Aoudad Back from Taxidermist

slatty

WKR
What a unique looking animal. I had an opportunity to hunt texas hogs and got into aoudad a little bit but didn't take one. I would love to hear about the hunt.

22lr

WKR
Beautiful animal! The mount really highlights the chaps, pretty freaking sweet!

Northpark

WKR
Mines at the taxidermist now. Should be done in September or so. I really like that habitat. I may ask my taxidermist about that.

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks for posting the pic. I've got a Texas free range hunt booked for Feb. and was wondering what mount would look good.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
That is very good looking mount. My hunting buddy killed one in North Texas last October. It had a very, very strong smell. He received it back from Taxidermist and it actually smelled up his house. His taxidermist said he used everything he could find, including lemon scented dawn, to wash the hide and could not completely eliminate the smell. It is a unique smell. Did your's have a strong odor?

I had a friend many years ago kill an ibex in NM and the mount was so bad he had to hang it out in the garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Spiral Horn
That is very good looking mount. My hunting buddy killed one in North Texas last October. It had a very, very strong smell. He received it back from Taxidermist and it actually smelled up his house. His taxidermist said he used everything he could find, including lemon scented dawn, to wash the hide and could not completely eliminate the smell. It is a unique smell. Did your's have a strong odor?

Thanks folks, it’s up on the wall and I’m really loving this mount.

About odor - Not sure where your buddies are getting their tanning done but there are no issues with bad smells from any of my taxidermy. That includes this Aoudad and smelly beasts like Ibex, Javelina, and Hyena (all notoriously stinky critters).

Also, there is a lot of misinformation out there concerning Aoudad. Like it is a Sheep or a Goat or a Hybrid - actually none of those. While they share some characteristics with both sheep and goats, Aoudad are a truly unique species and the only one in the genus Ammotragus. All I know for sure is they are spooky, super tough, a challenge to hunt, and absolutely gorgeous.

pirogue

WKR
[QUOTE="Spiral Horn, post: 1674355, member: 36505

About odor - Not sure where your buddies are getting their tanning done but there are no issues with bad smells from any of my taxidermy. That includes this Aoudad and smelly beasts like Ibex, Javelina, and Hyena (all notoriously stinky critters).

[/QUOTE]
Exactly. If it smells when you get it back, it’s not the animal, it’s the poor quality taxidermy.

I'm doing Texas 2021. Can you eat them? I'm hearing mixed reviews on eating them. The outfitter wants no part of butchering. But I do.

JasonWi

WKR
That mount turned out fantastic! Very talented taxidermist.

I've never been interested in hunting them, but as beautiful as they are I may eventually change my mind