AR-15 questions/help

brettpsu

Lil-Rokslider
So I bought a Black Rain Ordnance SSP 5.56 AR the other day. I'm not a huge gun nut, so speak dummy to me please haha. Bought the gun for varmint, plinking, defense and just because I can. There's so many options for AR's that it's almost overwhelming. Gun is still bare bones just waiting for me to finish it. I don't really want to dump money into anything it already has.....triggers, stocks, grips, etc because I really wouldn't know the difference between a quality trigger and the trigger that comes with it. I can add these things on at a later time too. So what I'm looking to do is put a scope on it, foregrip, extra mags, sling and a flashlight. Do these items listed make sense or is there something better?

Scope-Burris RT6 1-6x24 with the fastfire III red dot on top(like the idea of magnification and the red dot combo)

Mags-PMags

Vertical Grip-Magpul M-Lok

Flashlight-open to any ideas....Are the vertical grip lights any good? Ratings didn't seem great for many of them.

Sling-open to any ideas

One more thing...Do you prefer to use M-Lok components or add M-Lok Picatinny rails for the components?

I like the AR platform, ALOT. Heres my two cents.....

1-an LVPO is awesome, but takes some time getting used to. With practice, you can be as fast on 1x as you can with a red dot. Having an LVPO with an illuminated reticle also helps.

2-I don’t care for a forward type grip. They get more in my way than help.

3-I like using a Surefire X300 light on my rifles. I mount it on the top rail and can use it with either hand.

4-for a general purpose rifle, I stick with a milspec two stage trigger and use a set of anti-rotation pins.

5-if I want to attach something to my MLOK rail, I try to attach it directly, no adding an extra rail.

Hope this helps.

bsnedeker

WKR

1-an LVPO is awesome, but takes some time getting used to. With practice, you can be as fast on 1x as you can with a red dot. Having an LVPO with an illuminated reticle also helps.

3-I like using a Surefire X300 light on my rifles. I mount it on the top rail and can use it with either hand.

4-for a general purpose rifle, I stick with a milspec two stage trigger and use a set of anti-rotation pins.

5-if I want to attach something to my MLOK rail, I try to attach it directly, no adding an extra rail.

Hope this helps.

The only thing I'll add to this is....nothing at all. Spot on!

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider

Hope this helps.
I’d agree with this 100%, being an ar nut myself. A forward grip is not that useful, I’d skip it. If you really want one then get a BCM Kag. Surefire x300 scout is the bees knees.

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Larue trigger..it's a great upgrade for under $100.

Vortex Viper 1-6x24 is another good scope to check out.

Unless you're trying to do alot of fast shooting and drills you don't need a foregrip.

Any light from Surefire will serve you great!

For slings check out Ferro Concepts, they make a nice adjustable one in either padded or non padded

crich

WKR
X2 on foregoing a foregrip. I feel that I have less control using one and its just in the way.

I like the inforce weapon light with an offset rail attachment. Puts the button right at my thumbpad when gripping the handguard.

A good trigger will make your experience more enjoyable so I'd upgrade sooner than later personally; a few good budget minded options already listed.

No need to add a rail just mlock compatible accessories. Less weight and cleaner. I dont like a bunch of junk hanging off my rifles though.

Slings Im in love with my blue force gear sling with qd attachment points.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

The absolute first thing you want to do is upgrade trigger (assuming yours has the regular $7 "lower parts kit" trigger in it).