*Approach* to a day pack hunt?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Lots of great threads on here about what specific day pack to consider, but I'm hoping this differs enough to merit some responses.

Last year I spent an inordinate amount of time researching what to take on a DIY 10 day elk hunt in CO. (It was awesome - I live for that stuff.) This year we are doing a semi-guided hunt in Idaho (meaning we will be on private land, sleeping in a trailer with power and a kitchen). So much of the planning, and a good bit of my gear list, from last year is out the window. We will be sleeping in the trailer each night, and if we can pin down an eBike rental, we will be pretty mobile.

First question, what are the bare essentials you would recommend I include in a pack taking into consideration that I will (or at least should) have a pretty easy time getting back to the camp? Apart from the obvious (bow and glass), I'm thinking kill kit, water, emergency/possibles, and maybe some food, but leave trekking poles (as an example) back at the camp (to get later, if needed).

Second, yes - the "what day pack" to use? I have a MR Metcalf, as well as a Pintler. I like the idea of having the frame and one of those packs for hauling meat. I've thought about taking both - leaving the Metcalf at camp and possibly getting it for round two of a meat hike, and using the Pintler on the frame as a day pack. But the PIntler is pretty big for a daypack, and maybe the Metcalf isn't needed at all.

By way of background - I always take too much stuff. By the end of every hunt (even on day 7 of going to the deer stand), I'm doing whatever I can to avoid carrying anything, at least that won't fit in my pockets. I will also be with two other guys, so the need for emergency stuff is perhaps not as acute as it would be if we were deeper in the backcountry.

Thanks in advance!

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
What’s the farthest walk you’ll get from the camp site?

Great question - and I don't know. If we are able to get the eBikes, then I think probably minimal. The entire property is under 7000 acres, and the elevation changes are pretty moderate.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
IMO- the Pintler will be perfect for what you’re describing. I think it’s the perfect size and has the perfect functionality for a day pack.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
IMO- the Pintler will be perfect for what you’re describing. I think it’s the perfect size and has the perfect functionality for a day pack.
Awesome - thank you! And I wouldn't have (get) to do research and buy another bag!