AR-10 Hunting Rifle Recommendations?

Rock4

FNG
I am in the market for an AR-10. I just sold my DDM4 V7 to fund an AR-10 that I will use for target shooting and hunting and of course just to have a cool rifle. Preferably something with a longer barrel in either .308 or 6.5CM - I am open to either, feel free to persuade me. I have never owned an AR-10 but am comfortable with the AR platform due to owning a couple different AR-15. For what its worth, I already have a Tikka T3x for a lighter weight bolt action. I just want something different/unique/accurate/fun to shoot. I would use It for deer/elk/etc. And before you say It, I know the bolt action is much lighter and better for a pack rifle. If I was on any deep hike-in hunts I would probably just bring the Tikka. Budget is anywhere up to $4500ish.

So far I was interested in a few different brands/models...
- Seekins SP10 (hard to get - 6+ month wait from the manufacturer)
- Christensen CA-10 DMR
- LWRC R3PR MKII (Found one under MSRP)
- DRD Tactical Paratus
- Nemo XO
- VSeven?
- JP?
- Noveske Gen III 6.5 Creedmoor?
- Wilson Combat?
- POF Revolution?
- Others?

Last edited:

CO-AJ

WKR
Hands down Primary Weapons System (PWS), long stroke piston rather than DI, can be chambered in either 6.5 or .308. Completely awesome gun, I own one in .308 and one in 5.56. Piston makes it a bit pricier and just a bit heavier, but damn it shoots like a dream and stays clean. Well within your 4,500 budget and then you can drop a quality optic on top.

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the Christensen CA-10 DMR, shoots great, sub moa with factory ammo. Have taken a couple antelope and deer with it. Fun rifle, but as others have said, it's quite heavy.

Larue. There will be a wait, but it is worth it. I have a PredatOBR 7.62 with 18" barrel and love it.

Do you happen to know how long the wait for a Larue is? I am wanting a UU kit and I cannot find the wait time.
My Brother-In-Law ordered one a few months ago and it took about 8 weeks. He got his lower that he added to the order in a week though.

McD18

FNG
LaRue UU kit is probably the most bang for your buck., many options for caliber and barrel length and their triggers are awesome. But, order now if you want any hope to have it in hand for the upcoming season.

LMT, within your budget but known for being quite heavy. Also difficult to find these days.

KAC - Expensive, but reliable, and I've found it to be quite accurate and easy to shoot. You could probably pick up a 20" 308 second hand and pair it with an LMT AR-10 lower and meet your budget. I'm sure I'll get some hate for this one.

Unless you get the POF Revolution, they're all gonna be heavy. I bet Q LLC will come out with a light weight big block gas gun but who knows when and how much that'll cost.

I hunt with an AR-15 all the time... it's awesome. 6.5 grendel and 300 blk are great deer cartridges.

I wanted an AR-10 a few years back, but they were expensive to make light. My first choice would be a KAC SR-25. 2A armament makes components for a light rifle but too expensive for my tastes and budget. Then I was introduced to the 6.5 Grendel and it fit my style of hunting almost perfect.

STL

FNG
I have a Daniel Defense DD5 that I like a lot. Very well built and solid components, like a cold hammer forged barrel and Geissele trigger.

JonNBama

FNG
Same decision I'm trying to make. I want an AR-10 but just not sure which route to take yet..

4ester

WKR
For anything your walking very far your gonna hate carrying that AR-10. Even for coyotes (but I’d build in in 6mm Creed, suppressed).

But I’m not here to talk a guy out of buying a new gun. I’d look at GA Precision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inked001

FNG
I second a look at Aero Precision, may not be what some would consider top tier. However in my experience they have been very reliable.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I know OP spec'd an AR, but of all my AR-10 size guns, my favorite is the Scar 17. Shoots super soft, lighter than my Armalite's, runs clean and cool. If I could only pick one gun for a do-all hunting / SHTF / self defense / fun, it would be the Scar 17 easy. Many here will not agree...

PS I own the FH Scar 20 as well, and would still take the 17 if I had to pick

chefcreed

FNG
Les Baer made some amazing AR’s for a bit including, AR10’s. I had one in .264 LBC(6.5 Grendel). It was an amazing rifle and regret selling it. They come up on the usual auction sites.

I have an AR-10 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Bear Creek Arsenal side charge upper and an Aero Precision lower. What a great combo.

Could be for sale too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk