AR build for coyotes?

AZ_J

FNG
Well after researching and getting overwhelmed on just the shear amount of info on many various predator hunting forums, I am starting to purchase my 'yote gun.

I will be hunting all over Arizona. Plan to use this as a coyote calling gun and camp target gun to see who cooks dinner. Shots for coyotes probably under 300 yards. Target shots hopefully 1000 yards (not saying we will hit steel that far)

Here is my plan.

Gun: Ruger AR 556 MPR (18" 1:8 RH Twist) Stock - No Upgrades for now. Will Probably do trigger soon
Ammo: Winchester Super-X 55gr PSP
Scope: Nikon P223 3-9x40
Bipod: Swagger Stalker QD42
Suppressor: AAC 556-SD (34Db Reduction) - Not too informed on suppressor selection for coyote hunting)

Please let me know what you think?
The rifle is just at the price point I want. Not looking to change as it is purchased already.
Ammo is undecided and just went with cheap option found at any walmart.
Let me know if you recommend another scope.

In my opinion, there is no better varmint cartridges than a 40gr Vmax out of a 204 at around 3800 feet or a 22-250 with 50gr bullets going around the same speed. Right around 16” of drop at 400 yards and basically hold dead on at any distance closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So looking at the options on an AR 15 it looks like the 22 Valkyrie and 22 Nosler are the new options to the 223. I’m leaning towards a 22 cal because I do hunt in CO where they have the rule of 22 cal and smaller if hunting during a big game season.

Any opinions between the Valkyrie vs Nosler?

Between the Valkyrie and the Nosler I would go Nosler. The dogtown ammo off midway is some of the best stuff for the Nosler and very economical. Most 22” setups are running right at 3500fps and that is about as good as it gets. Packs a wallop on coyotes. Didn’t care for my Valkyrie much, is more of a long range consistent cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No AR built for coyote use is worth a hill of beans without a great trigger.

Just posted a Geissele SSP Flat Bow and a JP single-stage on gun classifieds. [Sold and sold.]

Last edited:

Chipz

FNG
Well after researching and getting overwhelmed on just the shear amount of info on many various predator hunting forums, I am starting to purchase my 'yote gun.

I will be hunting all over Arizona. Plan to use this as a coyote calling gun and camp target gun to see who cooks dinner. Shots for coyotes probably under 300 yards. Target shots hopefully 1000 yards (not saying we will hit steel that far)

Here is my plan.

Gun: Ruger AR 556 MPR (18" 1:8 RH Twist) Stock - No Upgrades for now. Will Probably do trigger soon
Ammo: Winchester Super-X 55gr PSP
Scope: Nikon P223 3-9x40
Bipod: Swagger Stalker QD42
Suppressor: AAC 556-SD (34Db Reduction) - Not too informed on suppressor selection for coyote hunting)

Please let me know what you think?
The rifle is just at the price point I want. Not looking to change as it is purchased already.
Ammo is undecided and just went with cheap option found at any walmart.
Let me know if you recommend another scope.

For a dual purpose gun hitting targets reliably at 1k, youll be disappointed and frustrated with .223/5.56, especially in any amount of wind.

I want a 22-250 because of hunting with thermal. Its hard to judge distance at night. So the further your PBR is the less chance you have of missing. I got a double the other night and I thought both were a lot closer then they were.
I went the other way, down to the 204 Ruger to get the flat trajectory. The 22-250 recoil is not much on the shoulder but enough muzzle jump to take the scope off target. The 204 allows me to confirm the hits.

Building an “long action” AR takes a little more research when you are ordering parts because there are different designs. The “short action” AR-15 is a standard design and as easy to build as a lego set.

Sdieffen

FNG
I would buy an AR-15 lower and an AR upper in 224 Valkyrie. I bought a 224 Valkyrie upper from Palmetto State for $399 and it will shoot sub MOA with the 60 gr Nosler and around 1 MOA with the cheapo 75 gr American Eagle ammo. The round is a great long distance target round and has a high enough BC to allow it to buck wind well, even when shooting out to 1000 yards. The 60 gr Nosler will be almost as fast as your 22-250. You can shoot up to 90 gr bullets depending on what you are doing.

It doesn't compare with a 6.5 CM at distance, but a 6.5 CM in an AR will be an AR-10 build which will be more expensive and quite a bit heavier. The 224 Valkyrie recoil is like shooting a hot 5.56. Less recoil and cheaper ammo than a 6.8 SPC although a 6.8 would be a better deer and antelope caliber in an AR-15 platform.

With the same AR-15 lower, you can add:
- a 224 Valkyrie upper for coyotes and varmints
- a 5.56 upper to shoot for plinking with cheap 5.56 ammo and hunt varmints with decent hunting ammo
- a 300 Blackout for home defense and deer/black bear/hogs out to 200 yards

An AR-15 is like Legos, you can mix and match parts, stocks, grips, etc. and set it up just how you want. It takes less than 30 seconds to switch out uppers onto the same lower. And the lower is what is considered a firearm by the ATF. So you are actually only going to the FFL once since you can buy whatever upper you want and have it sent to your house. You can spend $1500+ on a nice Mercedes Benz AR like a Daniel Defense or Larue but you can also get sub MOA accuracy with good ammo out of some mid-priced versions like PSA, Springfield, and S&W.

This^^^^! I have two .224 Valkyrie's from PalmettoState. Very accurate and very affordable.

OP
wildwilderness
I just saw an upper for sale chambered in 25wssm for an AR 15. I didn’t think about the WSSM line for an AR build. Does anyone have experience with it?

I built an upper in 6.8 SPC. Works well for coyote hunting and have killed a bunch of deer with it (it's a great gun for new hunters, low recoil, easy to adjust and point).

However, it's a little too heavy for my liking and I only have 9x scope on it.

I already had an AR carbine so I reused my lower. However, I swapped out my milspec trigger for a RRA Varmint and this made a big difference in shootability!

AR in .223 is a great rifle for coyotes. I shoot a supressed .223 AR. It is a handloaded 55 grain Varmagedon over 25.5 grains of Varget. I have had a few runners this year so when I hunt tournaments I use my .22-250 shooting the 50 grain Hornady superformance. Both put them down but the 250 anchors them in place.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200401-170348_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200401-170348_Gallery.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 29

bbell

WKR
2CF631BC-B7AB-464C-861E-D08110A7B013.jpeg
Here is my 6.5 Grendel. 7.5lbs with scope. You could get a faxon ultralight barrel in any caliber and be around the same weight maybe even lighter. This one is an Odin works. I need to get the aero precision scope mount and an swfa ultralight scope and I will be closer to 7lbs. Spent about $500. I would drop weight in lots of areas but the price tag goes up considerably from were I’m at now.