Application Strategy

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I am a new western hunter, just started applying in a few states last year. I'm a goHunt member but the entire point and draw system is fairly overwhelming when thinking about trying to build points in 3-5 states and keeping up with it all.

Is there some reputable service or good educational material for how to build a lifelong strategy? My goal isn't necessarily trophy animals, but a strategy that ensures I can get a decent quality hunt and overall experience every year by building 2-4 points in several states and rotating between them every year for different kinds of hunts?

I would sincerely appreciate the help from anyone who takes the time to offer it. I'll be sure to pay it forward!

Tmac

WKR
I’d think goHunt would have info on this. But more info would be needed to help, for example, are you after just one species? Multiple species? What state do you live in? Etc…. There are a number of articles on developing such a strategy out there. I’ve seen them in Eastmans, Huntinfool, Outdoorlife and the like.

In your case, let’s assume 4 states, one species, with a goal for one hunt per year. One way to do it is to pick one state where I can hunt OTC and do so for 3 years while building points in states 2, 3, 4. Then I begin applying in states 2, 3, 4 in 3 ish point units, one state per year, while building points in the others and hunt the general if I don’t draw. By year 4, with the points, I have a nice rotation going. Making sure to hunt my general at least every 3-4 ish years to stay current. I’d start by looking at ID, MT, WY and CO. Depending where you live, OR, WA, NM, the Dakotas, and others could be viable too.

Myself, I keep a 3 ish state rotation where I can hunt 2 states/species a year most years, mostly meat/fun hunts. Then another 5-7 ish where I may pursue points, so called “top units” or OIL species. In most of these states, I’m applying for or building points for multiple species. Usually end up with 2-5 hunts. Lots of ways to go, limited only by $ and your imagination. I really use preference points to help with planning, as they can almost guarantee a result, bonus points not so much. Good luck!

rm90

Lil-Rokslider
You should of joined the meeting ONyx had today describing " onX Hunt Masterclass with Huntin' Fool - How to Build Your Western Hunting Strategy" It was informative over 300+ people at one point. They will be providing the live link to people who attended.
If you PM and they send it out i can provide this to you. I am not sure if you need to have Onyx.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I am a new western hunter, just started applying in a few states last year. I'm a goHunt member but the entire point and draw system is fairly overwhelming when thinking about trying to build points in 3-5 states and keeping up with it all.

Is there some reputable service or good educational material for how to build a lifelong strategy? My goal isn't necessarily trophy animals, but a strategy that ensures I can get a decent quality hunt and overall experience every year by building 2-4 points in several states and rotating between them every year for different kinds of hunts?

I would sincerely appreciate the help from anyone who takes the time to offer it. I'll be sure to pay it forward!
Some people don like these videos but some value in their watch

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I’d think goHunt would have info on this. But more info would be needed to help, for example, are you after just one species? Multiple species? What state do you live in? Etc…. There are a number of articles on developing such a strategy out there. I’ve seen them in Eastmans, Huntinfool, Outdoorlife and the like.

In your case, let’s assume 4 states, one species, with a goal for one hunt per year. One way to do it is to pick one state where I can hunt OTC and do so for 3 years while building points in states 2, 3, 4. Then I begin applying in states 2, 3, 4 in 3 ish point units, one state per year, while building points in the others and hunt the general if I don’t draw. By year 4, with the points, I have a nice rotation going. Making sure to hunt my general at least every 3-4 ish years to stay current. I’d start by looking at ID, MT, WY and CO. Depending where you live, OR, WA, NM, the Dakotas, and others could be viable too.

Myself, I keep a 3 ish state rotation where I can hunt 2 states/species a year most years, mostly meat/fun hunts. Then another 5-7 ish where I may pursue points, so called “top units” or OIL species. In most of these states, I’m applying for or building points for multiple species. Usually end up with 2-5 hunts. Lots of ways to go, limited only by $ and your imagination. I really use preference points to help with planning, as they can almost guarantee a result, bonus points not so much. Good luck!
Thanks so much for taking time to write this! This is exactly type of info I'm looking for, but I have to digest it and I'm sure I'll have questions.

To answer your questions. I am in TN and plan on driving. So Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, NM are all ideal. Idaho and Montana not out of the question though. As far as species, I am interested in Elk and Mule Deer primarily, would not be opposed to Antelope every now and then just to get out there.

I had been thinking to start buying WY points to try and get a general tag ever 2-3 years, NM random draw every year, Build 2-3 CO points and use CO OTC as my backup every year (I went there for first time last year, and know I'll probably need to keep going a few more years). If I did those 2 states, then what else would you recommend? I guess I have the different species as options too in each of those 3 states.

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
You should of joined the meeting ONyx had today describing " onX Hunt Masterclass with Huntin' Fool - How to Build Your Western Hunting Strategy" It was informative over 300+ people at one point. They will be providing the live link to people who attended.
If you PM and they send it out i can provide this to you. I am not sure if you need to have Onyx.
I actually had it on in my earbuds while doing other stuff, that is what got me thinking about this. I have spent the last year pouring over goHunt and forums and stuff and still feel like I am still just shooting in the dark a little bit. The idea of a somewhat repeatable plan I can execute on every year and get in a pattern seemed really appealing to me and never thought of it that way.

Tmac

WKR
Thanks so much for taking time to write this! This is exactly type of info I'm looking for, but I have to digest it and I'm sure I'll have questions.

To answer your questions. I am in TN and plan on driving. So Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, NM are all ideal. Idaho and Montana not out of the question though. As far as species, I am interested in Elk and Mule Deer primarily, would not be opposed to Antelope every now and then just to get out there.

I had been thinking to start buying WY points to try and get a general tag ever 2-3 years, NM random draw every year, Build 2-3 CO points and use CO OTC as my backup every year (I went there for first time last year, and know I'll probably need to keep going a few more years). If I did those 2 states, then what else would you recommend? I guess I have the different species as options too in each of those 3 states.
You have the makings of a strategy right there. UT, WY, and CO all offer points of various types. NM has great hunting options too. All 4 have Elk, Deer and Pronghorn. Just a matter of picking your poison.

My bias is to learn areas well and work accordingly for the hunting goal I have there, meat vs horns. I try to hunt those areas fairly regularly. Not so much to chase top units or units I can hunt only once every 10-20 years, unless I plan to go guided. But I do have several top unit targets in 4 or 5 states. You can bet those top unit hunts will be for species I know well in terrain similar to what I am used to hunting or with a guide.

I have learned I like and am more successful for some species is some terrain types. For example, for some reason I find badlands/high desert terrain for mule deer to be very enjoyable and successful for me. I’ve taken all but one of my biggest bucks size wise in that terrain. So I tend to focus there for MD now. But my biggest MD was a high country buck, go figure. I hunt elk for groceries, rarely for horns, etc……

You will find your niches as you go. Enjoy the process, try new things & places.

Billinsd

WKR

Do you know how to use Excel? This can be as basic or as complicated as you want.

Basic approach:
First problem is you need 3-5 points in a state to start your streak of quality hunts so you need to find something to do until you can build up those points. Go on goHunt or the free harvest statistics and start looking for the best results for OTC - 3 points. If you're a smart cookie you can create a formula for a weighted "hunt score" based on public land %, harvest success rate, totsl number of hunters, elevation change, etc. Find 2 states to bounce back and forth for 2-3 years as you build your initial point bank in as many states as you can. At the end of those 3 years each year look at all of your states and see which one looks the best for the point count you have. If you do this continually in 4-5 states that's a minimum 3pt hunt every year. Basic math.

Complicated:
I scrape social media for unit/species/state/etc mentions and have a machine learning model for predicting point creep...you can go really far with this stuff.