Apex hoody reviews

Mitten32

WKR
Did anyone out this piece through the ringer last year and what were your thoughts? IThinking about picking it up for early September archery hunts. Thanks

I had one and sold it. My archery season in the northeast is october 1st and it is usually cold, enough After a couple of weeks that I need more of a jacket.

Great piece. Quiet and comfortable. Fit was loose and breezy. It is somewhat expensive to be just a base layer and The kangaroo pocket wasn’t my thing. It didn’t bother me but I didn’t use it. Overall I was pleased but it just didn’t fit my style of hunting well enough to hang onto it.

If I were doing a lot of hunting where it was warm enough to wear it as an outer layer for more than a couple of days a year, I would absolutely have kept it. I am also a big fan of the apex pants. I wore those well into November this year.

renagde

WKR
I used it for the 2018 archery season on the east coast and a 2019 western elk hunt and again during 2019 whitetail season back east. Definitely one of my favorite Sitka pieces. I always layered with a core lightweight hoody underneath. I found myself using it most days in Colorado. It breathed well, and wasn't to hot during the day but really cut the cold when it was down in the 30s and 40s. The facemask is actually functional and works well. The hood fits tight like it should and doesn't inhibit my peripheral vision. The elbow pads took some getting used to but I do find them nice. I didn't really use the kangaroo pocket so that's not a selling point for me. Durability is enhanced because it's not 100% merino, there's blocks of the "apex" material on the high wear areas like where your backpack should pads run. During deer season, I used it as a layering piece under my Jetstream jacket and it worked equally as well. There's really nothing I would change about it. I will say that it does fit a little big. I wear this in a small, and most of my other tops are mediums.

Scorpion

WKR
I wore mine through most of spring gobbler in PA, all archery season in PA, rifle season, as well as part of a 9 day 2nd rifle hunt in Colorado.

It’s one of my favorite pieces of gear that I purchased last year. I’ve worn it as both an outer layer in mild weather and a mid layer in cooler weather.

I wore mine through most of spring gobbler in PA, all archery season in PA, rifle season, as well as part of a 9 day 2nd rifle hunt in Colorado.

It’s one of my favorite pieces of gear that I purchased last year. I’ve worn it as both an outer layer in mild weather and a mid layer in cooler weather.

I feel the exact same. I used it on hunts where I had tags or was just helping in CO 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and a late season management hunt. Wore it as an outer layer a lot hiking with a light merino baselayer underneath, but also layered on top. The hood is awesome.

I wish they made the same cut and style without the face mask, elbow pads, and the pocket to lighten it up. I personally wouldn’t carry this on a backpack hunt because there are lighter and just as warm options out there, that’s the downside to this technical layer.

renagde

WKR
I feel the exact same. I used it on hunts where I had tags or was just helping in CO 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and a late season management hunt. Wore it as an outer layer a lot hiking with a light merino baselayer underneath, but also layered on top. The hood is awesome.

I wish they made the same cut and style without the face mask, elbow pads, and the pocket to lighten it up. I personally wouldn’t carry this on a backpack hunt because there are lighter and just as warm options out there, that’s the downside to this technical layer.
What other options are there in a wool hoodie that fits this well? I know first lite has one but the fit is awful.

ad66216

FNG
I really enjoyed the Apex hoody this past season. I also have the Fanatic hoody but the Apex was nice for hunts where I was moving around more or in the early season for deer hunting. Since it only comes in subalpine and it isn't that warm, I switched to the fanatic hoody once the temperatures got colder. There are a couple good YouTube reviews on it but I found this one to be pretty good:

Hope this helps!