Aquamira

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
i have been experimenting with water filtration/purification. I'm trying to prepare for an october hunt in Colorado. i have used water from several creeks, ponds, ditches, etc. Is there any reason to not solely use aquamira drops as my water purification and just filter water going into my container with a bandana? the taste and slight discoloration doesn't bother me other than giving me terrible gas.

if i did do this i would at least bring a life straw or something as a backup. i'm new to all this so any info is helpful. thank y'all

ahlgringo

WKR
exactly what I do, I usually have a steripen with me as well. I will treat the water in my dromedary with aquamira, then just use the steripen for on the go nalgene fill ups. Never had any issues

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
would i be okay using a life straw as my secondary? or would you go with something like a steripen or gravity filter? i was thinking the price point of a lifestraw vs other options is appealing.

I'd say the lifestraw would work fine as a secondary. As ahlgringo said - I use a steripen while moving and then I have aquamira drops to treat a larger 4L water bag for back at camp. The benefit of the steripen is you can fill up your bottle - and get moving again. With the lifestraw - I envision you just sitting by the creek for 10 minutes with your face in it. Guess you could always fill up your bottle and then just drink from that through the straw as well.

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
I go Sawyer mini for on the go and Aqua-Mira for bigger amounts of camp water.
I’ll do just Aqua-Mira sometimes too, it’s a nice reason to stop and rest for a few minutes while the drops are in the cap workin. Once I dump them in my nalgene im back at it..

You can use the lifestraw with your water bottle on the go, but you have some work of drinking with it, and you are carrying dirty water. The Sawyer Mini gives you the option of carrying dirty water and filtering as you need, or carrying clean water. You can also use it as a lifestraw if you prefer. Price point is around $20, so probably pretty similar to the lifestraw.

TnCo

FNG
I carry a steripen and aquamira, I have my buddy carry a pump. always ready for whatever the mountain throws at us. never know what our water is gonna be like up there.