Anyone with a CA Ridgeline swap out comps?

Budda

FNG
I have a new CA Ridgeline in 28 nosler. It’s got the factory comp on the end that it came with. Anyone swap it out for a different one by chance? The one on it dang near deafens me every time I shoot it. I never had a rifle I needed ear muffs in the woods but this one sure does and I’m sure it’s because of the comp on the end. My 300 RUM isn’t nearly as loud and that Ridgeline. I was thinking of swapping it out for one off my AR10 and seeing how it sounds but figured someone else might of done the same thing and figured I would ask.

rootacres

WKR
I had a 300 WSM with the factory radial brake. I swapped it out for a Gen 2 Little Bastard. The performance of that particular brake is awesome.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a Ridgeline in 300 PRC and swapped the factory brake to the CA side port brake, but I never shot it with the factory radial brake. I always wear ear pros so can't comment on loudness. I'm sure it's just as loud as the factory brake tho

Brakes and burning 80+ grains of powder = fukkin loud. You’re not going to find a brake worth having on that rifle that you would reasonably hunt with without ear pro.

Last edited:

Spoonman

WKR
If you are shooting a rifle with a brake and no ear protection then you’ll be deaf before you know it!

Huh.... I didn’t hear you will be what you say most often

OP
B

Budda

FNG
My 300 RUM doesn’t have a brake on it and bench shooting, definitely need ear pro however while out hunting it is not bad. The brake that comes on the CA blows it back towards the shooter which is why it’s so shrill. I’m gonna try others brakes to see if they are any better.

My 300 RUM doesn’t have a brake on it and bench shooting, definitely need ear pro however while out hunting it is not bad. The brake that comes on the CA blows it back towards the shooter which is why it’s so shrill. I’m gonna try others brakes to see if they are any better.

I’d forego the time and money involved. They are all too loud without ear pro.

elkguide

WKR
No hearing protection?????

Even without a brake, when you get older you're going to be like me and wish that you had worn ears anytime you were shooting. I might make an exception for hunting IF you aren't using a rifle with a brake but once you go to a brake...... NEVER shoot without protection of some sorts.

HuntnPack

WKR
Assuming your Ridgeline came with the factory radial brake. It has 90 deg. Holes
Which forces gases out radially, not rearward to the shooter.
You should be able to find a brake that will be perceived to sound differently, by either going to a brake with side ports, either angled rearward, or 90 degree, or a combo of both. NONE of which are hearing safe.
you may want to focus on one that lessened felt recoil & or concussive effects to the shooter. A brake with the front 2-3 ports angled rearward & the last port closest to the shooter cut at 90 deg.
that clips the blast of the forward ports.
Make a good compromise.
Also consider going with a suppressor, to reduce both some recoil & some noise.
Both muzzle devices will still require hearing protection. Hearing loss is cumulative & doesn’t grow back.
I’d recommend trying out electronic
Hearing protection.
To keep what you have.... protect it !!!

Last edited:
The brake that comes on the CA blows it back towards the shooter which is why it’s so shrill. I’m gonna try others brakes to see if they are any better.

The radial brake on the Ridgeline has 90 degree ports so the muzzle blast/concussion at the shooter is actually less than most of the popular side baffle brakes.

OP
B

Budda

FNG
Assuming your Ridgeline came with the factory radial brake. It has 90 deg. Holes
Which forces gases out radially, not rearward to the shooter.
You should be able to find a brake that will be perceived to sound differently, by either going to a brake with side ports, either angled rearward, or 90 degree, or a combo of both. NONE of which are hearing safe.
you may want to focus on one that lessened felt recoil & or concussive effects to the shooter. A brake with the front 2-3 ports angled rearward & the last port closest to the shooter cut at 90 deg.
that clips the blast of the forward ports.
Make a good compromise.
Also consider going with a suppressor, to reduce both some recoil & some noise.
Both muzzle devices will still require hearing protection. Hearing loss is cumulative & doesn’t grow back.
I’d recommend trying out electronic
Hearing protection.
To keep what you have.... protect it !!!
I have a Hybrid 46 made by silencerco. Will see if I can use it out west. I know I can in Texas and Georgia but not sure about other states I hunt.

I put the titanium side baffle brake that Christensen sells on my 30 Nosler Ridgeline. I couldn’t tell you if recoil was any less because I never shot the brakes side by side. Recoil on my 30 Nosler feels less than on my Model 70 .308 Win, and the Model 70 is a heavier rifle.

I did shoot a pig earlier this year and didn’t have time to put my ear pro in with that side baffle brake, boy did my ears ring for a while afterwards. I’ve hunted for years with unbraked rifles and never had the blast issue this braked rifle delivers.

archp625

WKR
I have a Hybrid 46 made by silencerco. Will see if I can use it out west. I know I can in Texas and Georgia but not sure about other states I hunt.
You are better off putting the thread protector on your Ridgeline if you don’t want to wear hearing protection out in the woods.

Flyjunky

WKR
Go with the side port brake, you'll have less dust kick up and the muzzle won't rise as much so you can stay on target better.

I'm now in the camp of wearing hearing protection no matter if I have a brake on or not....too many years not wearing any has taken it's toll.