Apologizing- why is it so difficult?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Personal growth is very hard, always has been. Knowing that a gentle answer turns away wrath it makes life a lot more bearable. People who apologize tend to get gentle answers more often than not and that turns into productivity IME.

A genuine apology goes a long way in building the strength of any relationship. Recognizing an error whether it was intentional or even unintentional and correcting it, builds character, builds trust and adds strength to a relationship. Common Courtesy is no longer common.

Q child

WKR
Character - apologizing when you‘re wrong.
That’s my definition. It is difficult because building character takes work. Don’t sweat it my man.

Yarak

WKR
Nowadays apologies aren’t necessary since everything is someone else’s fault

"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it."

We're only human. I think about this quote from Marcus Aurelius a lot when I get angry.
Apologizing gets easier, and forgiveness feels a lot better than holding onto grudges.

SWOHTR

WKR
Good job. It is not easy but it is worthwhile. Recognize the mistake, sincerely apologize, apply the lesson in the future and move on. It is a simple, yet sometimes difficult thing to do.

dpat

FNG
"Woke up today and decided to kill my ego
It never done me no good no how"

Those are the opening lines to the song Just Let Go by Sturgill Simpson
The first time I listened to the song I thought isn't that the truth. Makes it easier to be humble when you look at things in that way I believe.

It's because we are embarrassed for our actions or words and generally because we are decent people. Only the narcissist doesn't have it in them to apologize.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
@dpat - spot on! I think the Apostle Paul had a similar thought.....'I die daily'......'crucified with Christ'.......I need to remember that each day......

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
"I'm sorry" and "I was wrong" are the hardest words to say in any language.

When someone says them to me genuinely, it makes them more likable and I have more respect for them. People who are never wrong and never sorry are really hard to get along with long term.

MattB

WKR
For good or bad my career put me in a role where I was the face of my company to my clients and every mistake my company made was one I had to own and apologize for. In the vast majority of cases, I was apologizing for mistakes I did not make so didn't have a lot of skin in it which made it easier. Over time that framework for apologizing translated to my personal life and it was amazing to me how liberating it was to be able to apologize without having to battle my ego and how a quick/sincere apology clears the air and can disarms tough situations. It is a very necessary adult skill.

Its difficult because most of the times a person means what they say when they are mad....lol

Why would you apologize for something you meant to say? Then you just look like a liar. lol

Only apologize for accidents. Sorry I hit your truck. Sorry I forgot to get milk......and so on and so forth.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
The harder it is for someone to apologize, the lower their self esteem is. Directly correlated.

chiroz

FNG
This is an encouraging post. Apologizing and forgiving are two essential life skills for a peaceful soul.