Appytrails mark 5 tent rookie review

CaseyU

WKR
Hey guys i just wanted to give you guys a little info on this tent for those wondering or saving some pennys for other gear or just want to try something new.
First let me tell you i am no tent expert i have slept plenty of nights in the middle of nowhere with many different things (bivys), heavy tents, and an emergency blanket (hopefully never again) but i had to try it. Haha. Well i purchased this tent a couple weeks ago and only slept one night in it in the back yard but left it set up for about a week in some serious wind and it never budged. The tent weighs in at 1#11oz claimed by manufacture (my scale fell off counter so no exact numbers) eight stakes and stuff sack about 4 oz and the center pole weighs in at a monster 11 oz. With the provided materials it is still well under three pounds. The center pole included has the top piece that can be seperated and used as a trek pole extstender taking 8oz off the top real quick. I bought this tent because i wanted a very light palace big enough for two. It is dryer than a bone in my neck of the woods so i do not have to worry much about condensation or a heavy rain. So no vouching there. I am going to put this tent throuh the ringer this season. The owner of the company was a great communicator and answered all of my questions fast. Very nice guy and stands behind his product 100%. For the price weight and size it is worth a shot. Here are a couple pics.
ezunyjyq.jpg
e4azazag.jpg
azuquze2.jpg

Big vent at feet and another at the top point of peak

jherald

WKR
Get much spin-drift in it? Look's like a fairly solid pole. How many guy out points?

jherald

WKR
A little google research shows the tent uses metal grommets which aren't reinforced very well at the stake out points and shown to tear out. Any signs of wear on that? Looks like an awesome tent but a few small minor details go wrong on your hunt and your in bad shape if its the only tent you have.

Not trying to knock the tent, I really like that design. I'm just a stickler for fine details and durability.

Nice review. Im looking for something and my search criteria seems very similar to yours. Hope you update your review when you get some more experience with it. $120 is the price tag?

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Yes that is the price tag and to fix the grommett issue i put shock cord on the grommets instead of putting the stake through it to prevent sharp strains. There are 8 points and you can also use the two door holder as guy points. I here you j as am i a stickler on details but i am damn good with thinking outside the box and for a 120 bucks starting point and i decide to add some reinforcements, and guy points i know this tent is going to work for me

jherald

WKR
I called the owner of the company out of curiosity. He explained that the first versions had issues with the metal grommets where the the stakes are attached but it has since been improved over the first versions, still with metal grommets. He also explained to me he went with metal grommets versus nylon web loops to keep the tent as close to the ground as possible to eliminate spin-drift inside the tent; the nylon web loops created a "loose" edge where the tent made contact with the ground and did not allow for enough tension to keep it taught to the ground.

It looks like a nice tent to have as a spike camp/emergency back-up tent. They seem to have a good warranty/guarantee as well, ten day return guarantee and one year warranty period.

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Yes sir. No question 1 year warranty. Good guy. i am going on plenty of scouting and fishing trips with his before its thrown into my system but i can tell a couple refinements (personal pref. And tgis thing is going to rock

jherald

WKR
Well I bought one for myself, going to try it out on some May/June scouting's. We'll see how it goes. I am with you, going to add some shock cord to the stake and guy out points. I like the idea of reinforced nylon web loops for stake and guy out points. I may have a nice DIY project going here soon.

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
A lot of people would be very happy with it as is. But i am with you j i already made two bug nests for it. Only for my mountain fishing trips around here. These skeeters are crazy haha

jherald

WKR
This website shows exactly what i am looking at doing, adding reinforced nylon web loops. The weight added is negligible in difference with a few strips of nylon and the reinforcement patches of tarp tent material and seam sealer I'd be using. The website explains on building an entire tarp tent yourself, not a DIY prject I am ready to handle just yet. I'll settle for adding the loops I want to the appy trails tent and call it good. http://www.tarptent.com/projects/tarpdesign.html

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Filth i did not take a measurement. I only put a floor under my pad and a little extra to take the boots off but all my friends i hunt with do the same so its no issue. This tent will fit three and gear no problem setting it up with trek and extneder
But if you would like i will measure it tommorrow for you

Last edited:

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting I am interested on the two of your reviews during scouting. For you floorless guys do you worry about your down bags getting wet or do youput the bag in a bivy?

Last edited:
OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
If i use a bivy i usually dont have a cover. I have been very happy with just a little tyvek under the sleeping pad and im good

jherald

WKR
I always use a thermarest or some kind of ground pad. Never had any issues. I was looking at eureka floor saver and cutting it to fit, its a good bombproof flooring.

jherald

WKR
One mod i can see is adding industrial velcro to the closures where there is existing velcro. Or lightweight zippers.