Anything out there better than a Kifaru Sawtooth or Hilleberg Tarra For A One And Done Bulletproof Shelter ?

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a gear nut and was wondering if anybody out there has found anything BETTER than the Kifaru Sawtooth or Hilleberg Tarra for camping in the most harsh conditions of Kodiak Island, Alaska ?

I’m only interested in a 1 or 2 man bombproof shelter, that can accommodate titanium wood burning stoves. I’ve used a Coleman catalytic propane heater in the vestibule of the Hilleberg and stated toasty warm, but the weight penalty sucks!!

If there is anybody who lives in SE Alaska and hunts/camps there I would love to hear what you are currently using that WORKS (especially in heavy rain, wind and snow loads)

***Also wondering if people are using the SST (snow sand tundra) stakes for these type shelters ?

I look forward to hearing your feedback, experiences and recommendations.. Thanks!

Snyd

WKR
I had a Tarra for about 15 years. Great tent. Not totally free standing since you have to stake out the vestibules. Check out the Staika. Same fabric, 10mm poles like the Tarra but totally free standing dome style. Not really setup as a hot tent though.

Broomd

WKR
Tough finding dry wood on Kodiak to burn.
And there are many incredibly bombproof 1-2m tents, RAB, Integral Designs, Bibler/Black Diamond, Hilly...but none are setup for a titanium wood stove. Ain't happening.
If you seek the heat option in a very small shelter, recommend to stay with the small butane/fly stove and a 2 man tent.

Kodiak goat hunting, GoLite Utopia 3. Integral Designs MKIII

edRjVox7Samo6nAd1dcz+g_thumb_fe2.jpg

ethan

WKR
take a look at seek outside, they have some very lightweight shelter options that will accommodate a stove and all of their stuff is very high quality

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a gear nut and was wondering if anybody out there has found anything BETTER than the Kifaru Sawtooth or Hilleberg Tarra for camping in the most harsh conditions of Kodiak Island, Alaska ?

I’m only interested in a 1 or 2 man bombproof shelter, that can accommodate titanium wood burning stoves. I’ve used a Coleman catalytic propane heater in the vestibule of the Hilleberg and stated toasty warm, but the weight penalty sucks!!

If there is anybody who lives in SE Alaska and hunts/camps there I would love to hear what you are currently using that WORKS (especially in heavy rain, wind and snow loads)

***Also wondering if people are using the SST (snow sand tundra) stakes for these type shelters ?

I look forward to hearing your feedback, experiences and recommendations.. Thanks!
Not that it fits the bill in regards with using a stove, but I mainly hunt on POW and up in the alaska range both sheep and moose. I use the KUIU mountain star. Works great as a solo tent with lots of room or fit 2 people pretty easy. Has held up in winds up 50-60 mph. I use 15 degree stone glacier and nemo tensor sleeping pad and have never been cold even if temps dropped into the teens. It's held up in heavy rain and ventilates really well.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, thanks for sharing 👍
I think I left out one of the biggest perks of the tent. You mentioning Kodiak and heavy rain.

The fact that the poles are external and the inner is attached to the fly allows you to set it up in the rain without the inside getting wet.

OP
M

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, that’s how the Hillebergs are..at least my “Tarra” model does! I can also just pitch the inner tent when it’s nice weather too! My Tarra was made in Sweden or Estonia I think..

Another great advantage is the (2) vestibule’s (one on each end) so if camping alone I can set-up my reactor stove on one end and stow my gear, boots etc on the other end. It’s especially beneficial when camping with (2) people when you got to go outside and take a piss lol
As far as your KUIU “mountain star” it sounds good as far as weight savings and holds up well in hard rain and wind, BUT I’m not sure about the long term durability as this particular make/model was probably made in China unfortunately..which is really kind of sad. Don’t get me wrong, but I love KUIU gear, I bought all my vias hunting base layers and jackets back in 2012 when everything was made in Canada. I really like the spindrift jacket and my attack pants!!! 😎

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, that’s how the Hillebergs are..at least my “Tarra” model does! I can also just pitch the inner tent when it’s nice weather too! My Tarra was made in Sweden or Estonia I think..

Another great advantage is the (2) vestibule’s (one on each end) so if camping alone I can set-up my reactor stove on one end and stow my gear, boots etc on the other end. It’s especially beneficial when camping with (2) people when you got to go outside and take a piss lol
As far as your KUIU “mountain star” it sounds good as far as weight savings and holds up well in hard rain and wind, BUT I’m not sure about the long term durability as this particular make/model was probably made in China unfortunately..which is really kind of sad. Don’t get me wrong, but I love KUIU gear, I bought all my vias hunting base layers and jackets back in 2012 when everything was made in Canada. I really like the spindrift jacket and my attack pants!!! 😎
Gotcha. I'm Def not trying to push anything. I am Def not all-knowing in terms of gear. The kuiu I've had for several years and is still holding up. Just giving you what I know.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
there are plenty of options as good or better than those 2.
Like I said to OP, my experience is limited since I have not tested too many tents. What option is better in your opinion and I would love to hear why it is better? Please be advised I am not trying to come of with an attitude. I am always interested in the people's opinions based on their experience.

*zap*

WKR
Something being 'better' is subjective to the use of the shelters and what is important to the user. The sawtooth is far from the best floorless shelter unless the person using it has used many others and decided it is the best for him and even that is subjective to the current needs of that user.

I think that some people purchase something and then that item is the best..

Last edited:
OP
M

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
When weight is an issue and I’m camping solo, I use a Sierra designs SFC Solo Assault 1 person tent, it’s completely waterproof and has (2) screen doors as well as vented ends (a small vent on each end) for excellent ventilation. It breathes pretty well with the EVENT lining inside, the only downside if you want to be anal about it, is you can’t stand up in it. These are used by the Navy SEALs and are made in USA!!

The really cool thing about this tent is you can connect it (canopy/vestibule) to another solo assault or Mountain Hardwear hunker 1 solo tent! You can keep your pack, muddy boots and cook underneath and stay completely DRY!!! If your lucky enough to find one GOOD LUCK, cuz they are super rare!!!