Anything you wish you took?

OP
E
So got it all sorted out ended up going with a different outfit and are now limited to 80lbs including weapon per person. So to say the least we have some breathing room since they are providing food,tent, camp gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
So got it all sorted out ended up going with a different outfit and are now limited to 80lbs including weapon per person. So to say the least we have some breathing room since they are providing food,tent, camp gear.

Sounds like you are now going with Arrowhead. There are alot of mixed reviews regarding them, I would do some reading and make sure you know what you are getting into. It's a long way and alot of money to hunt north of the Brooks.

AKBorn

WKR
80 pounds apiece is way more than you need if the outfitter is providing all of the gear you listed above. If you are flying into the Brooks, be prepared to be within sight of other hunters' camps, and you might be limited in which directions you can hunt, based on other hunters being dropped in the area.

OP
E
Sounds like you are now going with Arrowhead. There are alot of mixed reviews regarding them, I would do some reading and make sure you know what you are getting into. It's a long way and alot of money to hunt north of the Brooks.

Going with Arctic Air, heard nothing but good things about Sheila and the group and from my exp dealing with them so far it stands true.

OP
E
80 pounds apiece is way more than you need if the outfitter is providing all of the gear you listed above. If you are flying into the Brooks, be prepared to be within sight of other hunters' camps, and you might be limited in which directions you can hunt, based on other hunters being dropped in the area.

Agreed, we should be coming in around half that per person given all the supplies gear/food. Also from what they are telling me we will have few miles between their camps, but who knows where the other outfitters will be dropping.

Diesel

WKR
What I learned and experienced. We hunted the Malchatna herd back then which I understand is really down now.

At 80 lbs you can take the kitchen sink. Take good glass. My Swarovski 15x outperformed my moderate quality spotter and was way more comfortable to use. Take a tripod for the binocs. One spotter for the group should work if you want but make it a good one.

We lived in the hip boots. Crossing boggy tundra instead of trying to skirt it saves miles.

I took an 18 inch square blaze orange flag and zip ties and hooked it to the highest tree (maybe 15 foot tall) so I could find camp easily in a featureless tundra. That was before GPS existed. Reassuring peace of mind.

Read a book that was spot on worth reading. "Hunt Alaska Now" by Dennis W. Confer. Believe what he is saying.

Head net. Citrus acid and small spray bottle for spraying meat to keep flies off meat. Important.

Wet wipes, good headlamp and xtra batteries, top quality rainwear, anti diarrhea pills, motrin, tums, plenty of coffee, folding hand saw for cutting brush to make brush piles to air meat if no trees for hanging meat, para cord, lots of jerky, water filter, flag tape. Two 55 gallon garbage bags, small tarps. I'm old school so I like a topo map.

Tape a ballistic chart with wind drift to your stock for that long shot. Rangefinders are light.

Don't forget the positive attitude and grin.