AR-10 or Bolt Action?

I'm looking into getting my first rifle. I want to get an AR sometime soon and a rifle to hunt with so I figured id just look into getting an AR-10. does anyone have any recommendations or preference on one or the other? I was looking into 6.5 Creedmoor for caliber. I have read some stuff about ar-10's being less accurate than a bolt action, is this still true? is the weight of an ar-10 going to be a pain? I plan to use it for deer and some predator hunting. I was also recommended a AR in 300 Blackout.
i was looking into building a AR-10 with a 20 inch barrel

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Accuracy discussion aside...the AR10 is a great platform but from a weight standpoint better off with a bolt action especially with a 20" barrel for hunting only application. I have few they might make it to blind for a pig hunt, semi is nice when a sounder comes in, but other than that they don't see much hunting. 18" bolt action 308 is my go to for local hunting. YMMV

Superdoo

WKR
What's your total spend on the AR platform that your putting together?

MThuntr

WKR
With the current state of affairs in the gun world right now I'd say bolt gun over AR10. The price of ARs and components (if you can get what you want) in general is ridiculous. Weight won't be an issue with an AR10 if you are prepared to carry it around. As mentioned above unless a big group of pigs or coyotes comes cruising up a bolt gun is all you need. A whole host of cartridges would work and unless you plan on send rounds across the county a 308 offers a ton of options from super light bullets to heavy. That being said for deer and predators your choice of a 6.5 would be perfect also.

An AR15 with a 300blk would be a lot of fun especially suppressed but again good luck getting parts.

Gorp2007

WKR
I'd get an inexpensive 308 bolt gun like a Ruger American (or spend a little more an get a TIkka) and an AR-15 or AR-10 lower if you can find one, then build out the AR as funds become available and you have a better idea of what you want to build. To build an AR-10 that has the same accuracy as a Ruger American you're probably going to spend north of $1000 and end up with a rifle that's a lot heavier than the bolt gun.

You can find the Ruger American Predators in 6.5 or 308 for mid $400s and if you have some decent small gun shops around you can get an AR-15 lower for ~$100 and an AR-10 lower for a little more. Once you own the lower you own the "firearm" part of the rifle, so you have more flexibility down the road to order the rest of the parts and have them delivered straight to your door.

WCB

WKR
Buy something like the Ruger American. Save a few hundred dollars for a scope and ammo.

BangNasty

FNG
I would get a bolt from a reputable maker first. An AR10 will cost you quite a bit more to make as accurate as a standard bolt action. i was in this same situation and glad i got the bolt first.

I agree with mthuntr, right now anything AR or related to is hard to get and more expensive. I would look for a bolt action. Current state of affairs aside, I several bolt actions and an ar-10. I built the ar-10 myself. I have hunted with both too, and would still recommend a bolt. A bolt is more reliable, lighter and in general more accurate and cheaper. I have gotten good sub moa out my ar-10 but it is definitely more picky, and took a lot of load development. But I would say the main reason is the weight, mine isn’t anything excessive and weighs around 11.5 lbs. The 6.5 and 6 creedmoor and 308 are all great rounds for what your wanting to do. The 300 blackout is pretty under powered and wasn’t designed for accuracy or hunting, it was designed for close quarters combat. If your dead set on an ar-10 I would highly recommend Aero Precision.

wyosteve

WKR
I'll add my .02. I've always had/used bolt guns. 3 years ago I decided to add an AR-10 to use for pigs so I could have quicker follow up shots. It is just as accurate as my bolt guns. BUT, I hate the thing! It's absurdly heavy in my opinion if you have to carry it and It feels extremely awkward to me due to its design. So, it's going to find a new home unless I limit its use to sitting in a stand for pigs where I just have to carry it up a few steps.

Chet518

FNG
Buy a tikka to start. Then put it on a chassis if you want AR feel. You still will have a rifle that shoots great. You cant beat a bolt for accuracy. Go with 308 or 6.5.

I’d get a bolt action for hunting.

I think everyone should own an AR. But I use mine just for family protection. I much prefer a bolt action for hunting

11boo

WKR
To get a decently light and accurate large frame AR you will be in the neighborhood of 2k. My gen one DPMS .308 AR is a 1.5” shooter at 100,
but also goes over 10 lbs with scope and mag.

GLB

WKR
Ar10s are great and everybody should have one. However for the first hunting rifle I would get a bolt gun.
I have a AR10 in 6.5 CM that’s very accurate but weighs 11.5 lbs and limits how you hunt with it.

rayporter

WKR
get it if you can cause ......

now will you end up liking it or a bolt? hard to tell. i just find them awkward. give me a sleek single shot or light lever gun any day.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have built a handful of AR15s at this point and I believe 3 AR-10 type platforms. I’ll provide a summary of my general conclusions below:

-accuracy: I have personally not ever achieved the same accuracy with any AR platform as I can get from a bolt gun. IMO a good bolt gun can shoot 1/2 MOA. Best I’ve been able to do with heavy tinkering is about 1 MOA on an AR-10. I personally think for hunting that is good enough but I always tell folks expect it to be less accurate than a bolt gun (always exceptions).

-weight: it doesn’t have to be heavier than a bolt gun. I have a 16” AR-10 in 6.5C that weighs 5.5lbs without a scope. If I had a 20” barrel it would maybe come out a hair over 6lbs. It does have some fancy parts to make it that light and wasn’t cheap but it can be done.

-AR-10 build: like many have said parts are tough to find right now. AR-10s are not as standardized as AR15s and even tougher to find parts for. You will likely pay a premium. I’d venture to say best case AR10 build (12 months ago) maybe $750 or so. Now $1200-1500 if you can piece one together at all.

Unless you want an auto gun I’d really stead towards a bolt right now. I’d go Tikka if you hand load for 6.5C. If you don’t hand load I’d look at the Ruger and some of the other options.

CO-AJ

WKR
I agree with many posters. My first hunting rifle was a Ruger M77R in 300WM. I still have that gun, and have only had a smith machine a brake onto the barrel. In addition I have a PWS (IMO best AR-10 out there) which is fun, but not designed for me as a hunting rifle. It is quite a bit heavier than my Ruger in part because it is a piston AR rather than a DI. I bought the AR-10 because I wanted an AR platform with a bit more punch that your standard 5.56 variety. Different strokes for different folks, enjoy the research...

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
-weight: it doesn’t have to be heavier than a bolt gun. I have a 16” AR-10 in 6.5C that weighs 5.5lbs without a scope. If I had a 20” barrel it would maybe come out a hair over 6lbs. It does have some fancy parts to make it that light and wasn’t cheap but it can be done.
An AR-10 in that weight class requires some fairly exotic parts, and a pencil profile barrel. IMO a pencil profile barrel on an AR-10 kind of defeats the purpose.

I know, because I just built one with a xanthos receiver set, JP LMOS bolt, all titanium V7 bits and magnesium handguard, smoke composites stock set, etc etc, and it still clocked in at 7lbs with a 20” proof CF barrel in 6.5 CM.