Applying to different states as non resident?

So this will be my first year... when applying for tags in different states, do you have to have a license in each state that you apply to prior to applying? Also, when you apply for each tag do you get charged then, and then refunded? Or do you get charged automatically once you get drawn? If you get drawn for multiple states somehow, can you decline the tag by a certain time to get a refund?
Thanks!

colonel00

WKR
Best advice is to do a lot of reading. My buddy subscribes to Huntin Fool I think it is when we are looking for tags. Many states have preference points so you'll need to build up points to get a shot at the better units.

To answer part of your question, some states like Wyoming will hold your money for months. I believe the deadline for elk entries is the end of January but they don't do the draw until like May. Also, this will lead into other issues as you need to understand when the draws actually are and when the entry periods are.

1. The only state I am aware of that you are not required to buy a license before applying for a tag is WY. Big game tags and licenses in WY are a package deal.
2. Some states charge the full price of the license at the time of application, others hit your CC at the time of the draw. WY (as stated above) takes full payment at application, but is rumored to be changing that system soon if they haven’t already. AZ charges the application fee initially, and then you will be charged if drawn later.
3. So far I am not aware of any states that will refund your tag because you were drawn in a different state. That being said, if you are wanting to hunt as a non resident every year and work towards some tough to draw hunts, I believe most states offer a preference/bonus point only option. This way you can draw some better odds units while building up points in another state. Word of warning, that route can get very expensive quickly.

Randy Newberg has a pretty decent YouTube talk show about the fundamentals to applying for the triad of big game states along with deadlines.

Every state is different as mentioned. What I havent seen mentioned yet is some states will give you a refund of the license and tag but then you dont receive a bonus point.

Thomas, if it were me, I would hold on to the CO OTC option as a backup plan. There are plenty of units with reasonable draw odds in various states. Find one of these units through researching the game and fish websites and apply. Even 10% odds means there’s a reasonable chance. If you don’t draw you’ll be awarded your preference point and then you can go get the OTC tag. There is plenty of time between draw results and the opening of season to pick up the OTC tag.

OP
T
Does anyone use or recommend signing up for go hunt to make this process easier and more successful?

rbljack

WKR
I think with no points and just starting out....watching the randy Newberg videos will be most beneficial. Here is the biggest thing about that advice though.....each year some things will change If you start watching videos he has from a previous year about a particular state, it may or may not be accurate for the current year. The elktalk podcast is another source of info (with randy Newberg and cory Jacobson). They are doing a show on each western state as the deadlines approach. Wy is the next deadline I believe, 31 Jan. Spend lots of time because each state is different. I just signed up for the insider myself last weekend trying to learn the ins and outs of these non resident application processes. good luck !

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone use or recommend signing up for go hunt to make this process easier and more successful?
Yes. Sign up for Go Hunt, Huntin Fool, Eastmans, or any of the others. By far the easiest way to figure out the different states' regulations and draw processes. You'll get much more detailed and accurate info there rather than here.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
You have to ask yourself, do I want to hunt or do I want to hunt a better odds unit? Is it important to hunt this year, or could it wait a few more years? How much can I swing?

You can go OTC and buy points in other states. Hunting out of state isn't cheap, but at the same time can really be a bargain.

Primetime

FNG
Check into getting a go hunt membership or else listen to the elk talk podcasts, also on YouTube elk 101 has some great information on this

I'm a total rookie too. First year looking at Western hunting coming from the Midwest. Here's what I've done so far and plan is. I watched a lot of Randy Newberg and Elk101 YouTube videos. Binge listened to Randy's and Rokslide podcast and a few others. After getting that base knowledge I bought a GoHunt membership and the University Elk course. Money well spent in my mind and worth more than what they charge.

Based on everything I've heard and my plans (not looking for trophy's, I'm looking for solid opportunity at some meat and just getting into the mountains)- I decided to apply this year (as my first year applying) for a general Wyoming tag with archery option since I hunt both rifle and bow. If I don't draw I plan on looking at OTC Colorado and possibly Montana. I also plan on looking into Idaho in the future for draw as my father in law has a friend who lives out there and can get boots on the ground and scout - which is hard to do fur me being in the Midwest with limited time off.

I plan on focusing on 4 states for now (Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, and Montana) because they appeal to me and my goals and the hope is, long term, to be able to draw something in one of these units every year and if I don't, I have some OTC options where I'm somewhat familiar with the units.

Again, I'm a newbie, I'm no expert, but that's what I'm doing. If I'm crazy or off in any of my thought process feel free to correct me.

Most important thing, in my mind, is don't overthink it. Paralysis by over analysis isn't going to get you anywhere vs just picking something and getting out there and falling flat in your face but learning a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk