APP Sample -- Challenge Bugle!

ElkNut1

WKR
This is a short draft that we're working on but a good example of what will be in the APP. We are trying to include as much info as possible without too much in the written explanation. This sound & the rest of the sounds we are covering will have a fairly detailed explanation that follows a 1-2 minute video clip of how to make this sound with a mouth reed & bugle, we also show exact call & tongue placement for best results for each individual sound. Voice inflection is mentioned as well where needed & how to.

ElkNut1

CHALLENGE BUGLE!

What Does It Mean When I Hear It?

A bulls Challenge bugle can be a response to a nearby bugle from another bull as his cows show signs of estrus. Compared to a location bugle a challenge bugle is intense, threatening and often includes grunts adding to the stay away warning.

Should I Respond To This Bugle?

Not necessarily - this can be a perfect opportunity to silently slip in when one or more bulls bugle back and forth or on their own. Keep to cover with the wind in your favor as you close the distance on a vocal bull.
Pro Tip: Watch for other elk who could bust you as you move towards the bull - it's easy to get tunnel vision when headed in a bugling bulls direction.

What If A Bull Responds To My Bugle with a Challenge Bugle?

When bugling trying to locate elk and receive a challenge bugle in return head in the bulls direction quickly aiming to cut the distance to under 100 yards. FYI on timing - if it’s near day break a bull is in the feeding area - you have about 30 minutes to reach him before he leaves for his bedding area. From approximately 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. he's in transition from the feeding area to the bedding area your best bet is to dog the herd (follow them) to their destination. There's no need to alert them to your presence by calling - if calling is necessary to keep tabs on their direction use an occasional soft cow call loud enough to be heard and listen for a response from the bull as they head to their bedding area. From 10 a.m. on in most areas the herd bull is in his bedding area where he can be vulnerable.

Should I Try To Call The Herd Bull In?

To be continued in the APP! (grin)

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks guys! Got several more sounds defined, explained & written today! Lots of work but all is going well.

ElkNut1

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
In the ElkNut APP Update thread I had mentioned that it is to be aprox April 15th. We're still shooting for that time table. We have 250 testers to send to. Thanks guys for all your help! I look forward to your responses!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, it is being released to me tomorrow! I also have another shoot in the morning to help finalize the actual APP. This test APP I receive will be reviewed & then we'll send the link to you guys that had sent me your emails. This stuff takes longer than you'd think! (grin) Thanks for your patience guys, it is coming!

ElkNut/Paul