wouldn't hesitate to get it for hunting/travel/edc.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Well you guys didn’t tell me the umlindi was out of stock! Need to call tomorrow and see when they’ll be in, but seems like it should work well for me

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
Well you guys didn’t tell me the umlindi was out of stock! Need to call tomorrow and see when they’ll be in, but seems like it should work well for me
Looks like they are in stock this morning.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
61D817E6-6A4C-4280-BBCC-AC45C0323C11.png

I’m getting that for everything except black

Voyageur

WKR
In my experience it's usually not an overly long wait with HPG when something is out of stock. They are also really good about letting you know when things are back in stock. I've been on their notification list more than once.

tater

WKR
My wife and i have both use umlindis as edc/general use recreation packs for years. I have also stripped the harness and belt off a time or three and run it on my kifaru frame. I was able to stuff an entire small boned out whitetail in mine on a late season hunt four years ago. Bomber-built little packs.

Full disclosure: i am a huge Hill People Gear fan, and run a lot of their product.