Applying aqua seal to boot rand before wearing?

bobr1

WKR
Hey all,

So I went around and tried on a bunch of different boots and the ones that fit best and felt the most comfortable were the crispi's (of course..$$$$). I was going to wait until black friday or some sale to get them but was able to get the Crispi Nevadas at a local place on sale for $260 so I went ahead and bought them. Anyway, the people at the store recommended using aqua seal on the seam where the leather and rand meet and then using nixwax after it cures on the leather to protect it. I've researched on here a lot before getting the boots and never saw aqua seal mentioned on here for that purpose. I know there are split camps on using nix wax, obenhaufs and sno seal as well. Supposedly the nix wax is "safer" since it won't effect the rand but seems to not work that well. I know some of the other waxs can cause issues with the rand and possible breathability issues. However, I used obenhaufs on a pair of my old danners recently and have been impressed with it so far. So, I just want to see what you all think before I jump into doing anything to them.

Thanks,

Bob

Regarding using Aqua Seal, I say don’t bother. If the rand separates after you waterproof them (with whatever quality product you decide to use), then that’s a boot/warrantee issue and I would return them for a full refund. I’ve only had limited experience, over the last 10 years or so, with quality mountaineering boots and IMO the rand should never separate on a new pair of boots, period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chindits

WKR
I had rand separation on my crispi boots. My understanding is that I was lucky it was within a year of purchase, otherwise no warranty. I still had to pay for shipping it to their boot doctor.

I personally would not use any boot treatment other than the brand name made by the boot company. I used Danner Waterprooofing gel on my Danners, Kenetrek boot wax on my Kenetreks, and Crispi waterproofing cream on my Crispi Hunter GTX. If you use anything else, the boot company might not honor the warranty. I have read in numerous places that Obenaufs dissolves the glue that holds the rand to the rubber. I haven't tried it, but why take the chance? The Crispi boot cream works really well, and is safe for their boots.

I personally would not use any boot treatment other than the brand name made by the boot company. I used Danner Waterprooofing gel on my Danners, Kenetrek boot wax on my Kenetreks, and Crispi waterproofing cream on my Crispi Hunter GTX. If you use anything else, the boot company might not honor the warranty. I have read in numerous places that Obenaufs dissolves the glue that holds the rand to the rubber. I haven't tried it, but why take the chance? The Crispi boot cream works really well, and is safe for their boots.

I’ve never tried the Obenaufs, so I can’t speak to that, but I’ve used Nixwax, Granger’s, and Snoseal to my Scarpa’s over the last 8 years, waterproofing them at least once a year whether they needed it or not, and there is absolutely no sign of the rand pealing away.
ce629e30180cc430ba0220af75c39b75.jpg

8527e1bed4ad73813533de20e2ad7e3a.jpg

2f29fb02f04a8bf16c8ff8a12e05627b.jpg

I only have one year on these La Sportiva’s, but I’ve waterproofed them twice with no issues.
8cdb15dd39960c02c8f7e5711a9dcaf1.jpg

f37d0ef2bab949dd6fbb260946c893f8.jpg

df9ee2e416aa75f5f090068d8d495560.jpg

If I bought a boot and had the rand peel away because I waterproofed them, I don’t believe I’d ever buy that boot again. That is, after I returned them to REI for a full refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk