APA feedback

Anyone have experience sending rifles into American Precision Arms for threading, installations, etc? I'm not concerned about their products, thats pretty easy to verify with years of real life reviews. I'm curious about their gunsmithing capabilities..Anyone?

Anyone have experience sending rifles into American Precision Arms for threading, installations, etc? I'm not concerned about their products, thats pretty easy to verify with years of real life reviews. I'm curious about their gunsmithing capabilities..Anyone?

It's not much but I have one buddy with a couple customs from them that he's happy with..

I’ve never sent one of my rifles to them for work but have owned 4 built by them that were superbly well made and fit and accurate as anyone could expect. Therefore I doubt you would be upset with their work on your current rifle.

I don't own one of their rifles, do own one of their brakes, that sits on a chassis gun (300wm built back when the MK 248 Mod 1 first dropped in military community). The APA brake is quite effective, I also have another APA brake on a Tikka 695 .338 wm. It is an early gen Little Bastard I believe. Works well.

CWLh41z.jpg

The large brake on the .300 (fat bastard) has a tendency to blow debris up when fired from the prone. When given time, I will either put something in front of the brake on the ground to mitigate this, or shoot from a slightly higher position.

I have inspected a couple bolt guns that were worked on by APA. One (if I recall right) had new bottom metal, AI mag, brake, a different extractor (either a sako or M16 type) and I believe a trigger job on it. The other had some similar work along with a composite stock. It was not a McMillan, but another high end, lighter, weight brand, that the name escapes me. As I recall you could see the fiberglass wraps under the clear coat.

Both rifles were very well put together. I remember working the action on the R700 SA and it was notably smoother than your typical R700 or clone.

FYI, I have a professional .gov background with firearms and have worked on literally millions of dollars worth of firearms, including piles of bolt and semi auto precision rifles.

PvNQiB6.jpg

Overall the work seemed very good. I don't recall exactly what the guy told me the price was, but I remember that it was very expensive. In fact I recall thinking that he was exaggerating about the price, but looking it up later, and finding out that he was not. However, if he is happy with what he got with his rifles, then, well good for him, as that is what is important, and I will just shoot my Tikkas and be happy for both of us. :)

In short, I have not seen anything that caused me concern in the rifles/products I have personally handled/used.

OP
D
I got two back from APA, threading and brake install. Not too bad, machining looks good and the bead blasting to blend dissimilar metals is fairly well done.. work was done within the time frame I was originally quoted, I'd do business with APA again. 20201231_201031.jpg20201231_201051.jpg20201231_201109.jpg20201231_201943.jpg