Anyone using mecate reins?

82ndshawn

FNG
I was sitting here thinking about different tack and wondered how many folks are using a mecate setup? Seems like it would be handy for the backcountry by having a built in leadrope for use while riding. Obviously would still have to have a different setup for high lining, etc...

I use Mecate all the time. I love them in a rawhide hackamore or a snaffle set up. Super functional for me.

1623085214270.jpeg
This is my wife’s girl on her first day of hackamore work. She has maybe 10 rides under her in a halter.

Here’s my mother in laws you g boy in a snaffle set up with a nylon mecate.
1623085460638.jpeg

And here is my buddy in the two rein setup.
1623085695657.jpeg

I prefer a horsehair mecate for the feel the give me but they are expensive and can be rough on the hands until they break in a bit. That is where the yacht line , nylon ropes come in. It is especially aggravating when you have a mouthy baby wanting to get a hold of your 100 dollar horse hair mecate. 😂😳

Here’s my wife’s girl under saddle on her first day in the hackamore

1623086120485.jpeg

She did awesome and super chill. She’s gonna be a good one.

All that being said I don’t do any any back country stuff other than some trail rides. I’ll help move cows for my neighbors check calves some and play around with ranch horse stuff.

OP
82ndshawn

82ndshawn

FNG
I ride with them sometimes but for hunting I recommend a halter under your headstall or at least pack one to tie up with. To easy to hurt a horse or tear up you headstall. YMMV
Sure, tying up you would have to take a halter. I was just thinking it would be mighty handy for quick stops, etc

I use a bosal hackamore exclusively on my horses. I always have a halter on underneath. I find it just as quick to slip my leather thong holding the lead off the saddle horn and tie witht the halter lead alyways so I dont come back to broken gear, or not haveing a horse where I left him. For the Mecate, for hunting I use the flat tube braided sailing rope as shown in the second picture.

Attachments

• P1000769 (2).JPG
    P1000769 (2).JPG
    517.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 103_3333.JPG
    103_3333.JPG
    535.8 KB · Views: 39
Just for anyone worried about tying their horse be a mecate rein setup. I've done something similar to it occasionally but not for any real long time . I like this way better it seems easier than how I've done it before.

I started with rommel reins but spent 30 years trying to find another pair. Found a handmade set at the Mt State prison store for $150.

I too use a halter under the bridle and my own homemade lead ropes. I want my ponies where I leave them when I get back. I outfit all my reins with brass snaps so I can easily disconnect them when I leave so they can't tear things up.

CFMT

FNG
I will preface this by saying I don’t think there is a “wrong” way, but in the back country, in lots of snag areas and sketchy trails, there’s lots of scenarios where you can rip a snaffle through a horses mouth or stumble and catch a leg through a McCarty. You can just as easily lead with a set of split reins and have the ability to drop them loose if you get in a bind.

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer a rope type rein in a roper or mecate style setup over split reins as i tend to lead my animals a lot downhill or on a ridge line and have had split reins fall off get stepped on and broke too many times. Typically for me, the hackamore is more of a training tool as opposed to a handy way to get off and lead in the mountains and i wouldn't ever tie an animal by it. Rope halters and lead ropes without any snaps for me.

WKR
Split reins 99% of the time. But 1% of the time I want to feel cool, so its a hackamore. And I do feel cool.
Feeling cool is important. I've heard you will feel even cooler if your wear chinks, a flat hat, and ride a saddle with a Wade tree and buck rolls.

That's what I've heard.