Apps or Maps for water sources?

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying a new Wilderness Area in Northern California that I've never hunted before. I'm pouring over maps looking for potential water sources, but not having much luck. I know a lot of PCT hikers use Guthooks, but I won't be near the PCT and can't seem to find any other app that may work. I've hunted near there, but not this particular area.

Any reliable maps or apps to find water sources on? I 'think' most of the drainage's, especially lower on the mountain, will have water, but is there any reliable resource to research to find out current conditions online?

I hate to be tied to higher lake or a lower creek drainage, but I also don't want to pack 3 days of water in.

Thanks

Last edited:

Warmsy

WKR
Onx maps is pretty good at marking springs... gushers and seeps alike. The USGS topo maps indicate seasonal streams with a dashed line. I'm in northern California, also, and anything with a dashed line is dried up this time of year.

Onx maps is pretty good at marking springs... gushers and seeps alike. The USGS topo maps indicate seasonal streams with a dashed line. I'm in northern California, also, and anything with a dashed line is dried up this time of year.
Yup, OnX and the USGS Topos are the most helpful. You can download the Avenza App and then download the free topos in PDF form which work pretty darn well in the back country with just the gps service of your phone.
I use all of those and google earth when I’m exploring new areas up here in Nor Cal.

OP
mireland62887

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider

I use Basemap but they have the same layer. I just haven't found these trustworthy. Marked springs are usually good. I think I have a good game plan, but trekking off into new areas is exciting, but the worry about water sucks, especially in August.

Warmsy

WKR
I use Basemap but they have the same layer. I just haven't found these trustworthy. Marked springs are usually good. I think I have a good game plan, but trekking off into new areas is exciting, but the worry about water sucks, especially in August.

I hear ya.

What area are you going to? I've spent quite some time in the mendo national forest, from the yola bollies down to black Butte &east, and north and south of highway 20 as far east as hwy 16. In these areas I have never failed to find water. The old ranch parts are getting close to dried up...

OP
mireland62887

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
I hear ya.

What area are you going to? I've spent quite some time in the mendo national forest, from the yola bollies down to black Butte &east, and north and south of highway 20 as far east as hwy 16. In these areas I have never failed to find water. The old ranch parts are getting close to dried up...
PM'd you