Anything compare to a Barney’s

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had a Barney's pack for several years and it is one tough pack. The waist belt never was quite right on my scrawny frame though. I then moved to a Camptrails external which for some unknown reason fits me better.

The older Barney’s frames were made by camptrails.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Very late but I will throw this in. I have three different MR packs. A Selway, a Cabinet, and a mule. Each is perfect for a different task. When I know I am going to pack a load several miles and/or through the mountains, I take my Barney’s pack. A lot of other packs can handle the weight. The difference for me is the suspension system. You have to put one on with weight before you understand. My son has been training for a wild land pack test. That is 3 miles on flat terrain with a 45 lb pack in 45 min or less. He trains with a Mystery Ranch Selway. I told him the test would be easy if he used my Barney’s pack. He was visiting and tried on my Barney’s pack and told me he could not compare the two packs because my pack needed more weight. My Barney’s pack was loaded with weights for training and I had my son step on the scale. He was shocked to find out the pack and weights totaled 63 lbs.

It is a pain in thick areas. I prefer a MR with an internal frame sitting lower on my back for that. I don’t find the pins to be noisy. The belt is a pain because it is the older type and you tighten it pulling out. I guess I could upgrade to the new belt if that was bad enough. But, I lost 70 pounds rucking and eating garden vegetables. I dropped from a 38 to a 32, and now it is difficult to get the belt tight enough and keep it tight. So, a new belt might have to happen.

As far as what I would use it for in the lower 48? I hunt in the eastern mountains and hauling a big whitetail or a bear several miles out calls for high end mountain boots and a serious pack. I’m 58 and want to keep hunting the woods, so yeah, I need that pack to save my back.