AR-10 or Bolt Action?

Tahoe1305

WKR
An AR-10 in that weight class requires some fairly exotic parts, and a pencil profile barrel. IMO a pencil profile barrel on an AR-10 kind of defeats the purpose.

I know, because I just built one with a xanthos receiver set, JP LMOS bolt, all titanium V7 bits and magnesium handguard, smoke composites stock set, etc etc, and it still clocked in at 7lbs with a 20” proof CF barrel in 6.5 CM.
Agree with this, but it is possible to make it as light. Does come at a cost and some trade offs.

If I were in your position I’d probably get a Tikka in 6.5 creedmoor and then watch the aero precision blem page for an ar10 lower receiver. If you live in a place with hogs, I’d give an ar10 the edge.

At the current prices, the Larue ultimate upper kit is a decent option. The 308 PredatAR profile comes in at 8# I think. I just got a 6.5 grendel in the mail from Larue that shoots .5” groups. You will have to be prepared to wait though, usually takes 3-6 months+ to actually get one.

If the reason you want an AR has anything to do with self defense, get an AR15 and a suppressor and a separate bolt rifle.

I would not recommend going this route. Building or purchasing an AR10 that is as accurate as bolt guns nowadays would cost you about $3000. You could buy a very nice bolt gun and very nice ar15 for the same price. Also, ar10 will be heavier, bulkier, clumsier, and louder to handle (chambering rounds, etc. ) I just made this mistake (I already had bolt guns and ARs, just thought id build an AR 10 to hint with). It sat in my safe for a year after I zeroed it, and I just sold it the other day. Not much use for it. It was so damn heavy I just didnt see a need for it as a hunting gun or a “defensive” gun. I would rather hunt with a $300 TC Compss than my $2,000 AR10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An AR-10 in that weight class requires some fairly exotic parts, and a pencil profile barrel. IMO a pencil profile barrel on an AR-10 kind of defeats the purpose.

I know, because I just built one with a xanthos receiver set, JP LMOS bolt, all titanium V7 bits and magnesium handguard, smoke composites stock set, etc etc, and it still clocked in at 7lbs with a 20” proof CF barrel in 6.5 CM.

I thought the same. If I had an AR10 that weighed that little, i’d be scared to drop it on my bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk