Anyone using Inspire Sleep Apnea device?

Since this device is implanted under the skin, similar to a pace maker, Does this interfere with toting a backpack for hunting of hiking.
Wondering if the placement of the device, and back pack straps cause a problem?

I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea and been using a Cpap since 2008. This new way to treat/manage Sleep apnea seems great. No machine, no mask, travels easy, easy to use without power or big batteries to buy (expensive) and carry.

This is sort of a survey.
I will also be posting the same question on the AT site : White Blaze: to see if any of the hikers are using it.

I am a surgeon that implants them. Their website is fairly useful. They have a lot of marketing so take that for what it’s worth. I think properly selected people do really well and are very happy. It’s a great treatment for some for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
I am a surgeon that implants them. Their website is fairly useful. They have a lot of marketing so take that for what it’s worth. I think properly selected people do really well and are very happy. It’s a great treatment for some for sure!

Hey brother do you have any links to whitepapers that explain how it works in medical terms? Thx

manitou1

WKR
I was just diagnosed with severe central sleep apnea and was prescribed an ASV. Regular CPAPS and BPAPS were counter-productive and actually caused me to wake up suffocating.
I have had nine types of surgeries and on of my worst was an IUPP whereas they removed my tonsils, adnoids, uvula (with the roof of the back of my mouth), all for nothing. I don't suffer from obstructive sleep apnea, which is different from central sleep apnea.
Will have to research and see if this new appliance can help me, as I do a lot of mountain hunting, back country, off grid camping, etc.

Can you expand on what patients you typically see the best success in and the ones that aren’t good candidates?

My wife is interested in it but she’s not been able to find a local physician that works with them and she really would like more info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hmm. Let me see.

Basically Inspire is a neurostimulator. Somewhat of a pacemaker. It is a battery powered electrical impulse generator. It is paced to respiration. It has a sensing lead implanted into the intercostal muscles that detects muscle contractions. That contraction occurs on inspiration. Once that signal is detected, the generator sends a pulse through the stimulation lead that is attached to the branches of the hypoglossal nerve that push the base of the tongue away from the posterior pharynx. This creates space where one would otherwise have obstruction. When expiration occurs, the stimulation stops and the tongue relaxes. It is turned off during the day. When you turn it on at night it has a delay built in. So most people turn it on, and it doesn’t start working for about 30 minutes, giving the patient time to fall asleep before tongue muscle contractions occur.

Can you expand on what patients you typically see the best success in and the ones that aren’t good candidates?

My wife is interested in it but she’s not been able to find a local physician that works with them and she really would like more info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Every insurance is different and kind of a moving target, so this may not be exact in your situation but should get you in the ballpark. Generally mild to moderate OSA (AHI 15-65), predominately obstructive apneas (less than 25% Central events), and not obese (some insurance wants BMI
You can check their website to find providers in your area. Disclaimer: I am not a salesman by any means and feel this is just one option for some people.

I have obstructive apnea and have wondered about this as well. Mine isn’t too severe and I’m sure if I lost the weight I could get rid of this crappy machine and mask! Keeps me awake more times than I can count sometimes.

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
I looked into Inspire and decided it wasn't for me. To try and answer the OP's question I believe where the device is implanted would interfere with backpack straps and there would be pressure on it. However since ryjack is a surgeon he should be able to answer that question.
wmd

I looked into Inspire and decided it wasn't for me. To try and answer the OP's question I believe where the device is implanted would interfere with backpack straps and there would be pressure on it. However since ryjack is a surgeon he should be able to answer that question.
wmd

That’s a great point and something you will want to discuss with your surgeon if you are seriously considering it. It could potentially be placed outside of the strap location, but that is a risk. Maybe our friends with pacemakers could weigh in as those are much more common and basically the same issue.