Appytrails mark 5 tent rookie review

huntndad

FNG
I've been planning on purchasing this tent for a while, just haven't pulled the trigger. I think the Sea to Summit Nano mosquito net at 2.9 oz and a piece of tyvek, along with the use of trekking poles, would make this a nice light setup.

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
I saw those online. I found a store in reno that has everythig and i mean everything. I am going to rwinforce the velcro but run velcro for a season. I like leaving the doors open at night so i am going to give them a season

jherald

WKR
I'm going to add lightweight zippers to every opening and lightweight nylon web loops in place of the grommets and add a few extra guy out tabs and stake out points. Then I'm going to reinforce all the extra stake loops/guy points with 70 denier rip-stop nylon (similar to tents/downs jackets material) and then seam seal all the new seams. Probably looking at adding roughly 6 ounces to the whole package. CaseyU post your pics when you get your mods done. I'll do the same with mine but I'm a few months out on getting mine done.

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Sounds good j if your getting real crazy there is plenty of room for a stove jack haha

Slim Jim

WKR
I've always wanted to try a tarp before I go and buy a megatarp. I might just have to try this at that price. I've lost a lot more than $120 on gear that I've upgraded in the past so what the hell, why not try it. Keep up the reviews you guys that have them. I'll probably get it before I go scouting this summer unless they don't hold up for those of you that have one. Pretty cool Casey, thanks

jherald

WKR
I got the tent in the mail yesterday, got to look it over really good. I'll post some photos and my take on it.

jherald

WKR
So my take on this tent, in areas where more often than not, mild weather will be encountered, I believe it will be a great tent. In areas where serious weather will be encountered more often than not, I don't believe it will serve your purpose. Such as Alaska, I would not buy this tent for any serious mountain hunt or any serious walking trip here in Alaska. You would be daring trouble to come find you if the weather kicked up.

I'm not afraid to admit when something wasn't quite as good as I thought it out to be, so I'm going to send this back for a refund. I always think of "Buy once, Cry once". I just had too high of hopes for it. Now, again, don't get me wrong, in an area of the country where weather tends to be more mild than bad, it would be great. What did I expect for a 120 dollar tarp tent? Well, for 120 mass produced tent I think it could be a little better, even for 120 dollars, being as it doesn't have any kind of inner tent body. I'm going to save my DIY money for a tipi/pyramid tent sewn up with sil-nylon that I'm going to build from the ground up later.

The seams aren't too bad, but I did not see any real improvements in the grommets, from what was explained to me, over the older versions of this tent. See the photo. A small piece of nylon strapping was placed into the grommet. These should not be grommets, they should be strap loops sewn in with a reinforced patch.

The peak of the tent is the same style of grommet with a plastic reinforcement. This could work, but it needs to be made a little tougher. See photo.

The pole, it is tapered, don't know why it makes no sense. From the ground up it is 14mm then in the mid-section of the pole there is a taper to 10mm, very bad idea. I can see where it will become the weak link in a strong wind and bend/break the pole at the taper junction. See photo.

The weight of the tent is good, it's light, but being light does not mean it can't be stronger. Strap loops for the stake out points, a few guy out points on side, beef up the peak where the top of the pole locks in and have a straight 14mm, or even 20mm pole versus the tapered pole. With the kind of cost of production in China, I believe for another 20 or 30 bucks added to the retail price, it could be a really decent tarp tent.

Again, I'm not trying to give a rip on the company, it's just an opinion of the tent for worse than mild weather. From getting to see it up close, without setting it up outside, I can tell you that, the way it is designed now, I wouldn't buy it again.

Would have taken more photos, but work has got me busy and it's going back in the mail today.

Peak.jpgStake Grommet.jpgTapered Pole.jpg

Last edited:

jherald

WKR
Oh and zippers too, versus velcro. The small tent they make has zippers but they went with velcro with this one? Doesn't makes sense. DIY money better saved for building my own from ground up.

huntndad

FNG
After going back and forth between this and the MountainSmith shelter, I finally decided on the Appy Trails due to its larger size. I set the tent up yesterday, and now I'm not sure I made the right choice.
The interior space in the foot area is very small. The peak in this area is very low, and the sides ange out almost horizontally. I'm not sure if two adults could keep their sleeping bags from touching the tent, especially with any wind or rain.
The center pole is a joke. I'm not sure if mine is flawed, but it flexes like a fishing rod, and none of the secitons fit together very well. This will not be a problem, however, since I plan on using trekking poles.
I'm not in love with the velcro door, but it might be fine. The tent could use some more guy out points. The stakes, cord and tensioners need replaced.

With all of that, I think I'm going to keep it! I think some simple modificaiton can improve this tent dramatically. My first concern is getting more space/height in the foot area. Has anyone done any modifications to this tent yet? I'd rather steal your ideas than come up with my own.