AR build for coyotes?

Smid

WKR
EDABAD76-7994-4128-8957-43A56863235C.jpeg

Did a little upgrading lately. Went from Grendel to .22 nosler, proof barrel. JP bcg and silent capture spring and thermion xp50. Should be sighting and testing tonight.

Smid

WKR
-Seekins billet upper, lower, and handguard
-timney trigger
-dracos 6.5 grendel 18”
-bushnell smrs 1-8.5
-banish 30

After doing a bunch of research and even more trial and error, I think this is a great setup as a do-it-all rifle . It’s only 1.3 mils of drop at 300. Compact for box blinds along with more comfortable to ears and shoulders.

Those seekins lowers are slick. That’s going to be a future purchase for sure

View attachment 212847

Did a little upgrading lately. Went from Grendel to .22 nosler, proof barrel. JP bcg and silent capture spring and thermion xp50. Should be sighting and testing tonight.

That’s a badass rig. I wanna pull the trigger on the 22nos, just wish Midway would keep the bulk dogtown ammo in stock occasionally!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbell

WKR
Will be curious about how you like the silent capture spring. Been thinking of getting something like that. The spring sound drives me nuts.

I did just upgrade for my AR grendel as well. Couldn’t resist and got the SWFA ultralight bdc with aeroprecision mount. Will be even lighter and compact now.

Smid

WKR
Will be curious about how you like the silent capture spring. Been thinking of getting something like that. The spring sound drives me nuts.

I did just upgrade for my AR grendel as well. Couldn’t resist and got the SWFA ultralight bdc with aeroprecision mount. Will be even lighter and compact now.

I’m pretty happy with the spring after just firing some rounds. I couldn’t really hear the spring noise at all. I wasn’t actually planning on getting one, I bought a rifle for parts and it was on it (to my surprise)

Smid

WKR
That’s a badass rig. I wanna pull the trigger on the 22nos, just wish Midway would keep the bulk dogtown ammo in stock occasionally!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I got some of their Varmageddon, I don’t think the dogtown is ever coming back lol

grefdog

FNG
I really like the Shilen barrel I used on my last build. I would add it to the list if you haven’t considered it!

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider

I noticed the spring reducing felt recoil. It seems more solid and you don’t notice the weight moving, if that makes any sense. I always preferred shooting a bolt action suppressed because the recoil felt more solid and the silent capture spring moved the AR’s recoil much more like that of a bolt action.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been down this road and back.
Started with a bolt .222 remington. Went to a tikka 22-250, then a alexpro firearms ar10 in 22-250. Now im back to a bolt tikka in 22-250.
The AR10 in 22-250 is nice. 9 rounds just as fast as you can squeeze the trigger. Its also 11.5lbs empty. AR's get dirty fast, they are fussy when cycling in really cold weather. They are heavy, and loud when you release the charging handle. The APF I had cost me what 2.33 tikkas would have cost me in terms of initial investment.
My tikka t3x varmint in a krg bravo stock weighs 7lbs. Its accurate, easy to clean, quiet to cycle, and just flat out kills coyotes. Dosent mind cold weathet, will run if its super dirty, ect.
If you practice cycling a bolt rifle and staying on target, you can get pretty fast at shooting accurately.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been down this road and back.
Started with a bolt .222 remington. Went to a tikka 22-250, then a alexpro firearms ar10 in 22-250. Now im back to a bolt tikka in 22-250.
The AR10 in 22-250 is nice. 9 rounds just as fast as you can squeeze the trigger. Its also 11.5lbs empty. AR's get dirty fast, they are fussy when cycling in really cold weather. They are heavy, and loud when you release the charging handle. The APF I had cost me what 2.33 tikkas would have cost me in terms of initial investment.
My tikka t3x varmint in a krg bravo stock weighs 7lbs. Its accurate, easy to clean, quiet to cycle, and just flat out kills coyotes. Dosent mind cold weathet, will run if its super dirty, ect.
If you practice cycling a bolt rifle and staying on target, you can get pretty fast at shooting accurately.

this post outlines the many reasons why the AR10 platform is not the greatest. Ar15 platform calibers clears up all of your problems though.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
this post outlines the many reasons why the AR10 platform is not the greatest. Ar15 platform calibers clears up all of your problems though.
Ar 15 calibers do not match the performance of the venerable 22-250.
Many have tried, many have come close, but, in the end, the ar15 calibers do not preform as well. They still kill coyotes. But like Bob Wills in Texas, 22-250 is still king

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
My coyotes guns are Stiller .204, and Shilen .243 with light bullets. I prefer bolt guns for most scenarios.

Kwindjue

FNG
There are different actions sizes. Just loke long action short action. You have Ar15's and Ar10s.
I would stray away feom 22-250. They are known to have feed issues.
Carbon barrel's are certainly thing. However pricey and only saving a few oz's.
I personally shoot a 6x6.8spc. (6.8spc necked down to 6mm) I have ran everything from 55gr's at just over 4000fps to 70gr nbt at 3800fps.
However there are so many rounds to run in a Ar15 just pick one and have fun. I would choose one however that fits your needs a little better. How far are you planning to shoot? How windy is it? Things to take into consideration.
If you are getting these velocities from a 6x6.8, you are way over safe pressures

My vote goes to the 6.5 grendel relatively easy to find ammo for ime it will flatten yotes and it can even double for wolves mtn lion and deer I want one in a bolt gun but I have more wants than I’ve got money for.

I've been using a .223 Remington Predator for years, shoots very accurately.
I recently decided to build my own AR-Pistol for a Truck Gun, but also would love to smoke some coyotes with it.
I ended up doing a Palmetto State Armory build.
Grabbed a "blemished" lower, I think only issue was a mismatch in color,
then I put an upper on it with a red dot and iron sites,
Just took it out around thanksgiving to try to put some coyotes down.
Ended up target shooting and loved the whole feel of it.
Only issue now is the price of bullets! about $1 a round unless you buy bulk.
Hoping to snag a 1000 for a better price point.