AR build for coyotes?

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
Any opinions between the Valkyrie vs Nosler?

Both are effectively 22 caliber variants of the 6.8 SPC. The 224 Valkyrie is far better executed than the 22 Nosler, however. The Nosler is - effectively - a rebated rim 6.8 spc with a 223/5.56 sized 0.378” rim, such it uses standard 223/5.56 bolts, but 6.8 SPC mags. It’s a longer case than standard 6.8 SPC, with the same 1.75” trim length as 223/5.56. Execution on the brass has left a bit to be desired, and a lot of folks have had issues with rim dimensions for extraction. The long 1.75-1.76” case doesn’t leave room for the long, high BC, heavy weight bullets to be seated to mag length, so it’s limited to ~77’s, just like 223/5.56. Equally, standard twist for the Nosler is 1:8”, too slow to run the heavyweight bullets even if they were single fed instead of mag fed. Of course, a custom barrel can be ordered with any twist, but the mag length issue remains. The Nosler made a “past generation mistake,” in my opinion, designing the case for under weight bullets - fast and light only works so far, as poor BC’s shed speed like crazy (odd to consider the 77SMK a poor BC after all of these years shooting it for long range in 223, but the 77’s .372G1 does look pretty lackluster beside the 90SMK’s .504G1!!). Like most of the Nosler cartridges, ammo and brass are only available through one (or a select few) companies. Nosler operates similarly to Weatherby in that way - their rounds are effectively proprietary, which will always limit their market. I personally think the “mix and match” game they played with 6.8 spc cases and 223/5.56 dimensions was a silly attempt to pander to folks who don’t know any better. They run the same 55kpsi and same internal head face area, so they have the same exact bolt thrust, but the Nosler has a smaller rim, which is easier to malform, causing extraction issues.

Alternatively, the 224 Valkyrie pushes back the shoulder of a standard 6.8 SPC case and trims at 1.58-1.60”, leaving plenty of room for the big 80-90grn 22 cal bullets with super slippery BC’s, but still has the case capacity to get them downrange in a hurry. The Valkyrie launch didn’t happen without a few stumbles. There were some bad reamers out there, and a lot of folks have claimed the 90’s need a 1:6.5” twist because the early Federal 90grn loads were terrible (now replaced), but there have been plenty of us shooting 88-90’s from 1:7” twists successfully (getting a 1:6.5” won’t hurt anything, but it does limit your options for sourcing your barrel). Brass and barrels are more widely available for the Valkyrie. When the Valkyrie dropped a year after the Nosler, it was clear, the end is coming for the 22 Nosler. Federal and Savage pushed products widely to market with blistering speed, and the chambering was pushed out by every custom barrel maker in the game, and several other MSR makers. The Nosler does have a slightly bigger case, so with the same bullet weight, it has a 50-100fps advantage, but the higher BC’s possible in the Valkyrie start making up the difference downrange in a hurry (the Hornady 88.5 ELD is awesome!).

To be honest, I’m not really a fan of either, but as a fan of all things pertaining to long range AR-15’s, the 224 Valkyrie is the better option. Admittedly, there’s really nothing I can do in the coyote fields with a 22 Nosler or 224 Valkyrie that can’t be done with a 223/5.56 AR within 100yrds or so - but the brass for Nosler and Valkyrie costs more and is less available, they eat more powder, and they burn out barrels faster. So these are an interesting novelty for me, and I’d rather have a 6mm Grendel variant (mines a 243LBC, but Hornady is about to drop a 6mm ARC), but if CO says 22cal and less to avoid deer hunting confusion, the 224 Valkyrie is the one I’d pick.

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
I have two ARs build for hunting coyotes. Long range ar15 with a 20" barrel for field hunting. and I have an ar15 pistol for my pickup gun. It has a 10.5" barrel and since it is a pistol it can be carried loaded all the time in the pickup, so when you see one jetting across the field you can easily jump out and start firing.

OP
wildwilderness
So I was talking with a friend while putting together a Rem 700 6cm with a Remage barrel about ARs. He happens to have a few in a number of different set ups both ar 10 and 15.

I definitely like the small lighter weight of the AR 15, and want one light weight. He did bring up a point that I didn’t even realize- we live in AK and can go hunt wolves! The open tundra allows for long range and wolves are tougher than Yotes!

So he said the AR 10 in a 6 or 6.5 cm would be his choice for wolves. The other option is to get two barrels for an AR 15 with one 22 or 20cal and the other in 6mm or 6.5.

If you were to do 2 barrels for an AR which two would you do? Length?

Smid

WKR
So I was talking with a friend while putting together a Rem 700 6cm with a Remage barrel about ARs. He happens to have a few in a number of different set ups both ar 10 and 15.

I definitely like the small lighter weight of the AR 15, and want one light weight. He did bring up a point that I didn’t even realize- we live in AK and can go hunt wolves! The open tundra allows for long range and wolves are tougher than Yotes!

So he said the AR 10 in a 6 or 6.5 cm would be his choice for wolves. The other option is to get two barrels for an AR 15 with one 22 or 20cal and the other in 6mm or 6.5.

If you were to do 2 barrels for an AR which two would you do? Length?

You can’t mix ar15 compatible calibers with ar10 so you’re limited on caliber choice. AR10 can have a lot of propriety parts, it’s not like the milspec of ar15. The only way I could see you feasibly switching calibers is having another dedicated upper

OP
wildwilderness
You can’t mix ar15 compatible calibers with ar10 so you’re limited on caliber choice. AR10 can have a lot of propriety parts, it’s not like the milspec of ar15. The only way I could see you feasibly switching calibers is having another dedicated upper

Yeah, my friend said just get an Ar15 AND a AR10 and problem solved 😆

SpookySpectre308

Lil-Rokslider
I want a 22-250 because of hunting with thermal. Its hard to judge distance at night. So the further your PBR is the less chance you have of missing. I got a double the other night and I thought both were a lot closer then they were.

I personally run a .204 Ruger MPBR at 275 using 32g Blitz. Haven't found anything better to allow a faster follow up shot. ARs are heavy and the recoil is non existent. Haven't built a Valkyrie yet. Going to need more safe space...

Block

WKR
If you miss the first shot with a bolt action rifle I don’t think an AR is guna help...

SoDaky

WKR
Use ARs at times but sure not needed for doubles.Or even triples on rare occasions.

MAC1585

FNG
While a 22-250 would be nice I agree w/ the others there ain’t nothing light about an ar10. I prefer a 204, but if you are worried about Colorado’s regs I would go w/ the 224 Valkyrie.

SpookySpectre308

Lil-Rokslider
You're absolutely right. The OP also said they were looking to go relatively light. 22-250 is certainly going to have longer legs than the 15 family calibers but was speaking to the lighter options. Definitely wasn't paying enough attention to what you were saying.

Which has nothing to do with him missing the first dog with a long gun...

OP
wildwilderness
If you miss the first shot with a bolt action rifle I don’t think an AR is guna help...

Sure it will. I’m talking about opportunistic shots- like driving the truck down the road and slamming the brakes on and jumping out and shooting at a moving yote. Quick follow up shots work. Like a 10/22 on rabbits or a semi auto on birds!

brownth2

FNG
Here's what I use. After dark, I don't get the opportunity around here to take real long shots, so not to concerned with major drop/wind issue. I wanted something light with a good trigger. The lower I had from an order done through work. I bought a complete kit from PSA on sale. It's an 18" barrel in .223 with MagPul furniture. Geiselle G2S trigger which is well worth the upgrade from what came stock. With everything I put about $550 in. You're already using thermal, I got about the only NVG I could afford which was still a lot for me. Sightron fixed 6.5 power scope with an IR illuminator. it will go for about 4.5 hours before I have to change out the batteries depending on how much I use the IR. It's worked very well for me. AR Resize.jpg

hunting1

WKR
So I must be one of the few without an AR! I would like to build one for coyotes, since I unfortunately tend to miss them on my first shot! I have plenty of bolt action rifles so it’s time for an AR style.

From your collective wisdom what would you do for an AR that is accurate, relatively light, reliable, and did I mention accurate? Also what cartridge? I already load for a 22-250, can I make an AR for that?
As said above the 6.5 Grendel is the ticket! I have never lost one to a .223 and a 55gr BK or BT.

Block

WKR
Sure it will. I’m talking about opportunistic shots- like driving the truck down the road and slamming the brakes on and jumping out and shooting at a moving yote. Quick follow up shots work. Like a 10/22 on rabbits or a semi auto on birds!

Well my point was that if you miss a coyote that’s either standing still or trotting slowly,, ur prolly not guna hit him on the dead sprint.. no matter what gun ur shooting... but sure you rip off 10 rounds you might get lucky ,, prolly not..

So I must be one of the few without an AR! I would like to build one for coyotes, since I unfortunately tend to miss them on my first shot! I have plenty of bolt action rifles so it’s time for an AR style.

From your collective wisdom what would you do for an AR that is accurate, relatively light, reliable, and did I mention accurate? Also what cartridge? I already load for a 22-250, can I make an AR for that?
I bought a sig m400 predator, it was the best balance I could find for what I wanted. I looked into building one but couldn’t find a way to get that quality with less weight for the money.

it’s a legit 1/2” rifle with a couple loads, has really good balance too. I bought it for calling lions, but it’s my coyote rifle too when I’m hunting them

lots of good options these days, I just know myself, if I build one I will get carried away. 223/556 is plenty for dogs... it’s plenty for lions, and my wife killed her first buck with it this fall.

I liked the idea of an ar-10, but the weight wasn’t worth it to me for the purpose