AO Tent Options for base camp

Got two teenagers that I normally bring out for Oct/Nov elk hunt in MT/ID/WY depending on where I can get them tags so usually getting into some weather. My normal setup is to run an f-150 w/ me in the bed and the boys up top on the roof when we are staying mobile and cold camping. So that means gear for 3, and coolers to fit 2 elk typically in the bed underneath my coffin rack. So I’ve got a small utility trailer that I toss an 8x10 wall tent / wood burning stove in so that if we are getting to stay in an area for a couple of days we can setup someplace warm to sleep / dry out in etc. Trying to get a lighter/compact setup than the wall tent that takes up less space and is faster to setup and can have room for a stove, 2-3 cots that I can get the kids in to dry out / warm up and sleep in for the times we can base camp it.

Was looking at the AO series tents…you’ve got igloo, arctic oven and shockey series. So have two sets of questions:
  • Anyone have experience on the igloo or shockey running 2-3 cots w/ stove ( got any pics? )
  • Can the arctic oven / igloo be setup by 1 person effectively? These I suspect are much stouter than the shockey looking at stuff I can find online, the AO being an external frame and the igloo being a heavy duty dome.

The one person question is because I want to be able to use it when I’m running solo the rest of the year and want to dry out after a few days away from the truck.

akrdkill

WKR
I got an igloo this spring on there sale, its an awesome tent for 2 ...& 3 is doable, I ran a buddy heater to take off the chill at night or in the morning & after 5-10 mins it was roasting inside. doubt id run a woods as the buddy heater is more convienent but im not looking for extended run times..... you can setup by yourself, prob 15 mins once you get hang of it, 2 makes it easier by a little bit..was easier & faster than the other groups cabelas 6 man guide tent....its nice at 5-40lbs you can handle moving it around compared to the 60lb arctic ovens....havent seen the Shockey series so can't comment but all the arctic ovens will last thru our lifetime, built like a shit brick house!..........I did seam seal my fly again this winter just to make sure some of the guy out areas & around doors & windows got sealed good...I thinned out silicon & brushed on

epicaaron

Lil-Rokslider
OP, this reply is a little late, but I just set up my Shockey for the first time this past weekend on a winter camping trip in the cascades. Here are the highlights for anyone looking for info (hard to find anything on the Shockey's)
  • The tent without guys or stakes weighs in at 22lbs
  • The entire kit with 18 military stakes and 13 of the high-wind guy outs and all bags weighs 28.5 lbs
  • Easy for one person to set up, even on skis in unconsolidated snow. Almost as easy as my Ti-Goat tipi, and unlike a tipi there is no fussing around trying to get the footprint right. Goes up and comes down with one person in about 15-20 minutes on snow, I think it would be quite fast on solid ground. Most of the setup time is just getting stakes in the ground.
  • You need 25 stakes if you want to use the upper guy out points in addition to all of the tent/fly guy outs (which require 18 stakes)
  • Bomb proof. Don't be fooled by the single pole design, I can't really conceive of a situation in which the Shockey wouldn't hold up if you can get stakes in the ground and guy it out. I think the semi-tip design will shed wind very well.
  • I heated it with a little buddy heater connected by a 12' hose to a 5lb propane tank. Even on snow in the winter the heater kept the tent t-shirt warm on the low setting. We used about 2 lbs of propane after running the heater ~8 hours, mostly on low.
  • Amazingly dry - Because of my dog there was tons of water melting in the tent every day and there was never any condensation on the walls. Nothing short of magic.
  • I have spent extended periods living out of shelters in the winter on skiing and mountaineering trips, nothing I have experienced comes close to the AO for comfort and livability.
  • I haven't used cots in it yet, but I suspect that you could do 3 but would have to be strategic to get everything arranged. 2 Cots would be easy and pleasant.
  • I would only bother with a wood stove if I wanted to save on weight, the little propane heater was more than adequate and can be run on a small canister for a while.

I got an igloo this spring on there sale, its an awesome tent for 2 ...& 3 is doable, I ran a buddy heater to take off the chill at night or in the morning & after 5-10 mins it was roasting inside. doubt id run a woods as the buddy heater is more convienent but im not looking for extended run times..... you can setup by yourself, prob 15 mins once you get hang of it, 2 makes it easier by a little bit..was easier & faster than the other groups cabelas 6 man guide tent....its nice at 5-40lbs you can handle moving it around compared to the 60lb arctic ovens....havent seen the Shockey series so can't comment but all the arctic ovens will last thru our lifetime, built like a shit brick house!..........I did seam seal my fly again this winter just to make sure some of the guy out areas & around doors & windows got sealed good...I thinned out silicon & brushed on

is the igloo big enough for 2 larger (like the cabelas 84x32 Alaskan guide) cots + stove?

akrdkill

WKR
yes...plenty room for 2 & stove.....I'd really look at the propane new way stove...these tents need very little heat to warm up compared to cabelas tents