Anything good for hunting by The North Face?

KBC

WKR
They have 50% off for first responders and my wife qualifies but I don’t know much about their clothing. Do they have anything good for hunting? For some reason I’m always looking for the right pair of pants but I could use a new puffy and a shirt or two. Anything worth trying out?

I have the same discount, and have combed over their offerings pretty closely.

The answer is unfortunately - NOPE.

Raj patel

Lil-Rokslider
🤣nothing wrong with that.

Iv used there cats meow sleeping bag Backpacking in Denali National Park.(spent 3 summers up there working in a wilderness lodge) I think it’s a great bag for the money. That was years ago. technology might be obsolete now.

The discount does not apply to tents, sleeping bags, or any of the high end Summit/Flight series clothing lines. What remains is wildly overpriced apparel that is primarily made for privileged Suburbanites.

You may find something you like, and it may cost a little less than another companies alternative - but I bet it will not be high quality. With that said I absolutely love my TNF Ventrix. You should be able to find one on EBay for under $100.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I like their borod grid zip up as 's mid layer. Same with their tka glacier hoodie. The thermoball jacket is also a great insolation layer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I have a heavy 3/4 zip grid fleece pullover from North Face that I use as a mid-layer whenever it is cold and it is great. I also have several of their lighter fleece pullovers that I wear when it is not as cold. I like their stuff and wear it hunting and casually. I figure that most of their stuff is made for skiers and designed for maximum warmth so it also works well for layering while hunting. I always have some sort of NF fleece on while hunting in the fall or winter whether it is deer, elk or waterfowl hunting.

TomJoad

WKR
Disclaimer that I work for VF, their parent company. That being said I don't work for TNF and I'm brutally honest. (often to a fault). Their down and synthetic (thermoball) insulating layers are solid per the above comments. Futurelight is really picked over (sold out) at the moment but excellent new technology, super light and way more effective breathability than any other membrane systems on the market. Look for all the new Futurelight winter gear to hit the TNF site around November. If you are a late season hunter I'd consider this. Finally on the equipment side I don't like their tents but they launched an excellent new bag this your called "The One". It is a bag system that takes you from 5 to 40 degrees with a zip on top quilt. With 800 fill down and under $300 it's also an insane value. What's especially good about hunting with this bag is the top layer that completely removes to make for a nice packable down quilt for warmth while glassing. It even includes a toggle closure to keep it around your shoulders in this configuration.

Other brands in our envelope that may be running first responder discounts (haven't checked) that are awesome: Smartwool and Icebreaker. Icebreakers merino is my absolute favorite, base layers are insanely comfortable and warm. Icebreaker also makes my favorite merino t-shirts for hunting, crazy lightweight and comfortable as the next of skin layer. Smartwool is better on the sock front.

Sales pitch complete. 😬

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Remember “back In The day” when TNF was a hardcore brand? I have a big wall haul bag and portaledge that are TNF branded from a short window when they acquired a boutique climbing brand that was basically a garage based company called “A5”, circa mid 90s.

Anyway, I agree with the above that their sleeping bags are still worthy of consideration. Really nothing wrong with their outer wear line other than the fact that it’s over branded and not necessarily light weight.

TomJoad

WKR
Remember “back In The day” when TNF was a hardcore brand? I have a big wall haul bag and portaledge that are TNF branded from a short window when they acquired a boutique climbing brand that was basically a garage based company called “A5”, circa mid 90s.

Anyway, I agree with the above that their sleeping bags are still worthy of consideration. Really nothing wrong with their outer wear line other than the fact that it’s over branded and not necessarily light weight.

Indeed, I wasn't with them then but that product was awesome! They are actually back to the hardcore status, the days of pivoting to streetwear only are gone. That's still an important business (mostly leveraging heritage silhouettes) but there is a ton of real R&D and commercialization on Top of Mountain. On outerwear being heavy their older shells are but Futurelight is insanely lightweight... so light I'm holding my breath on true backcountry durability. I'll be getting a kit in Nov and will try to do a more comprehensive Rokslide post on its serviceability for true backcountry hunting. My initial read is it's light, highly breathable, nice stretch and very quiet. We'll see on durability in the deadfall and brush.

Last edited:
Indeed, I wasn't with them then but that product was awesome! They are actually back to the hardcore status, the days of pivoting to streetwear only are gone. That's still an important business (mostly leveraging heritage silhouettes) but there is a ton of real R&D and commercialization on Top of Mountain. On outerwear being heavy their older shelf are but Futurelight is insanely lightweight... so light I'm holding my breath on true backcountry durability. I'll be getting a kit in Nov and will try to do a more comprehensive Rokslide post on its serviceability for true backcountry hunting. My initial read is it's light, highly breathable, nice stretch and very quiet. We'll see on durability in the deadfall and brush.
What kind of waterproofness/breathability numbers is TNF getting on this new fabric?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TomJoad

WKR
What kind of waterproofness/breathability numbers is TNF getting on this new fabric?

Numbers are pretty crazy. Here's a non-VF reference here from product launch: 15,000mm water column combined with 70,000 g/m²/24h MVTR breathability. For those of you who are not industry science nerds that means waterproof except under high pressure. On breathability... wow. Most Gore-Tex is in the 17,000-25,000 rating vs 70k. We're talking next level breathability and moisture management here. Lastly their big advantage here is the tuning possible from nanospinning the membrane. This takes it out of the 1L, 2L, 3L conversation into tuning every material for weight, stretch and performance. That's technology that TNF owns and you won't see from any competitors. Marketing spin can found here.

Last edited:
Numbers are pretty crazy. Here's a non-VF reference here from product launch: 15,000mm water column combined with 70,000 g/m²/24h MVTR breathability. For those of you who are not industry science nerds that means waterproof except under high pressure. On breathability... wow. Most Gore-Tex is in the 17,000-25,000 rating vs 70k. We're talking next level breathability and moisture management here. Lastly their big advantage here is the tuning possible from nanospinning the membrane. This takes it out of the 1L, 2L, 3L conversation into tuning every material for weight, stretch and performance. That's technology that TNF owns and you won't see from any competitors. Marketing spin can found here.
70,000 breathability is crazy. Some of the hunting brands have better water column ratings but nothing will touch that breathability. My kuiu chugach for comparison is 20,000mm / 40,000 g/m2 / 24h

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DigDug

FNG
I've had good luck in the past using their tents and sleeping bags (for general hiking/camping/backpacking, not hunting specific).

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting to see tnf go towards more outdoors gear if they really do again. They did seem to have some good bang for the buck/weight sleeping bags when I looked recently.

Disclaimer that I work for VF, their parent company. That being said I don't work for TNF and I'm brutally honest. (often to a fault). Their down and synthetic (thermoball) insulating layers are solid per the above comments. Futurelight is really picked over (sold out) at the moment but excellent new technology, super light and way more effective breathability than any other membrane systems on the market. Look for all the new Futurelight winter gear to hit the TNF site around November. If you are a late season hunter I'd consider this. Finally on the equipment side I don't like their tents but they launched an excellent new bag this your called "The One". It is a bag system that takes you from 5 to 40 degrees with a zip on top quilt. With 800 fill down and under $300 it's also an insane value. What's especially good about hunting with this bag is the top layer that completely removes to make for a nice packable down quilt for warmth while glassing. It even includes a toggle closure to keep it around your shoulders in this configuration.

Other brands in our envelope that may be running first responder discounts (haven't checked) that are awesome: Smartwool and Icebreaker. Icebreakers merino is my absolute favorite, base layers are insanely comfortable and warm. Icebreaker also makes my favorite merino t-shirts for hunting, crazy lightweight and comfortable as the next of skin layer. Smartwool is better on the sock front.

Sales pitch complete. 😬

That's good to know on the merino clothing. I'm sort out f looking for a new long sleeve and t-shirt. I've always worn this ratty old stoic brand merino long sleeve I got cheap through strap and cheap a long time ago. It's time to get a new one! I also have a hooded laspo merino long sleeve, but it's bright blue.

How does the ice breaker brand long sleeves compare to the stoic or laspo?