Application overlap indecision

Brillo

FNG
1) My son and I have applied in Wy Gen with no points. We want to bow hunt. If we are unsuccessful I still want to try elk (first time and an age thing) so Colorado is in view. He does not want to pour time/energy/money into a crowded OTC hunt. We can do crowded hunts in Michigan on deer.
So we will likely buy a point in Wyoming and hope to hunt Wyoming in three years though at 66 my clock is ticking. It seems foolish to me to buy points in Wyoming for a tag that may require 5 points and thus a 5 year wait. I'll be 70 or older.
2) I have identified a unit in Colorado that maybe, just maybe, I can draw with 0 points. What is bugging me is the $100.00 extortion fee to apply that they call a small game or turkey license and other fees. If we miraculously draw Wyoming do I just consider the $100.00 bucks a donation to Colorado and forget it or should I just plan a solo OTC hunt? Also, I am not against picking up my gun.
3) As I am typing I realize that there is another possibility since I am retired. Do both. Hmmm.
Please help me get my thinking right.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
You won’t likely draw Wy general with zero points. It takes 2-3 to draw general elk.

I would apply for Colorado too and hopefully you draw Colorado. If it’s a 0/1 point unit you could potentially hunt it a few times and Wy 1-2 times in the next 5-6 years.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
1) My son and I have applied in Wy Gen with no points. We want to bow hunt. If we are unsuccessful I still want to try elk (first time and an age thing) so Colorado is in view. He does not want to pour time/energy/money into a crowded OTC hunt. We can do crowded hunts in Michigan on deer.
So we will likely buy a point in Wyoming and hope to hunt Wyoming in three years though at 66 my clock is ticking. It seems foolish to me to buy points in Wyoming for a tag that may require 5 points and thus a 5 year wait. I'll be 70 or older.
2) I have identified a unit in Colorado that maybe, just maybe, I can draw with 0 points. What is bugging me is the $100.00 extortion fee to apply that they call a small game or turkey license and other fees. If we miraculously draw Wyoming do I just consider the $100.00 bucks a donation to Colorado and forget it or should I just plan a solo OTC hunt? Also, I am not against picking up my gun.
3) As I am typing I realize that there is another possibility since I am retired. Do both. Hmmm.
Please help me get my thinking right.
If you can afford it, I would do both!

j_volt

WKR
The overlapping dates are tough... One of these years, I am going to accidentally draw everywhere. I will deal with that when it comes ;)
In the regular, Wyoming had a 13.7% chance of drawing a random general tag in 2020. With the increase in the special tag cost, I doubt 13.7% will increase for 2021. It really wasn't a whole lot better in the special either. APPLY FOR BOTH!

HuntNTag

WKR
You won’t draw Wyoming with 0 points so I would count that out.

The reality is that if you want options and chances, you will be donating to the fish and game to run the wildlife game and it’s a good spend regardless in multiple states.

If you are applying in many states, you would be donating for a license in most just to apply and you won’t be hunting in every one unless you have endless time which I hope I would be able to do when I’m retired in your boat :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
If your statistical analysis of the CO draw numbers is correct, you are either hunting that unit this year or next ONLY if you apply this year. A smart guy who didn't draw his target unit would take that small gun license and go hunt grouse in that unit, during the season, and set himself up for success the following year. It is in fact, a hunting license, and not an extortion fee.

Wapiti1

WKR
Without knowing anything about your finances, I would highly suggest guided in CO.

Get a point in MT for later. Skip WY due to the point situation. In MT, like WY, you can hunt archery and rifle on the same tag. So, you can go back if archery doesn't work.

You have no experience and are at a stage of life where gaining that experience is going to be tough. Figure 3 years to get to know a unit well enough for consistent hunting as a DIY hunter. That is really not feasible in WY due to the points required. MT could work every other year. Idaho and Colorado are what is left for every year, although Idaho is getting hard to buy an OTC tag in.

A landowner tag could also get you into better hunting in CO.

Just a few thoughts. I don't want to sound negative, but I think that a sanity check is warranted.

Jeremy

Wolfmann

FNG
I never have to worry about that since I never get drawn. With that being said you can't win if you don't play. Your chances of drawing Wyoming are pretty slim. I'd put in for CO.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll just say this........the draw units I've hunted are just as crowded as the OTC units I've hunted (in some cases more crowded), and that includes draw units that take 5+ points. Whether you're hunting a draw unit or OTC unit, you still have to be able to find spots to get away from everyone else. And if you're applying for a CO unit that you can draw with 0 points, then there's not much difference than an OTC unit. I would apply for as many different tags as you can.

OP
B

Brillo

FNG
So focusing on Colorado please check my conclusions on applying for a LE unit. I pay the app fees and mandatory license upfront which is almost $100.00 non refundable. IF I do not get drawn I can purchase a NR point for $100.00. Therefore a NR point costs close to $200.00. Do I have that right? Is there anyway to just buy a point at $100.00 without applying for a draw?

Wapiti1

WKR
No. For deer, elk, antelope, there is no point fee. That applies to moose, goat and sheep. So, they are into you for $100 or so to apply and get a point.

Montana and WY allow you to buy a point without applying. I think everyone else makes you buy the hunting license to get a point or apply.

Jeremy

horniac

FNG
So focusing on Colorado please check my conclusions on applying for a LE unit. I pay the app fees and mandatory license upfront which is almost $100.00 non refundable. IF I do not get drawn I can purchase a NR point for $100.00. Therefore a NR point costs close to $200.00. Do I have that right? Is there anyway to just buy a point at $100.00 without applying for a draw?
Yes just apply for a point instead of a hunt. It will cost both you and your son the following;

1. $84.96 for qualifying small game license
2. $10.40 for habitat stamp
3. $9.00 for elk application

You need to apply by the application deadline 4/6/21. The hunt code to obtain a preference point is E-P-999-99-P. Since you are buying the qualifying license and stamp you can also add pronghorn and mule deer for $9/ea. After the draw is complete you will end up with one point for each species you applied for (elk, deer, pronghorn). There is no added cost for a point for these three species.

You can also apply for moose, sheep, and mountain goat at an additional $9/application but if you want a preference point for those species it will cost you an additional $100/ea and you need three years worth just to be eligible for a tag...

Horniac

cnelk

WKR
Colorado breaks it down like this for Non Res Elk:

Application Processing - $9 per species
Habitat Stamp - $10.40
Qualifying License [Small Game] - $84.96

Total Application = $104.36

I'd suggest doing your app like this:

1st Choice - Pref Point
2nd Choice - Research a Unit that has tags available in the 2nd Choice

You could get lucky and get both a PP and a tag