Appalachian slam

What a masochistic idea. I love it!

Although tags are generally more available and affordable, a bear-deer-turkey appalachian slam would have to be the most difficult of all the slams. Probably why it hasn't been done :) Might want to limit yourself to OTC states. Lottery states can be the "super slam".

Let me know when you're ready for SC and I might can give some general tips on the bear. We have a 7 day still hunt season you better block off 5-7 days for that. Lots of bears.

Like dragging a sack of jelly. Thankfully in SC you can quarter, most northeastern states I think need to come out whole.

It depends, some they don't need to come out whole, but everything but internal organs needs to come out. So you can cut them up, but need to bring rib cage and everything out to be checked. New Jersey I think you need the carcass whole, Maryland as well.

Need to read the language, it might say everything needs to come out, but no where does it say intact. Just frequently assumed it's whole.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’m planning on picking up or down loading all the manuals as the hunt comes up. I’m hoping to be able to in most states pack it out. I’m also having to consider where I can camp in or have to have a campground

Easiest way to get a bear in wv is to search Facebook or google wv bear hunts and find a group of good ol boys who would be willing to take you with dogs. I live in wv, grew up hunting md and the dogs are hands down the easiest. Just be prepared to go hard because the mountains can be steep, full of laurel, green briar and deer ticks. Otherwise you probably doing a ton of scouting in nasty holes and hoping to catch a glimpse. Shots will likely be inside 100 yds. I’ve personally never had an interest in shooting a bear but now you got me thinking hard. Lol

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I bear hunted with dogs for 15 years. I have killed several to dogs. I’m trying to do it with a bow now. Ill use a gun but would prefer a bow. Outside of the topic at hand. I’m working towards taking a bear with a traditional bow from the ground.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea.
Honestly, I don’t see it becoming a reality for someone with my limited skill and free time. Hell, a man has to dream. Right?
Go for it!

With the shit show happening out west (growing anti-NR sentiment and money grab) I’m starting to think my time and money is better spent hunting/traveling through neighboring states.

The more I think about this idea, the more I like it......

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Easiest way to get a bear in wv is to search Facebook or google wv bear hunts and find a group of good ol boys who would be willing to take you with dogs. I live in wv, grew up hunting md and the dogs are hands down the easiest. Just be prepared to go hard because the mountains can be steep, full of laurel, green briar and deer ticks. Otherwise you probably doing a ton of scouting in nasty holes and hoping to catch a glimpse. Shots will likely be inside 100 yds. I’ve personally never had an interest in shooting a bear but now you got me thinking hard. Lol
Once you try it. It’s addictive. Especially if you find someone to cook it right. The mature bucks are more difficult to me

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I like the idea.
Honestly, I don’t see it becoming a reality for someone with my limited skill and free time. Hell, a man has to dream. Right?
Go for it!

With the shit show happening out west (growing anti-NR sentiment and money grab) I’m starting to think my time and money is better spent hunting/traveling through neighboring states.

The more I think about this idea, the more I like it......
It’s actually what got me thinking. The rising cost and anti-NR I’m thinking more at home

To me killing a bear using dogs, isn't even comparable to killing one with a bow or a gun using natural movement patterns. I enjoy hound hunting, especially for coon and coyotes. I have nothing against it as a legal hunting method, I just do not think it compares to other methods of hunting. I consider kills over hounds an accomplishment of the dogs more so than an accomplishment of a hunter.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’m at that point I’m wanting to do it all natural by scouting movement. Feeding, bedding and breeding patterns. Like a big chess game. I’m not even upset if I lose. I do like to put 4 deer in the freezer but I’m really into the process now days

It depends, some they don't need to come out whole, but everything but internal organs needs to come out. So you can cut them up, but need to bring rib cage and everything out to be checked. New Jersey I think you need the carcass whole, Maryland as well.

Need to read the language, it might say everything needs to come out, but no where does it say intact. Just frequently assumed it's whole.

good point. Looking back at the regs i stand corrected. Only says reproductive organs intact for NH. They like to weigh them at the reg stations, so I always assumed they wanted whole (well, dressed).

I’m at that point I’m wanting to do it all natural by scouting movement. Feeding, bedding and breeding patterns. Like a big chess game. I’m not even upset if I lose. I do like to put 4 deer in the freezer but I’m really into the process now days

good luck to you.

Been trying for last 5 years and I’ve seen one bear during season, no shots. Hunting mountain deer is hard enough at ~10-15 deer per sq mile. Black bear in southern apps are at about 0.5-1 bear per sq mile (can provide references). That means assuming similar movement you would “theoretically” see 15 deer for every bear.

Ive hunted entire seasons in the southern apps seeing less than 15 deer.

*now if you find a hot berry patch or a water hole... chances may increase

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
The place I live has .46 bucks per square mile and by far more bears. I’ve already seen three bears scouting this year. Mountain bucks are like ghost here

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
There is an estimated 15,000 bears in North Carolina with 5,000 being in the 24 western counties

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I always considered the Appalachian slam a Whitetail, Hog, Turkey and Bear.
All of the Mtn variety.
I’ve already done that. A long time ago. I am hoping to expand my horizons. I was also looking at how most all slams require traveling to different locations to fulfilling them. Look at the whitetail slam