Anyone using the NF SHV 3-10? Lotta bang for the buck

The never ending Rifle Scope saga. Having owned, and still owning a small pile of FFP optics....I am wanting to go retro for a dedicated big game rig. It's the new fad now (I am guilty as well) for every gun to be Long Range. I am wanting to use and continue a build over time, of a Left Handed 338 Win Mag. I REALLY like magnification. The 10X leaves me far short of what I would like. But would still cover everything I NEED.

I own an SWFA 3-9, so no need to suggest. I don't really care for it.

Wanting to know if many have utilized the NF SHV 3-10, and overall thoughts. I'd love the NXS version, as I truly love illuminated reticle. But not for the extra $500+.

Also think I would be a huge fan of the MOAR reticle. Lots to like. Just no Zero Stop I don't think? Shim kits available?

I have 2 of the 3-10 shv’s and am a big fan for 20oz. I do like the 3-10 more than I did my 2.5-10 NXS. I think the eyebox is better, and I like the parallax adjustment better. Yeah I wish it had more mag and an exposed turret, but Nightforce has that in the 4-14 and it’s 30oz...

The capped elevation and no zero stop is a minus sometimes, but for some applications it’s actually a plus. I find myself spinning off the turret and putting it in my bino harness when I know I’m getting into a
Shooting situation, works fine.

I put one on a 300 win mag, love it as a bombproof scope. The MOAR reticle is very easy to use, glass is fantastic, and all the knobs adjust super smooth. I don't plan on dialing with mine, but it would be easy enough just to pop the cap off when you need to spin turrets.

OXN939

WKR
Many thanks for your input

I'm with ya on wishing they hadn't discontinued the non illuminated version- so much so that my stimulus check turned into one. Will update with how it works out. Evidently, the SHV line is made in Japan, not the USA. Not that that's a deal breaker or anything; just interesting info.

OP
J
Where are all these rumors coming from? Kinda reading there are no more Parallax adjustable models made....with out without illumination. I thought the non illuminated were standard with parallax adj?

What would they pull parallax adj OFF a model? that's dumb

Ram94

WKR
Their website still shows adjustable parallax on the non-illuminated models and I just bought one brand new as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Nightforce Optics.

On our SHV 3-10x42 optics, we currently only manufacturing that optic with center only illumination and parallax is fixed (125m).

Respectfully,

I have one on my main hunting rifle. Installed it last December not much field time with it, but it seems solid. I have spun the dials a bit. It is pretty satisfying to make 10 MOA adjustments in every direction while shooting a box test, and go right back to zero. I have the basic Forceplex non illuminated. Simplicity has some perks. Doug at CameralandNY helped me out.

One note, this scope is compact, and has a pretty short mounting surface. This can require a different ring and base combination on long actions. I had to add a rail to get mine set up how I wanted.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
How is the reticle in low light? Do you wish you would have got the illuminated reticle? I have had them before on cheaper optics and not ever used them. But the forcplex reticle is fineer than a cheap nikon

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
Also im thinking of the nightforce pic rail for my rem 700 with a spuhr hunting mount. Seem like a solid set up vs rings?

What are the perks of simplicity?

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with ya on wishing they hadn't discontinued the non illuminated version- so much so that my stimulus check turned into one. Will update with how it works out. Evidently, the SHV line is made in Japan, not the USA. Not that that's a deal breaker or anything; just interesting info.
Why didnt you want the illuminated reticle?

OXN939

WKR
Significant cost increase for what I find to be zero utility. I, personally, have never seen an illuminated reticle on a riflescope that I'd use for anything other than tactical shooting at night.

I just like a simple reticle on first focal plane scopes. I prefer capped turrets for my style of shooting. I can see the duplex well enough in hunting conditions. Part of the reason I didn’t get the MOAR was people described it as a little fine for dark timber. Illumination probably helps with that.

I put one on a 300 win mag, love it as a bombproof scope. The MOAR reticle is very easy to use, glass is fantastic, and all the knobs adjust super smooth. I don't plan on dialing with mine, but it would be easy enough just to pop the cap off when you need to spin turrets.
Do you use the illuminated one