Anyone want to go bowhunt in NZ with me?

Jimbo2312

FNG
Hey fellas,

I had a friend bail on this trip, so it just became double the cost. Splitting the cost of a rentacar and helicopter would be amazing and honestly preferred at this point, I have no experience in New Zealand but its something I've been dreaming about for the past few years. I have the ability to fly standby, meaning I have flexibility in scheduling this... if your seriously interested, let me know-DIY, on the cheap side of things. And for anyone in NZ reading this, I would gladly exchange an Illinois public whitetail hunt to tag along with you, even if its just glassing/ packing out and enjoying the country!

Thanks,

Jim

Chances you kill something with a bow is zero.
Haha

When you goin?

Where you chopper in at? I’d have a plan B. West coast got 3 foot in rain in 48 hours last time. Changes plans in a hurry.

OP
Jimbo2312

Jimbo2312

FNG
Chances you kill something with a bow is zero.
Haha

When you goin?

Where you chopper in at? I’d have a plan B. West coast got 3 foot in rain in 48 hours last time. Changes plans in a hurry.
Yes I figured as much, haha. This is as much to get a better understanding of the terrain and animals the right way vs. spending weeks behind a computer screen. If I get a shot at one that's great; I'd be just as happy to help some pack theirs out though.

Heli out of Haast, he outlined what you just said about rain and had a few other spots for backup. I really wanted to hunt by Big Bay but it looks like the trails are ****** and heli there is more than 2x the cost than going closer to Haast. Ideally going at the end of the month- super flexible with flights though, flying standby

Big bay is roar block fairly certain.

Heaps, heaps of sand flies. Been up the cascade valley a wee bit one time when I was chasing waves Jackson bay and it blew out.. Fvck all the sand flies were worse then mozzies on the tundra.

If your plans get shot to hell pm me. Couple spots where Tahr are plentiful but not to hard to get to walk wise from where car can get to.

OP
Jimbo2312

Jimbo2312

FNG
Big bay is roar block fairly certain.

Heaps, heaps of sand flies. Been up the cascade valley a wee bit one time when I was chasing waves Jackson bay and it blew out.. Fvck all the sand flies were worse then mozzies on the tundra.

If your plans get shot to hell pm me. Couple spots where Tahr are plentiful but not to hard to get to walk wise from where car can get to.
Thanks man really appreciate it, I've heard hell about the sand flies too, nice to talk to someone first hand about it.

DOC lists Pyke on my permit as saying nothing about roar block, only dogs prohibited- guy at the heli place didn't say anything about that either, but it does look like they 1080ed not too far south of there. Around Lake Aviemore isn't too far the the heli place, thats basically plan A at this point but if you have any suggestions that are driveable by otago I'm all ears. I applied for all south island spots if that helps

Otago to Canterbury isn’t super far if that’s a worry

That said outside of around my mates station further south in otago I’ve only hunted around the wilkin valley (saw some nannies up around crucible lake but a fun jet boat ride)

hunter (coming in from ahuriri (just hinds and looked to be immature bulls)

dingle burn (not worth it unless you get permission to drive infrom John)

and I can’t recall off hand a different block but it has fallow in low numbers. That’s the more common “otago” blocks. Oh and the revelations once on an overnighter, bashing up a creek and jumped a small Cham buck for my efforts. It was hot and not very good.

I hunted otago a lot my first trip to nz. And didn’t turn up a lot of game. But awesome country. Sucks because my wife would take the phone after dropping me off and me the camera and when our phone and camera got stolen 6 months later up in Northland we lost everything. Never offloaded any of the camera pics or iPhone. Just random stuff on Instagram.

2016 Spent time in the blue mountains chasing fallow, and a wee bit outside of greenstone for the same. Mavora got 1080’d right before I was in there so that was just a family mission really and hoping to get a fallow.

Last edited:
OP
Jimbo2312

Jimbo2312

FNG
Appreciate that info a lot ndbowhunter, I’m definetly all ears to other spots, just seems like a flight into queenstown work work well hunting closer to there. I got quoted $800 for the heli ride for Sunday to Sunday, with pickup option in case weather is shit/ want to change spots, I’m pretty happy with that really

Just yarnin here. House sitting rest of this month in Kauai while the owners just left for a kiwi mission.

left me a Hoyt spyder carbon with the same draw length so i’ll Have to get a couple arrows on target here soon and see if I can dip into na pali coast at some point.

I wouldn’t pay 800 usd$ when good Tahr/chamois spots are free with a 2 hour walk. But it’s fun as to chopper in so no shade thrown. Just know it’s not necessary.

Have a ball man. Vicarious this go round. Wife wanted a holiday not a mission. Lol.

OP
Jimbo2312

Jimbo2312

FNG
Ya that’s stuff I have no idea about, appreciate that info a lot dude. I won’t ask for your spots or anything, you think South Island has some of those kind of spots open and not roar blocked? I’ve been looking at the 1080 stuff as much as I can, what’s it called when the government shoots a bunch of em?

No 1080 is a poison. They drop it from choppers in bait form, usually carrots.. Sodium flouroacetate . Nasty stuff. Volumes could be written about it.

Waro (wildlife animal recovery operations) is when gusy chopper with doors off to shoot stuff, sling it and sell it to meat market. Usually venison aka red deer but I have heard of it for Cham and goats.

Once you figure out where stuff hasn’t been 1080’d and waro choppers don’t go is when you find animals.

OP
Jimbo2312

Jimbo2312

FNG
No 1080 is a poison. They drop it from choppers in bait form, usually carrots.. Sodium flouroacetate . Nasty stuff. Volumes could be written about it.

Waro (wildlife animal recovery operations) is when gusy chopper with doors off to shoot stuff, sling it and sell it to meat market. Usually venison aka red deer but I have heard of it for Cham and goats.

Once you figure out where stuff hasn’t been 1080’d and waro choppers don’t go is when you find animals.
Waro’ed, that’s what I was looking for. Thanks man, I knew about 1080, but wasn’t sure what the term was called for mass kills - in the US, it’s got a few terms but basically “DNR sharpshooting”. Sounds a bit different than here though, they don’t sell the meat, it’s a shame. You think they have any data on where they’ve WARO’ed?

Doc gives out the waro permits but as to where they use them, it’s basically random.

UoGet buzzed a lot by no door choppers in certain areas.

One place in particular the bulls got pushed so hard into the scrub that when you’d glass them up they look like grizzly bears. They never get that blonde mane. And if they hang around the river a lot they don’t shed nearly as much so they are real shaggy.

West coast has a fair bit of nocturnal Tahr but that’s a bit different.

308nz

FNG
Hey fellas,

I had a friend bail on this trip, so it just became double the cost. Splitting the cost of a rentacar and helicopter would be amazing and honestly preferred at this point, I have no experience in New Zealand but its something I've been dreaming about for the past few years. I have the ability to fly standby, meaning I have flexibility in scheduling this... if your seriously interested, let me know-DIY, on the cheap side of things. And for anyone in NZ reading this, I would gladly exchange an Illinois public whitetail hunt to tag along with you, even if its just glassing/ packing out and enjoying the country!

Thanks,

Jim
Hi Jim, I'm based in the central north island a small place called Raurimu, you are more than welcome to come for a hunt on my place heaps of red and fallow deer. Me and a mate are planning a trip to states when this covid shit clears so I would be keen to pick your brain with regards to hunting in the US
It is a lot different to here with regards to permits and tags.
Cheers Mark